Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Firewall Backward and Forward
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2007, 04:46 PM

Default Narrowed it down to 2

Hi Folks,

So it's been a while since I've posted. I've been busy both working and not working.

In any case, I'm now working on chapter 14 of my cozy project, and I'm giving more thought to the engine. I believe I have narrowed it down to 2 choices. The first is the Superior XP-400. The second is the Delthawk DH200A4. I have been considering pro's and cons of each, and summerized it as such:

Superior-
Pro's: Install should be fairly close to stock, with only minor modifications needed. Air cooled simplicity. Fairly decent power (220hp). Vast parts availability.
Con's: Higher fuel burn to go with higher power output. High rebuild cost. 4 stroke, 4 cylinder vibrations.

Deltahawk-
Pro's: Turbonormalized making rated HP to 18k feet. Uses cheaper Jet-A. Lower BSFC. 2 stroke 4 cylinder should be smoother. Lower (supposedly) overhaul cost. No valvetrain or ignition failures.
Con's: Supercharger and turbocharger add complexity. Water cooling adds complexity. Limited parts availability. Will likely require moderate install changes (cowling and plumbing). Unproven in the field.

I would love some input on things I've overlooked. For example one of my friends pointed out, that if Deltahawk were to go out of business after a few years, how would I obtain parts? Clearly Superior has been in business longer, and has a longer track record.

Thoughts?

John Basol
Big Lake, MN
N204TF - Chapter 14
Old 01-31-2007, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Have you figured out a cost comparison?
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 01-31-2007, 10:41 PM

I've made some loose comparisons.

The initial installation is about the same for cost, perhaps even a couple more bucks for the Deltahawk. The cost difference in the long run is supposed to favor the deltahawk. Again, I use "supposed to" because there aren't any long term examples to really quote as fact. Deltahawk says rebuild costs are around $5k, which depending on what has to be replaced in a Lyc, may certainly be an advantage. The fuel savings is probably the biggest gain for the deltahawk. Around $20,000 over the course of 2000 hours.

To be honest, I think the biggest issue with the Deltahawk at the moment is going to be availability. I have an email in to them inquiring about that. They have order forms on their website, so one might think they're getting close to shipping, but then again, Innodyn has order forms too.

-John
Old 01-31-2007, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

From what i know of the deltahawk - i would expet it to cost 10,000 or more to install than the xp400
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 02-01-2007, 09:28 AM

Oh wow! I wasn't aware there was such a large cost difference. What is the big cost there? Looked like the engine was approximately the same cost. I didn't really see a whole lot in added gear needed. The radiator would add some cost, but that's about all I could see. The XP-400 lists for 29,995, the deltahawk for 32,450. If you add electronic ignition to the XP-400(which I would do), the price goes up to about 31,800.

-John
Old 02-01-2007, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Oh - i thought the xp400 was 20,000 ish! is that the 360?
dust