Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Talk All About Canard Aviation > PreBuild Planning and ACTIONS > Plane Day
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2006, 05:14 PM

Way Kewl Dave -

as my sons said when they were small and kute [they've since 'turned on me']

Power On [then later Party on Garth.. they later still... nuth'n as they were out being teens... ]

Happy Tday and Merry Christmas

John
Old 11-24-2006, 05:55 PM

Default THANK YOU DAVID

For posting something which is entirely relevant to the purpose of this forum. Yeah, hidden message in this one which has nothing to do with you.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:26 PM

Wow! All kind of tounge-in-cheek messages. Still cool though!
Old 11-25-2006, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Lookin good - had to enjoy that! lots of people like their birds upside down on thanks giving day
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 11-27-2006, 06:58 PM

Thane and I spent almost 4 hours putting down the first coat of fill last Sunday,,,,,no doubt MOST will be sanded off next week! The last photo shows the .033 aluminum wing bolt access covers two way taped down for the fill. Slowly but surely we make a little headway everyweek.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00081.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	559.5 KB
ID:	3104  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00082.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	577.3 KB
ID:	3105  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00083.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	487.7 KB
ID:	3106  
Old 11-27-2006, 11:22 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Quote:
Thane and I spent almost 4 hours putting down the first coat of fill last Sunday
Looks good, Dave, but get that sanding done soon. If you sand it right after cure it's EZ. Leave it to cure for a week and the work is MUCH harder. If you have week long gaps between sessions I'd advise putting the micro down in a smaller area in the morning, take a lunch, then sand it smooth in the afternoon.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:52 PM

Plane day was Staurday,,,Tom was in town and was also present. I spent the morning carving the foam for the gear leg fairings and laying them up. The rest of the day all three of us sanded and sanded and sanded some more, taking most of what was put on last week off! Afterwards, I went around the plane marking all the low spots and we filled them in to sand off next plane day. We will probably do this three or so times and call it "Good enough"! We ain't building a show plane here! We filled the epoxy pump with the last of the MGS resin and hardner. We were worried about getting more, which is WAY on back order, but then spotted a 5 gallon container of it under a bench!! I just can't remember who it originally belonged to. Oh well,,,,my motto is possession is 9/10's of the law!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00084.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	562.8 KB
ID:	3132  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00085.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	584.8 KB
ID:	3133  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00086.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	563.8 KB
ID:	3134  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00087.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	526.8 KB
ID:	3135  
Old 12-04-2006, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David lifford View Post
but then spotted a 5 gallon container of it under a bench!! I just can't remember who it originally belonged to. Oh well,,,,my motto is possession is 9/10's of the law!!
I believe adverse possession comes into play here... open, notorious, conspicious, obnoxious, continueous possession....

I believe posting here [as you have done] and using it qualifies you to be owner...

John
Old 12-04-2006, 06:58 PM
Chapter 19 and 23

Default 5 gallons

Dave

That was mine!!!!!!

Bob
Old 12-04-2006, 10:53 PM
Finally at Chapter 4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clifford View Post
but then spotted a 5 gallon container of it under a bench!! I just can't remember who it originally belonged to. Oh well,,,,my motto is possession is 9/10's of the law!!
That's right. 9/10's of the law is written to protect my property.
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
Old 12-24-2006, 03:38 PM

Default Santa's Early Delivery

Santa started his deliveries early this week here at the factory! He dropped off a bunch of paint and primer, a three blade C/S MT prop and spinner, and a pair of Gary Hunter's Cozy MKIV Baggage pods!! For those of you wanting an MT prop,,,,tell Santa at least 6 months in advance,,,,They are in high demand and the Elv's are having a hard time keeping up!. Here's a pic of the fuselodge with its final skim coat. It should be ready for primer after the next sanding(Tuesday). We decided that it will look just as good as any Oshkosh Grand Champion airplane at 220 mph!! I started fabricating a paint booth. You can see the 2X2's screwed to the ceiling of the shop that I will hang clear plastic from with 1X2 cleats. I will fan vent out through the window with filtered intake air from the shop. I will also vent with the JET shop ceiling air filter. We have a fresh closed air supply for breathing air.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00090.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	3178  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00091.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	3179  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00092.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	3180  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00094.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	3181  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00095.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	3182  

Name:	DSC00097.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	3183  
Old 12-24-2006, 06:25 PM
MarkIV N513DP Cozy540Xtra

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clifford View Post
Santa started his deliveries early this week here at the factory! He dropped off a bunch of paint and primer, a three blade C/S MT prop and spinner, and a pair of Gary Hunter's Cozy MKIV Baggage pods!! For those of you wanting an MT prop,,,,tell Santa at least 6 months in advance,,,,They are in high demand and the Elv's are having a hard time keeping up!. Here's a pic of the fuselodge with its final skim coat. It should be ready for primer after the next sanding(Tuesday). We decided that it will look just as good as any Oshkosh Grand Champion airplane at 220 mph!! I started fabricating a paint booth. You can see the 2X2's screwed to the ceiling of the shop that I will hang clear plastic from with 1X2 cleats. I will fan vent out through the window with filtered intake air from the shop. I will also vent with the JET shop ceiling air filter. We have a fresh closed air supply for breathing air.
You guys have got your game on!!! Love it!!!
Old 01-07-2007, 06:18 PM

Default Finally,,,We Are Priming!!!

Here's some pics of what we consider to be a milestone in the building of the Cozy,,,,,,We primed the bottom today!! You can see the tempory reusable paint booth I built by hanging 2x2 from the ceiling and 2x2 on the floor with corner posts. I framed the door around three pleated furnace filters for clean fresh air intake,,and used a regular window fan we framed in around the window for an air tight seal to suck the bad air out and good air in. This set up worked GREAT. For breathing air, I used the masks I got off ebay and built a fresh air supply box using scrap plywood and a really small squirrel fan I had laying around. I used an automobile air filter to filter the intake air and 30' of 1-1/8" light weight sump drain hose from Lowes for the box to the mask air supply. The box was outside the paint booth and it worked GREAT also and cost less than $30 to build. No way do you NOT want to have a fresh air breathing apparatus using the PPG PrimerPaint system! While Thane mixed the primer with the catalyst, I sprayed with the gravity feed gun I got on sale from Harbor Freight for $19.99!! I have no complaints about the gun and no drips! I was able to put down three coats in about an hour. You need to keep moving with the PPG cause it will kick in the gun if you don't get it out intime.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00098.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	3214  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00099.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	3215  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00100.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	3216  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00101.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	3217  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00102.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	3218  

Old 01-07-2007, 06:33 PM

Default More Pics

Here is a few more pics. The PPG was dry to the touch within 15 minutes of the final coat. We only had a couple areas that had pin holes show up,,,about 4 square inches on one siide of the strut and about the same in the naca scoop. Thane says that the paint supplier he used recommends a product they stock for this that will not require re-priming. Per the paint suppliers recommendations, we did not invest in one of those expensive air dryers and did as he suggested, which he uses when he paints: Water trap at the compressor, run 100' of hose outside if its cold enough out, otherwise, coil 100" of hose on a large drum filled with ice and water,,,this condences the moisture in the compressor air so the second water trap can catch it, then back in to the shop, into the paint booth and into the second water trap and air pressure regulato, then to the gun. I also had a desacant? in-line moisture filter at the gun I also got at Harbor Freight @ $8.99 just for good measure. At clean up, I checked the second water trap at the regulator and it was bone dry! I did drain the first trap and tank of water before starting.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00103.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	3220  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00105.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	3221  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00106.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	3222  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00107.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	3223  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00110.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	3224  

Old 01-07-2007, 09:52 PM
Finally at Chapter 4!

That is totally awsome! I am soooo happy you guys are priming now. It's the home stretch!