Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Landing Gear, Wheels, Tires, and Brakes
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2007, 08:17 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

1/2 - an almost during building.
Quote:
place weights in the plane when you are done and leave the nose gear extended
Yep. I have ballast weights for that. All of the testing and much of the flying has been done solo, so Kitty almost always has lead weights on board. I usually lower the nose a tad (thats about 9 inchs) and leave her pretty much upright.

If I'm taking a passenger (as on new years eve) I remove the weights, then push from the front and stay glued to the canard or longeron until the passenger is on board. With the nose still down a 'tad' theres a few pounds on the nose and no tendancy to tip so long as the nose isn't lifted up. Once the engine's running I bring the nose all the way up. After the dual flight I lower the nose one tad before getting out.

'Tis really not a problem.

But, as an aside - I did scare myself a bit once - I was doing an engine test runup on a slightly inclined surface. When done with the checks I stupidly just released the brakes without reducing throttle. Woa Neddy! The nose came up like a motorcycle wheely. I cut the throttle and tapped the brakes to put all three back on the ground smartly. Lesson learned there. Don't do that.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:50 PM
ChasingMars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
Or - change the geometry during the build to stop it from occurring in the first place
If you're going to change the gear to prevent it, I'd suggest you're looking at the wrong wheels... rather than changing the mains, any reason you couldn't change the nose gear to allow ground handling and taxi with it in the grazing or near-grazing position? Better forward visibility to boot. Granted, it's a complete redesign of the nose gear, but at least you don't change the moment the canard needs to produce about the mains for rotation.

Think of it sort of as the little dolly idea, built into the nose strut - either using the nosewheel with a different strut geometry to allow it to remain useful when part retracted, or with a secondary "taxi wheel".
Cozy IV Plans #1457 - Building Chapter Six!
http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/chasingmars/index.html
Old 01-09-2007, 11:36 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

The plane is EZ (in fact EZer) to move about with the gear half down, so long as you're not in it. (and it only needs to be half way down to be completely stable). Taxiing with the gear part way down is a different story - the wheel doesn't castor very well so turning is quite difficult. Its a good reminder to put the gear all the way down if you forget (or miss the check). Leave it part way down on take off and you'll make a lot of Dust at the end of the runway.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:46 PM
ChasingMars

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade View Post
The plane is EZ (in fact EZer) to move about with the gear half down, so long as you're not in it. (and it only needs to be half way down to be completely stable). Taxiing with the gear part way down is a different story - the wheel doesn't castor very well so turning is quite difficult. Its a good reminder to put the gear all the way down if you forget (or miss the check). Leave it part way down on take off and you'll make a lot of Dust at the end of the runway.
Wouldn't it be pretty obvious you've got the gear down??! besides, easy enough to put a limit switch in on the throttle, warn if (advanced past X%) and (gear in kneel)... you even get to check the warning function every runup!

I've heard of gear up landings, but gear up takeoffs?!
Cozy IV Plans #1457 - Building Chapter Six!
http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/chasingmars/index.html
Old 01-10-2007, 02:54 AM

I have had this idea for quite some time - I know that in current construction this might not be easy to make strong because basically the nose is weak.
But that is an another issue, lets assume that the nose is strong enough.
- longer nose & different nose structure -> nose gear attachment further forward - could then house a longer strut.
- taxiing & parking position is not full up but a bit down and on only takeoff it is fully extended maybe with a bit higher angle (how much is the question) of attact than ordinary Cozy nose gear
- at the same redesign you could replace the nose wheel with a more reasonable sized one that would cause less friction which would be beneficial on takeoff and cause more drag on landing deepening the approach angle which allegedly could be pretty beneficial too.
--- Plans #000 at concepting stage ---
JAA-PPL(A) with NF & RT/E, UPL. WT9-Dynamic, TL-96 Star, Zephyr 2000, C152, C172 (& waiting the crashed diesel planes to get fixed )
Old 01-10-2007, 07:22 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Quote:
Wouldn't it be pretty obvious you've got the gear down??!
I once didn't notice it was down a few inches and managed to ignore the voice wanring and LED. I got a few feet before realizing I couldnt steer.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Gettin Tipsy, fell over backwards.

I hear this subject has recently ben covered on other internet talk groups.

From what i hear, most have had their planes tip backward on them
prop damage is not common
wheel pants are trashed.

Best solution i was informed of was a bracket attached to main gear that stops the tipping and protects the wheel pants

Any other info gleaned?
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 07-31-2007, 11:34 AM
Got Foam?

Quote:
Best solution i was informed of was a bracket attached to main gear that stops the tipping and protects the wheel pants
Go with retracts!
Look Ma ........ no pants!
We add rocket's to everything!
Old 07-31-2007, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMann View Post
Go with retracts!
Look Ma ........ no pants!

yeah - no pants, but if you use the same placement geometry - same tipsy and same prop strike possibility
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 07-31-2007, 12:05 PM
Finally at Chapter 4!

Quote:

Any other info gleaned?
You mean like wheelie bars? I think that anything attached at the main gear that is going to hold up the plane from tipping the rest of the way is also going to be pretty beefy. That's a lot of force.
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
Old 07-31-2007, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplafleur View Post
You mean like wheelie bars? I think that anything attached at the main gear that is going to hold up the plane from tipping the rest of the way is also going to be pretty beefy. That's a lot of force.
mmmm - that is the balance point, I believe this idea was suggested by Whilhelmson cause of the lack of actual force needed at that point.
dust