Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Landing Gear, Wheels, Tires, and Brakes
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2006, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

It is not for lack of horns and buzzers that gear ups occur - it is a lack of paying attention to them when you are busy, at a new airport, doing touch and goes for the 13th time that day, it's raining and late, you are busy slowing up for that bonanza in front of you, etc. etc. etc.

thats why i opted for a black box that puts gear down at 90 knots, ifin i forget
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 06-29-2006, 02:21 PM
slightly crazy

that's why I went for audible voice alert, that's somethin you won't overhear.

Quote:
*KLAXON*KLAXON* "GEAR, GEAR" *KLAXON*KLAXON*
I'm not convinced I want a automatic gear down system. I'm talking about a full retract system now, not to be mistaken ok? If you NEED to do a gear up landing for whatever reason (single gear failure for example) and you can't because your smart box puts them out anyhow ... I dunno ...
Old 06-29-2006, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

my black box has a defeat button - think you have to press it every 15 or 30 seconds, forget how many.

full retract - even more important as with a nose gear up - simple fix, with full retract - prop strike, belly wing bottoms, the list goes on and on and on and the dollars go up and up and up

Ask any that have done gear up and they will tell you, from voice in headphones to blazing horns - all are possible to somehow ignore.
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 06-29-2006, 03:53 PM
slightly crazy

im not talking about a choice of RG. the Velo only comes full retract or full fixed. but I guess this is just like Windows or Mac ?

yes I'm all for automation if possible. just somehow dont like the auto gear idea ...
Old 06-29-2006, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

well, can you put your "somehow" into words.

I completely understand your feelings. The basic problem is how darn easy it is to forget the gear. I know it does not seem it, but that is just the way that it is.

In a cozy, 90 knots is Slooooooooooooow, so gear down is not a bad thing under that speed
dust

Old 06-29-2006, 05:04 PM

Does it do auto gear up above 90? Does it cycle up and down if your just below... then just above... then just below 90 again? Must have a higher gear up threshold, or no auto gear up at all. Just curious.

It's kinda like automatic head lights on the car... I don't care for those either, but I don't know why.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:46 PM
builder wannabe

Talking

ooh, radio waves and propagation ;

(quoting a bunch of people - credit where credit due etc..)

Ultrasonic and doppler - Yes, the problem will be seperating the reflected signal from the transmitted signal if you use the analog method, or using LOTS of computer-DSP if you use the digital method. More thought on this needed.

Laser range-finders will need a digital method - transmit an encoded square-wave with a bit missing and try to reconcile a reflection with a sensitive reciever and some DSP. <wince>

Viz, "timing" and DSP is the hard way.

10GHz door-shop-minders - oh yes these are great fun. The units output a signal in the audio-to-ultrasonic range which varies in frequency due to doppler, and thus velocity. This signal also independantly varies in amplitude, linearly indicating the distance of the object in the beam focus - this is the useful part. This will be dead easy to test, as these units will talk through epoxy, so attach an earphone/amplifier, sit it on the cockpit floor pointing down, and go fly and see what it 'hears'. With any luck, the output can be fed to a simple linear panel meter indicating terrain clearance. Although, this may depend on the coarsness of the ground features. Who will test this ?

With more luck, after some observation of this recieved signals some further deduction could be made, revealing some other new aspect

JCP - Possibly we do not need a large antenna, as it can be compensated for with a low-noise sensitive audio stage after the detector.

good fun
S
Old 06-30-2006, 02:09 AM
slightly crazy

ok so what are these door shop minders ?
Old 06-30-2006, 05:05 AM
builder wannabe

ah yeah, its called a Gunnplexer. Named after the Gunn Diode in it.

http://www.google.com/search?q=gunnplexer
Old 06-30-2006, 06:09 AM
slightly crazy

all the gunnplexers i found are used for communication. im too stupid to figure out how to go into measuring distance "easily" with this. It might be dead simple, just havent figured it out yet
Old 06-30-2006, 07:31 AM
builder wannabe

nah, you're not stupid, you just need to read and think about it for a month, and learn to google.

Yes, they are communications devices, but can be made into anything.

Anyone want to make a gunnplexer weather radar ?
http://home.comcast.net/~prutchi/pdf_files/radar_1.png
http://home.comcast.net/~prutchi/pdf_files/radar_2.png
http://home.comcast.net/~prutchi/pdf_files/radar_3.png
Old 06-30-2006, 09:22 AM
slightly crazy

so this gunnplexer thingy actually is nothing more (or less) than a microwave transceiver, emitting microwaves and receiving the reflections. more or less like radar or any other sort of wave emitting/receiving device.

cant say i understood the majority of the article, mainly I hope because its in english and im having a hard time with scientific english. but sounds interesting. but i just realized, all this stuff might not be too good for ground proximity warning, simply because itll reflect off clouds just as well (light as well as the gunnplexer, right?)
Old 06-30-2006, 02:42 PM
builder wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon
so this gunnplexer thingy actually is nothing more (or less) than a microwave transceiver, emitting microwaves and receiving the reflections. more or less like radar or any other sort of wave emitting/receiving device.
Yes this is correct. It is a complete full-duplex microwave transmitter/receiver, about the size of a box of matches. (disclaimer: your matchbox size may vary) lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon
[...]having a hard time with scientific english. but sounds interesting. but i just realized, all this stuff might not be too good for ground proximity warning, simply because itll reflect off clouds just as well (light as well as the gunnplexer, right?)
scientific english is the nature of the technical internet, so you have some learning to then.

Clouds, yes, perhaps this is true. It will be fun experimenting with it.

Anyway, this was someone elses thread. /me quits hijacking it.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:39 PM
slightly crazy

i dont think were hijacking here, its still about gear warning, just wired with ground proximity warning
Old 07-01-2006, 10:39 AM

I was at an AIAA conference last December where a guy who had just graduated from BYU presented a paper on an autonomous UAV. It used laser range finders to keep distance between the UAV and obstacles off the wings. He had video of the UAV actually flying through a canyon. When the plane got within the specified distance to the wall it would turn away then resume course to the destination. I don't know what the effective range on the lasers was though.

He used a different sensor to "see" objects in front of the UAV. If memory serves it was an optical or IR system. He had video of flying it around campus. It would fly around buildings then get back on course.

If anyone would like it I can get the name of the student's professor, and the paper is probably still up on the AIAA website.

Ryan