Originally Posted by Steve parkins
was wondering if there is a link to matco brakes or a phone # to call them
Try:

http://www.matcomfg.com/

Kumaros
It's all Greek to me
Old 01-27-2005, 09:13 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

I don't think Matco supply direct. Most builders get them from JD Newman at http://infinityaerospace.com I got his complete kit with wheels, tires and a parking brake. Excellent support. I lost a small part - JD got them to send a replacement at no charge.

My advice (which Marc disagrees with) is to forget the parking brake. If you want one I can let you have mine real cheap.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:20 PM

ok ty john, all i wanted was the masters so i can build the holder and fit the rudder tabs befor welding
Old 01-28-2005, 12:58 AM
It's all Greek to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade
I don't think Matco supply direct. ...(snipped)
At Matco's site, I had to input my country and then product selection was wide open with prices about 50% down from Aircraft Spruce. What I find strange is that at Aircraft Spruce's site, if you search for brakes, you only get Cleveland, Goodyear, Azusa and Hegar units, no Matco's. If you search for Matco then you get the list of avialable products, but, as aforementioned, at prices double those of Matco.
Kumaros
It's all Greek to me
Old 01-28-2005, 02:35 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

This is weird. I think Spruce still read this forum. Maybe they'd like to comment.

Just out of interst, how do the prices compare with JD's?
Old 01-28-2005, 04:49 AM
It's all Greek to me

Quote:
This is weird. I think Spruce still read this forum. Maybe they'd like to comment.

Just out of interst, how do the prices compare with JD's?
I checked again and Aircraft Spruce prices are for a kit of TWO wheels and brakes, that's why their prices are double. I cross-checked with Infinity and as far as I can tell, because they confuse the issue by selling complete kits, they quote prices 20-30% higher than Matco's and Aircraft Spruce's and then give a "discount" and quote your savings. Go figure.
Anyway, I would never order anything from Aircraft Spruce; some years ago they managed to bungle even the delivery of their catalog, should I trust them with delivering a plane part by part?
Kumaros
It's all Greek to me
Old 01-28-2005, 11:00 AM

Be careful with the Matco brakes that Spruce has on their site. They are the W51L model and do not have the braking power of the W51LT model that is recommemended for the Cozy (and which Infinity sells). I *think* Spruce sells W51LT but they aren't on their web site and calling them is an exercise in futility (the phone people have very little knowledge). Also the axel is not included in the price of the wheel/brake kit and the one that they recommend is not from Matco, its their "homebuilder's special".

After doing a bunch of investigation I ended up going with Wicks. Their prices are better than Infinity (by about $150-200) and they have the right stuff (W51LTK's (which include the Matco axel) and associated master cylinders and reservoirs). In the end I wasted 3-4 hours researching and did what I knew from the start was the right thing, order from Wicks....
Old 01-28-2005, 11:56 AM

Quote:
My advice (which Marc disagrees with) is to forget the parking brake. If you want one I can let you have mine real cheap.
Take it. Here's what I use the Parking Brake for:

1) stopping and getting out of the plane on a sloped area without having to lower the nose to the ground (remember, not everyplace is as flat as Florida, thank god)

2) stopping with the engine running to allow people to get in and out, or to open the hangar door, without having to lower the nose to the ground

3) parking for a few minutes to do engine runups or testing, without having to continually push on the brakes

4) etc.

Since it doesn't interfere with the operation of the brakes if installed correctly, adds a great deal of functionality, and costs very little, I am baffled by your dogmatic objection to the thing :-).
Old 01-28-2005, 12:54 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Quote:
I am baffled by your dogmatic objection to the thing :-).
Maybe it's my experience of doing continuous high speed circles on the runway with the right wheel locked up solid.

Fiddling with the parking brake lever finally released the brake, but any use of the main brakes locked it again. I dissassembled it and talked to JD about the installation. This was the second time I'd had problems with the parking brake binding one brake. Couldnt find anything wrong with either the unit or the installation, so now it sits in shame on the bench. Once the PB was removed the problem went away and has never reoccured. Locking both wheels could be bad installation or incorrect operation of the lever. Locking one wheel at a time just aint funny.

ANY chance of a locked wheel on landing (similar to your experience ) is something I can do without.

I still wonder if that locked wheel accident you had was something to do with the parking brake....
Old 01-28-2005, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Maybe it's my experience of doing continuous high speed circles on the runway with the right wheel locked up solid.
My understanding was that you didn't have the PB installed with the full throw of the lever, so the PB wasn't fully disengaging. It needs to be able to rotate a full 90 degrees. I guarantee you that if it doesn't, you'll have a brake stay on, as you describe, and that's what I was told by folks that had seen your installation, IIRC - you didn't have the full 90 degree throw.

Quote:
I still wonder if that locked wheel accident you had was something to do with the parking brake....
Nope. Totally due to disengagement of the brake system due to the shoelace catching. No question.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:10 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Quote:
My understanding was that you didn't have the PB installed with the full throw of the lever
Nope. I had more than 90 degrees of movement.

Quote:
I guarantee you that if it doesn't, you'll have a brake stay on, as you describe
This doesnt make any sense to me. If you look at the internals you'll see that the same lever moves two identical pistons. Why would one lock and not the other?

Quote:
that's what I was told by folks that had seen your installation
Never trust third hand input. I dont know who those "folks" are, but they read it wrong. There (was) a ratio between the actuation lever and the parking brake lever. When the actuation lever moved 45 degrees the parking brake lever move 90. Second time the wheel became locked I reached down, removed the actuator and used the short parking brake lever directly. Same problem.

Anyway - bottom line is that, for whatever reason, it nearly bit me twice and I dont trust the $#@%ing thing. Others mileage may vary.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:36 PM
Aircraft Spruce Cozy Rep.

We reviewed the postings regarding Matco Wheels and Brakes for the Cozy Mark IV, and I want to point out that Aircraft Spruce packages all Matco wheels and brakes as two wheels and two brakes (a set), whereas most others offer them as "each". We do carry the W51LT wheels and brakes for the Cozy Mark IV under our part number 06-00079 and have a kit available which will include the axles. These wheels and brakes are in our current catalog, but had not been added to the website, which is being done now. Thanks to the builders who brought this oversight to our attention with your postings to the group.

Jim Irwin
Aircraft Spruce

[quote=rui] I *think* Spruce sells W51LT [quote]
Old 09-09-2005, 10:53 AM
G.Norman

Bottom line:

We need 2 wheels, 2 axles, 2 brake caliper assemblies, master cylinders. Who will give us the best price for the W51LT Matcos for the Cozy MKIV ? Tell me and I'll buy it today.

Mark had mentioned a 3 pad brake. Is this one of the same?
Old 09-09-2005, 01:49 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

I got mine from JD at Infinity. Brakes, wheels tires, tubes, calipers, master cylinders all in one kit (or seperately). You can't beat the service, and the price is good, or at least compatible.

Get the new tubes that don't leak.

Yes, these are the triple puck Matco's that Marc and I have.