Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Instuments / Avionics / Electrical System
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2006, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Default Electrical system

I have no fuses and no circuit breakers - just polyfuses.

Am considering a circuit to the canopy light that bypasses the main bus so that it can stay on when the masters are off and is then shut off by a canopy micro switch. So we have light during unloading at night.

we are using a combination or nichols and richter philosophy.

Funny thing though - we were going to use the essential buss and the rest of the plane buss.

Separated by a diode and the backup feed the essential and the main alternator feed the rest of the plane buss.

Have not done the total calcs yet but - don't think we are gonna need it. everything we have on the IP is electronic - very low draw.

we have a 20 amp @ 24 volt backup alternator and i doubt that the entire plane will draw that many amps, engine control unit, spark system , taxi and landing lights, strobe and position lights. 20 amp @ 24 volt is equivalent to 40 amps at 12 volts and - just doubt we will draw that much

heck, had the nose gear swapped out for 24 volt model and i think that only draws 1.5 or 2 amps and that can draw down the battery for all i care.

Same with the starter - that is just relying on battery power.
fun stuff this wiring thingy
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 01-26-2006, 11:19 PM
EVOLUTION EZE

what is the advantage to using 24 Volt system in this day and age? you don't save weight do you? you do get to buy more expensive airplane toys to put in plane. amps are low but volts are high the power used is the same. right?

Lynn Erickson A&P for lets say almost 30 years
Much better with a Dremel than a computer.
What if they gave me choice between a fast computer or a fast plane?
Old 01-26-2006, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Well, the Blue mountain requires a minimum voltage to run, i think it is 9 or so. it needs to be booted up before the engine is started. Soooo, with a twelve volt system, you can easily run into a less than 9 volt situation and the BM has to reboot.

All the radios don't care wether 12 or 24, we have a bus with a transformer built in and about 10 or so circuits for 12 volt.

one for taxi/land lights
one for ECU
one for spark
one for position
one for strobe
plenty 12 volt circuit left

nose gear, starter, radios, glass cockpits - both of em - backup oil pump - backup fuel pump -step - landing brake - all 24 volt friendly

just not a problem - plenty of circuits available, also i think because the amps are less (1/2) and the volts double - can't you use amaller wire?
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 01-27-2006, 12:04 AM
EVOLUTION EZE

I see, that makes since about the BM but don't like the transformer for the spark. the Light speed ignition is 4 to 32 volts what are you using. all the lights are avalible in 24V. Wiring can be smaller but a lot of 12 volt circuits are only 20 and 22 gauge much smaller and it's the machinical connection of that small stuff that worries me. it is so small it breaks very easy.

Lynn Erickson A&P for lets say almost 30 years
Much better with a Dremel than a computer.
What if they gave me choice between a fast computer or a fast plane?
Old 01-27-2006, 12:13 AM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust
All the radios don't care wether 12 or 24, we have a bus with a transformer built in and about 10 or so circuits for 12 volt.
Because this is a learning forum.... you don't have a DC Transformer... you have a voltage converter or regulator. You need the changing electrical potential of AC to effectively use a transformer.

What people consider to be a "DC Transformer" is actually an AC transformer with a bridge rectifier or something similar on the output to convert the AC output of the transformer to DC, example... 120VAC in, 12VDC out.

And high current voltage converters cost a good bit, can throw out a lot of heat, and add extra complexity for no reason. If you are going to run 24 volts, I'd personally install two 12 volt batteries connected in series. You can pull 12 volts and 24 volts off the same system without the failure mode of a voltage converter.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

http://www.bluemountainavionics.com/...=4&prevstart=0

this is what i gots

Quote:
Lynn Erickson I see, that makes since about the BM but don't like the transformer for the spark. the Light speed ignition is 4 to 32 volts what are you using. all the lights are available in 24V. Wiring can be smaller but a lot of 12 volt circuits are only 20 and 22 gauge much smaller and it's the mechanical connection of that small stuff that worries me. it is so small it breaks very easy.
I'm using a haltech ECU with 12 coils and dual cam pickups, fuel injection (trimmed for each cylinder)

the mechanical connections - each one will be stress relieved.

on power to the units, thinking of two wire to each unit, as if one wire fails, another one is ready. I'm not talkin 2 to each coil, but two to the ecu and a few other key items
dust