Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Instuments / Avionics / Electrical System
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2005, 01:08 AM

Default EFIS and Backup Instruments

I had this crazy idea today I thought I would share.

I was thinking about how the really nice EFIS, with AI, GPS Moving Map, Engine monitoring, etc,.. takes up so much panel space. In a Long-ez like I wan't to build one day, there would clearly be no room for backup instruments.

What I was thinking was that if the EFIS screen (lets say its 10 inches) was thin enough....eg..the electronics weren't built directly onto the back of it,..you could mount it in FRONT of a standard six-pac steam setup (or whatever you chose). I envisioned some sort of quick disconnect for the top of the EFIS display panel, and on a hinge.

If you wanted to get fancy, I guess you could also set the backup guages into a recessed box an inch or two deep so the display could be flush with the rest of the panel.

Should the EFIS fail, you could either swivel the display down out of the way, or even more elaborate, you might could slide it into a recess like a keyboard drawer on rails, thus giving you access to a full set of backup instruments.

Bart
Old 12-24-2005, 02:12 AM
Wannabe - with plans

Could have it hinged at the bottom, so you could fold down a place to put a plate of biscuits, a cheese platter & a couple of dips...

Seriously though it is an interesting concept. If it fails you no longer need to look at it. It would have to be robustly hinged so you can check your steam guages, at least at pre-flight.

You would lose the ability to cross-check electric vs steam easily. Might be better to just have less guages and/or a smaller EFIS.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:43 AM
Epoxy Fingerprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart
I had this crazy idea today I thought I would share.

I was thinking about how the really nice EFIS, with AI, GPS Moving Map, Engine monitoring, etc,.. takes up so much panel space. In a Long-ez like I wan't to build one day, there would clearly be no room for backup instruments.

What I was thinking was that if the EFIS screen (lets say its 10 inches) was thin enough....eg..the electronics weren't built directly onto the back of it,..you could mount it in FRONT of a standard six-pac steam setup (or whatever you chose). I envisioned some sort of quick disconnect for the top of the EFIS display panel, and on a hinge.

If you wanted to get fancy, I guess you could also set the backup guages into a recessed box an inch or two deep so the display could be flush with the rest of the panel.

Should the EFIS fail, you could either swivel the display down out of the way, or even more elaborate, you might could slide it into a recess like a keyboard drawer on rails, thus giving you access to a full set of backup instruments.

Bart

For that matter, you could mount the EFIS with the screen facing up and put a partial mirror to create a heads up display for the EFIS thereby leaving your entire panel free for steam gages.
Cozy Mark IV #1353 builder (weekends); Semiconductor Field Applications Enginer (weekdays).
Current status as of April '07:
*Chapter 4, 5 - completed
*Chapter 6 - in progres, fuselage assembled without a bottom, step 1 completed.

Continuing to make progress every weekend.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:11 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Interesting idea. I havent heard that suggested before. As spod says, I'd prefer to have both visible, but if there isnt room this could work. Perhaps one of those pop out video systems they make for cars could be adapted for use with an EFIS, so long as the mechanism doesnt die in the out and down position.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:02 PM

Default Heads Up Display

I have found the niche I want to fill, the First commercial Experimental HUD for GA, ( those of us who can't afford 200K+ aircraft ) what an idea, bet that would look sweet. The C-17a Has a HUD that flips Down, instead of being mounted to the top of the IP. But the Flip top DVD style is a great idea......heck I can't even lay claim to the HUD Idea......Oh well....

-Jonathan
#1052, 816

PS. The USHIP worked out very well. I got my project shipped half way across the country for less than 200 bucks, UPS came in a close second.....for $300 more.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:21 PM
Epoxy Fingerprints

Default Patent office

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddillon
For that matter, you could mount the EFIS with the screen facing up and put a partial mirror to create a heads up display for the EFIS thereby leaving your entire panel free for steam gages.
The idea seems popular.... I had better brush up on my review of the MPEP (manual of patent examining procedure) and get my patent submission off to the bureaucrats at the Patent and Trademark Office! I'm gonna be rich! woo-hoo...

(just kidding)

I love the idea of an elegantly simple HUD for homebuilts... it doubles your panel space. Maybe bluemountain is listening! All they would have to do is have a setting to "mirror" their video output for HUD installations. Of course, they would then have to sell an appropriate partial mirror (easily bought in and sold as a bundle).

MERRY CHRISTMAS! FLY SAFE!
Cozy Mark IV #1353 builder (weekends); Semiconductor Field Applications Enginer (weekdays).
Current status as of April '07:
*Chapter 4, 5 - completed
*Chapter 6 - in progres, fuselage assembled without a bottom, step 1 completed.

Continuing to make progress every weekend.