Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Talk All About Canard Aviation > Great Threads that can plane help builders, lurkers and fliers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2005, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Default Control springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Schubert
Go look at the pitch trim spring and note how the ends are formed. When spring wire is cold bent sharply, as called for in the plans, the chances of failure go way up depending on the bend radius.
well - whats the solution. obviously the plans method leaves plenty of room for improvement

can i stress relieve in my oven at 500 degrees for a few hours?
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 10-12-2005, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

cmon metal men/women of the forum - no takers on this subject?
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 10-12-2005, 02:06 PM

What about replacing the plans trim with the setup that uses the electric trim adjustment motor and the horseshoe shaped composite spring?

Was that on Wayne Hick's site?
Old 10-12-2005, 02:16 PM

To stress relieve you got to get it close to but do not exceed 1350 degrees F. How close and how long for spring steel, I'm really not sure, textbook I checked last night suggested within 150 degrees, 15-120 minutes (those tiny tables in textbooks are real specific-not), nitrogen atmosphere or vacuum furnace. Go over 1350 and it transforms into an annealed noodle unless properly quenched.
Stupid question time-while making a high speed low pass doesn't a canard have a lot of nose down trim dialed in? So if the the trim spring that's under load breaks, the worst that happens (assuming you're mixing margaritas and waving to the crowd instead of flying the airplane while making a low pass) is that the plane goes shooting skyward in a 6 to 9 G pull up?
Old 10-25-2005, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

mmmmm 1350 max for 15 to 120 mins - i think that is doable either in a kiln or with a temp crayon and a torch.

I don't like being notified with a problem and then ignoring it
dust

Old 10-25-2005, 11:46 AM

DON'T (unless you have additional info) stress relieve a cold bent spring!

You'll soften the metal which allow the spring to yield at a lower displacement. It won't return to original shape.

Most cold bend springs are made from pre-heat treated steel. The temper is low to provide a high yield strength. Additional tempering will destroy the spring. Of course this is MOST. I have no ideas what this particular spring is made from.

I don't know what the trim spring looks like so I can't comment on it being a bad design or not. Pigtails, swages, flat ends are common designs though.

Mike
Auto engineer in suspensions including coil springs and stabilizer bars.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

When the CP publisher talks - i listen

if i get you a sample - can you figure it out
dust