Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Plane Specific Questions Tips, Tricks Area for All Canard Kits and Plans Planes
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2005, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBarber
Yeah, but be aware the Velo-5 is pretty heavy. They reinforce it in many places and that adds weight. Even the engine is hevier. FWIW.
Well guys I have been at the drawing table. I am designing in Airplane PDQ and test flying in X-plane.

Mission: Cross country cruise at or above 200 kts, carrying up to Six adults and one child or small person (with luggage) in comfort. Range will hopefully be over 1,000 nm.

The design is currently in it's very initial stages, but I am very encouraged by the results thus far.

The plan is still to use a turbo Mazda 20b (or Renisis), electronically fuel injected, as the power plant. The goal is around 400 hp, unless it becomes apparent we don't need that much. Right now the plan is for a fixed pitch composite propellor, but I could be sold on a constant speed or in-flight adjustable prop.

Anyone who is an Aircraft designer and can give 'positive' (read helpful) consctructive criticism is welcome to my source files for either or both of Airplane PDQ or X-plane. I need to clean them up some before I am willing to share them though.

Here are some three view drawings from PDQ. When I have the skin looking right I will post some screen captures from X-plane.

Thanks for looking... and thanks in advance for your feedback.

---Mike

[IMG]SevenZ 3D view[/IMG] [IMG]SevenZ Front View[/IMG] [IMG]SevenZ Side View[/IMG] [IMG]SevenZ Top View[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SevenZ-Front-View.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	816  Click image for larger version

Name:	SevenZ-Side-View.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	817  Click image for larger version

Name:	SevenZ-Top-View.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	818  Click image for larger version

Name:	SevenZ-3D-View.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	819  

Last edited by Wapati8 : 04-09-2007 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:27 AM

had a long talk with Dave and i did remember him saying that HP =heat so you can get the hp and the rpm but the 20 is costly to over haul and you'll need 2 of the T4's,the stock turbos wont last and you'll need a prop you can pitch.Dave's got a good electric one on his plan now, and you can buy the twin turbo compete in the car as a runner right now form him for 5500.us
he has a old one,but its been in a box,mite need a shaft (???$$$)
Old 03-01-2005, 02:28 PM
Ray V.

Default Engine Choice

Just one question. Why did you choose the 20B over the Renesis? The Renesis seems to be the up and coming engine. More efficient & better power/weight ratio. From what I’ve seen the Renesis is about 70 lbs lighter than the 20B and a full 225 hp. So with twin RX-8 Renesis engines you’d have about 450 hp with an install weight of 140 lbs less than the two 20B’s.

http://www.rotaryaviation.com/faq.html
Old 03-01-2005, 10:04 PM

if you have 450 hp you need to cool it. so far all i here is the Renie is still a dog(i have hi hopes for it) I'm planing on the 13b turbo and after i fly it some and don't like the power I'll go 20 or Rennie,depending if it is sea worthy yet.
i don't want to be a test pilot,just a good pilot. with a electric pitch,a turbo,and rg,it should be the fastest at my airport.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:44 PM
Ray V.

Default Renesis

Oh little Stevie. By the time you’re a grown-up, they’ll all be flying with perpetual motion machines… You photo’s current… Right?

Anywho, in all seriousness; the Renesis produces less HP than the 20B so I’m not sure where you’re going with the “you’ll have to cool it.” You’ll have to cool the 20B’s even more. Since this discussion is on a twin canard, it stands to reason that each engine would be independently cooled. So really we’re talking about 225 vs. 240 hp.

Also, I wasn’t aware that the Renesis was a dog. To my knowledge there are none flying yet? Does this engine have a poor track record? If so I’d be interested to hear why?

Regardless, I doubt seriously that this 6-seat canard could see the light of day in less than 12-15 years. It stands to reason that such a design be based on new technology rather than an engine that has already seen it’s glory days… especially when the intent is to avoid a Lycosaurus.

Just my thoughts.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:56 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Tracy Crook is flying a Renesis. He's very pleased with it. See http://rotaryaviation.com
Old 03-02-2005, 12:05 AM

iv only got input from 3 source's 1. Dave @ Atkins rotary

2. Tracy cook

3. some one that was in front of tracy(@50%)
it just need some work IMO.
Dave said its a heavy and hot
and Tracy said don't buy it,but buy the 13b

i almost bought the car,drove it and wow....
a Friend did however buy one and she loves it.
Mazda gets 5500. in the box new.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:07 PM

If I were building it as a twin (twin engines, in nacelles on the wings) I would probably go for two Renesis crate motors.

I want to try building it as a single with one 20b using twin turbos.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapati8
I want to try building it as a single with one 20b using twin turbos.
Wow! Has anyone seen this article on a turbo charged Renisis?

390 horsepower at 7400 rpm!

An 82-percent gain in torque and a colossal 152-hp increase!

Maybe I don't need a 20b afterall?
Old 08-13-2006, 08:23 PM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapati8
Wow! Has anyone seen this article on a turbo charged Renisis?

390 horsepower at 7400 rpm!

An 82-percent gain in torque and a colossal 152-hp increase!

Maybe I don't need a 20b afterall?
Its one thing to produce it for a short period on the dyno or on the road, it is another to run it at 390hp for long sustained periods of time as we do in airplanes.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:29 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

No-one's going to use 390HP consistently in a Cozy. You'd be going way too fast and using way too much gas.... but it'd make for a nice take-off, and cruising at 60% @ 10000' would generate pretty impressive ground speeds.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:46 PM

"howling with power — 390 horsepower at 7400 rpm and 290 pound-feet of torque at 5100 rpm, according to our calculations with PTP’s chassis dyno data. "

Oops, bringing back my assertion again...
a) In cruise,
b) at a level attitude,
c) with a properly sized prop
d) with cruise pitch
e) that takes more than 290 pound-feet of torque to spin even faster,

you should see only 5100 rpm. That brings down the horsepower in those conditions.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:09 PM

Even though it is not cheap, if their 2 rotor is any indication ($31,500 for N/A and $35.500 for turbo), but Mistral (http://www.mistral-engines.com) just officially introduced their 3 rotor rotary at OshKosh (based on the second generation, 89-91, Mazda) They claim to be very close to announcing Certification and claiming up to 360 hp. This is the company that we got my new intake from (it arrived Wednesday). FWIW.

All the best,

Chris
Old 08-13-2006, 10:12 PM
builder wannabe

A hot, T04 Turbo S6 13B will do 400-500HP quite nicely, but as noted, not continously. I would like to see if the Renesis has overcome these limitations, as 500HP puts us in PT6 territory, and heralds a dangerous and impressive new era - always a good thing.

S
Old 08-14-2006, 03:21 AM
Rotary Powered Velocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWrightNZ
A hot, T04 Turbo S6 13B will do 400-500HP quite nicely, but as noted, not continously. I would like to see if the Renesis has overcome these limitations, as 500HP puts us in PT6 territory, and heralds a dangerous and impressive new era - always a good thing.

S
That HP range also puts you in the PT6 fuel burn range as well. Assuming a CONSERVATIVE 0.5 BSFC for a turbo 13B (i've heard 0.55 thrown around, but I dont have any hard facts)... that HP range equates to 41 gals/hr. Thats 1.5 hours fuel in my stock Velocity FG.

Of course, reality is.. you would only be at that power setting during takeoff and climb.. and have to throttle back significantly during cruise to keep the speed UNDER VNE in level flight.