Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Landing Gear, Wheels, Tires, and Brakes
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2005, 11:18 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Speaking of brakes, I don't know if I could have stopped the way Paul Conner did in 600ft even with the most violent braking. That's assuming, of course, that I could even have gotten myself in position to even make the attempt, which I doubt. (I need more practice forced landings)

Nat always answers the "challenge" of Matco brakes having almost twice the stopping power of Clevelands by saying you don't need them. In normal operations, that's true. Paul's experience sure makes a strong case for having the most powerful brakes money can buy, then being extra careful to set them up as close to perfectly as possible. Of course Cozy drivers have the option of using the bottom of the nose as a brake if they can get the gear up fast enough. I believe Nat tested that function once in front of the crowds at Sun & Fun

Then there was the guy who deadsticked his LongEz into a 300 foot California parking lot, and stopped 3 feet short of a line of brand new cars.....
Old 02-11-2005, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade
Speaking of brakes, I don't know if I could have stopped the way Paul Conner did in 600ft even with the most violent braking......
You've got the same setup I do, John, and I can NOW say that once the wheels (all three of them) touch the ground, I can stand on the brakes and be stopped in somewhere around that 500-800 ft range. So, assuming you've massaged your leverage ratio the way I have to get it to what MATCO recommends, I think you could do it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade
Nat always answers the "challenge" of Matco brakes having almost twice the stopping power of Clevelands by saying you don't need them......
Just as a point of fact, MATCO's do not have twice the stopping "power", or torque, of the Clevelands - in fact, we have no idea what the different torque values that either of those brakes (or the Groves, for that matter) can apply, because none of the brake MFG's quote those #'s.

What we CAN compare is the energy absorption capacity, and there, the MATCO's are far superior to both the Groves and the heaviest duty Clevelands, by a substantial margin. This, however, is meaningless for determining stopping DISTANCE, as long as there is less energy to be absorbed than the brakes have the capacity for. However, once that capacity is exceeded, the lower capacity brakes will fade and/or boil, while the higher capacity ones will continue applying stopping torque.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:16 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

OK, energy absorbsion. Right.

Yes. I've adjusted the advantage. I'll have to try a full emergency stop and see how well it does.

By the way, Paul just measured his estimated 600' landing area. It came out at 472'. With enough take-off power he could almost operate off my driveway.