Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Talk All About Canard Aviation > Just plane canard talk
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2007, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Default conversation with Nat

Chatted with Nat yesterday, he is recently back from his summer place in Minnesota.

Asked him if he minded me callin my blended stab Cozy a "cozy" - he don't care one little itsy bit.

He asked me why i was doin it - i told him - he does knot believe it will add speed.

He asked me ifin i was putting a lower winglet back on, i said no, he said i have to move my rear CG forward 1/2 inch.

He does not like the mod, but, knowing Nat, he does not like ANY mod to his Cozy!

Told me what he did when he mucked up a cut on a wing core, sliced it down the center and added a 1 inch slab of Styrofoam he cut and cut the wing core again.

He has 5 hours on his light sport airplane, time to pull the covers, check the valve rockers and retighten the head bolts.

He lamented the fact that cozy builders are not submitting completions to Sport Aviation for publication.

He sounded great, 82 and still chugging along, his current project is to paint the house
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 09-12-2007, 12:34 PM

Default Re: conversation with Nat

82 holy crap. I hope I'm in that kind of shape when I'm his age....I'm halfway there.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:44 PM
G.Norman

Quote:
He lamented the fact that cozy builders are not submitting completions to Sport Aviation for publication.
Good point. Seems the RVs dominate some publications. Those RV guys are builder wimps anyway. Punch and rivet holes. Big deal. Heck, now they don't even drill the holes. Why bother even saying you built it yourself? I can't wait to show off my Cozy in SA. All those years of cuts and skin rashes and ruined clothes/tools/floor/bench with epoxy. The good old days of gagging the fumes and sticky hair. Micro and epoxy sanding dust all over everything and grinding away your tool bearings. The combination of sweat and epoxy. Yeah baby, that buildin'!! Nat probably remembers those good old days well.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:17 PM

with just a sport lic can you have a passenger in the plane ?
Old 09-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Quote:
Why bother to submit to a magazine that has nothing to do with building? I didn't submit my completion to Anglers Weekly, either.
Quote:
Why bother even saying you built it yourself?
RV's are assembled. Canards are built.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Got Foam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade View Post
Why bother to submit to a magazine that has nothing to do with building? I didn't submit my completion to Anglers Weekly, either.
On that subject. My neighbor is building a single seat VW powered spam-can. Someone contacted him a couple weeks ago wanting to do an article on his project for SA. He declined but what they were looking for is someone building a plans based airplane ............... and why?
We add rocket's to everything!
Old 09-12-2007, 09:59 PM

Quote:
That's nonsense. There are MANY articles for homebuilders, plans builders included, in SA. You've got a bug up your butt against the EAA for some reason, and given that you've never even flown your plane to OSH, I don't understand your hatred for the organization and the magazine. The fact that they try to cater to kit builders, warbird enthusiasts, etc., doesn't detract from the FACT that they do a lot for homebuilders/plans builders as well.

Quote:
Get off the high horse. I know a number of folks building RV's. It's a LOT of work - different than a COZY, but hardly to be looked down your nose at. They're great planes, and are no less homebuilts than the COZY is. Talk to my co-worker about how much work it was to build the fuel tank for one wing, before you judge.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:43 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Well, I haven't seen an SA for the last 18 months. The year before that I found it becoming less and less relevant to anything I was interested in. That's just a personal opinion, but I hear it repeated often by others who have read later editions.

I wouldn't call it a bug up anything. I'm just not interested in EAA any more. I've never flown to OSH - probably never will, but I drove to Sun & Fun 5 years in a row. Each year it got more commercial, more noisy and less interesting. Another personal opinion.

As for RV builders, I never said building an RV isn't hard (but it does take about half as many hours), or I don't respect them. I have many freinds who fly RVs and I've watched an RV being built. Actually, in a way, its probably harder than composites just because it's more tedious. That's a lot of rivets. My point was that RV building is a matter of putting parts together. There's no creative component until you get to the paintwork. Building a canard is a lot more like BUILDING something from scratch. You have to create the parts first, and you get to add personal touches beyond what color seats you have.

My opinion. Nothing more.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:03 AM
EVOLUTION EZE

Quote:
Building a canard is a lot more like BUILDING something from scratch. You have to create the parts first, and you get to add personal touches beyond what color seats you have.

My opinion. Nothing more.
Thats because building a canard is from scratch. the RV is not from scratch. there are a lot of nice RV's out there and it takes a fair amount of work to put one together but no where near the work it takes to build a cozy. many of the RV builder use prefabed parts and sub assemblies made by others. any canard builder that has finished an airframe has the skills to build an RV but not many RV builders have the skills to build a cozy. there are many more skills to learn to build a cozy. the rv guys also need to learn several skills to build their aircraft , Riveting and riveting and more riveting.

Lynn Erickson A&P for lets say almost 30 years
Much better with a Dremel than a computer.
What if they gave me choice between a fast computer or a fast plane?
Old 09-13-2007, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Well john - lots of wanna be builders read sportaviation. I think you are doing the cozy/canard world a disservice by not sending a pic and description into the magazine for publication.
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 09-13-2007, 09:39 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Who needs it? Anyone who is thinking about building a Cozy, and Google's "cozy mkiv" will have instant access to far more information and pictures than will ever be published in hard copy. Try it. You get Marc's site, the official Cozy page, my site, Brian DeFord, the wiki, Clark Kennedy and Spruce on the first page.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Al who read sport aviation need it - it whets the appetite, simple as that. After seeing it they just might go and google it.

helps many take the first step

it is like putting a full color 1,000 add in the magazine
dust

Old 09-13-2007, 11:34 AM
EVOLUTION EZE

Quote:
Who needs it? Anyone who is thinking about building a Cozy, and Google's "cozy mkiv" will have instant access to far more information and pictures than will ever be published in hard copy. Try it. You get Marc's site, the official Cozy page, my site, Brian DeFord, the wiki, Clark Kennedy and Spruce on the first page.
that is tru but if you are new to the sport you may not have ever seen a cozy before you read about one in a magazine, so how would you know to goggle cozy. I am always suprized when I meet a pilot and they ask me, want is that, and tell me they have never seen one before. most of them are low time pilot but some are high time pilots also. to a lot of pilots a canard is something you see at a distance and by the time they get on the ground it is gone hidden in its hanger. so they go home and goggle homebuilt airplane and not much comes up about canards so they get imfo on the RV or kitfox because they have the wings where they are suppose to be anyway.

Lynn Erickson A&P for lets say almost 30 years
Much better with a Dremel than a computer.
What if they gave me choice between a fast computer or a fast plane?
Old 09-13-2007, 11:38 AM
Got Foam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Erickson View Post
..... on the RV or kitfox because they have the wings where they are suppose to be anyway.
..Not according to **Orville & Wilbur.

**(not the popcorn guy)
We add rocket's to everything!
Old 09-13-2007, 06:36 PM
Cozy #768

Data point:

I first saw the Cozy in a magazine, which led me to inquire further. Love at first sight.

(Countin' the days 'till Rough!)
Cozy Plans #768
http://home.earthlink.net/~jerskip