Default avionics new vrs used

well, got to tell you - the used price is so high - got to go new

sl30 new 3100 used 2995
480 new 6395 used 5995
327 new 1495 used 1295
340 new 1195 used 995

difference used = 120 day guarantee, new = 2 year

seems silly - got to go new
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 11-23-2005, 04:57 PM
LongEZ-RG

Although I'm sure there are some good deals out there, I generally shy away from used avionics and instruments.

This may be over simplistic, however;

The number one killer of avionics and instruments is vibration. Used instruments and avionics have been pre killed.

Waiter
Old 11-23-2005, 05:58 PM
Nathan Gifford

120 days for $300-$500 seems way too small a pay back. However, if a service contract could be purchased for reasonable amount, that might look a lot better.

What Waiter says is true. Still another thing to consider is that if the unit was solidly engineer system in the first place, then the most likely to fail components have been replaced (hopefully). We have a number of old to elderly process systems that ran for years with nary a problem. Now that they getting to be 20 or years old, they are getting a little more cantankerous.

Our last system will be over 25 years old when it gets retired. Just goes to prove how much a really good installation and well made system can perform.
Better Still --> Chapter 9
Old 11-24-2005, 01:04 AM
Rotary Powered Velocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust
well, got to tell you - the used price is so high - got to go new

sl30 new 3100 used 2995
480 new 6395 used 5995
327 new 1495 used 1295
340 new 1195 used 995

difference used = 120 day guarantee, new = 2 year

seems silly - got to go new

Yea.. those prices are killin me..
$400 for a Narco AT50-A.. used.. from Air Salvage of Dallas
$400 approx for a KX-175B.. Used.. from Ebay
$400 approx for a KY-195B.. Used.. From Ebay (this is a com-com rather than a nav com)
$350 approx for a Do-It-Yerself Audio Panel and marker beacon kit from RST Engineering
$75 for a KN-75 Glideslope reciever..

Sounds ancient, and it is, but cosmeticly these radios are awesome, and I can deal with 720 channels for now.

I am getting airborne with Nav-Com-Marker Beacon-ILS for under $2 grand.
I still need an Indicator.. but that will come sooner or later.

Dave
Old 11-26-2005, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

Understand dave - i'm doing a pretty dam dream panel and bitchen about it - sorry. when you go down a path - started with the Blue mountain - got it at a GREAT price cause i ponied up with 3 grand day one when greg went into business - my cost with auto pilot - 13000

well that hooks into the sl30 radio for the glide slope ILS, and the VOR and back feeds the radio. i'm electric so i need a backup panel - the lite is 2700 for a six pack and another gps and it also does the autopilot - good stufffff

I also want IFR terminal and another radio - well the 430 seems to be the best value for the buck to get redundant radio and terminal gps.

it is a path that my partner and i chose and will be a luxury to fly compared to the trainers i am used to.

can't wait for greg to get real time weather integrated and for the new FAA position thingy to be on the panel.

fun stuff - but - a luxury
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 11-26-2005, 12:42 AM
Rotary Powered Velocity

Quote:
Understand dave - i'm doing a pretty dam dream panel and bitchen about it - sorry. .....

fun stuff - but - a luxury
Not a prob.. I was rubbing it in about cost

Chris and I are strong proponents of the "faster, better, cheaper" philosophy that has failed NASA so spectacularly. If he had his way we'd be flying with a handheld com and an IPAQ GPS for first flight.

Using the dinosaur radios and the homebrew audio panel gives us an IFR capable plane (VOR/LOC/GS/MB) when neither of us have our IFR tickey (even if I was THIS ---><--- clost to getting it once)

The SL30.. the GNS 430.. all CHERRY pieces of hardware and they work GREAT in the air, and the capabilities are WONDERFUL. If I had 10 grand drop in my lap Id have a hard time choosing between a NEW MT electric prop or a used GNS 530. That being said, for some reason I have simply gotten more hands practice and familiarity with the Bendix King IFR and VFR GPS models and am perfectly at home with their architecture (switchology, whatever you call it) and how its preserved across the product line. You can get a king GPS new off the line and the same stuff is in the same place on a 10 year old King Loran or GPS, under the same headings.

I went with the dinosaur radios because of the mechanical, "near bulletproof" nature out of necessity. In time they WILL be replaced. I'm hoping Chris will thank me later for being insistent on having a minimum amount of instrument capability in his plane.. who knows, maybe it will prompt him to get his instrument rating once flight test is over.

My dream panel? Grand Rapids with multi displays and SL30's and 40's driving it, with some sort of GPS or MFD.

My preferred starter panel: somewhere between a Dynon D100 and a BMA Efis Lite... the CDI/HSI functions on the BMA are real attractive, as is the integrity of the BMA attitude information without using gps(like "anywhere") or pitot/airspeed (like Dynon) for a reference benchmark.

Dave
Old 11-26-2005, 01:07 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Interesting watching this discussion. There are people with all levels of budgets building these planes. We range from people with a dream, and no budget at all, to those for whom money is no object. We can all build safe reliable planes.

Most of us are somewhere in-between where progress is often constrained by cash-flow. That's ok. Take a few extra years to finish and do what you can when you can. You'll still have a usable airplane years before the guy who insists on the "best" of everything, but can't afford it. Also, keep in mind that one way or another, life has a way of changing our financial status over the years.
Sometimes the cheap option fails (as with my turbo). Sometimes it works, as in Dave's panel and my $500 KNS80/KI203 nav system. It's not necessary to buy all brand new best possible quality stuff, but it is nice if you can afford it.

My advice for anyone who's put off by the costs of new avionics and engines is to forget them and just look at the cost of the airframe. You can build a Cozy for $20k. Spread it over 10 years and it'll cost $2k/year.

Ten years from now, when you have a finished airplane that needs avionics and an engine, you'll find a way to get them.....
Old 11-26-2005, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

well, back to the point of this thread - i wear a few hats and one of them is a machinery and equipment appraiser. i can not remember any type of equipment that has such a little difference in value between new and used.

It just does not make economic sense. if you factor in the value of the additional value of the 2 year versus 120 day guarantee - they cost the same, the new price and the used price - weird.
dust

Old 11-26-2005, 11:13 AM
w/ Spinner and Paddlefoot

Cool supply and demand..

Quote:
i can not remember any type of equipment that has such a little difference in value between new and used.

It just does not make economic sense. if you factor in the value of the additional value of the 2 year versus 120 day guarantee - they cost the same, the new price and the used price - weird.
The price differential is (to quote from Monty Python) SILLY!

Do they think all aircraft owners have deep pockets and no brains (no offense to those that fit that decription)??

I have to agree Duster, with equipment. I have seen it with Harley Davidson motorcycles, Hasselblad cameras, and some jewelry. But I would like to take the law in my own hands (the law of supply and demand) and let them sit on their used stuff until the supply outweighs the demand (of course, by then, the technology would have smacked down prices while the economy floats them up a little more and we end up paying twice as much with a dollar worth half as much! )

My dream panel will be the one that I can fly behind - soonest!
Old 11-26-2005, 01:49 PM
crx

gauges

Last edited by crx : 01-02-2006 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Removed Topic
Old 11-28-2005, 01:23 PM
G.Norman

I'm on a real budget. I'm going with a flat panel and velcro pouches. A Garmin hand-held GPS (already have it), Garmin hand-held Nav-Com (to ask the ATC how fast I'm going and where I'm at), a cup holder for coffee to see if I'm level, and a hole outside the canopy to stick my finger out to tell if I'm flying sideways.

New or used, do your homework and shop for the best deal such as Dust did. Personally, I'm waiting until I get close to needing them otherwise its like buying the cart before the horse. The more I work on the build, the more I learn and change my mind. When it gets to that time I hope I've inherited some money.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:56 PM

Has anyone looked at this? http://www.sensornetics.com/