Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Talk All About Canard Aviation > Great Threads that can plane help builders, lurkers and fliers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2005, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Default How to land a canard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glos
Although I'm new to this forum I might be too ancient on canards. We have our share of screw ups too. So that being said, and to get on a better foot why, don't I give you something useful and perhaps fun.
This applies to my plane but maybe general to most

1) Wheel pants on or off, slight trim change. More at higher speeds. I don't need as much down trim with the pants off. Easy to understand.

2) Prop is 62x62

Downwind 100 kts
Approach to down wind 120+ kts
Final at 80 and touchdown at 60 kts

This is the visual. Your in my plane and in control.
You have dropped your airspeed and gear down long before entering downwind just to slow these slippery suckers down.
At the key, throttle back to 1500, full up trim.
This holds the nose level as the airspeed bleeds off.
At 45 Degrees turn base. Here the altitude does not change much as the speed is bleeding down.
Hold 80 kts into the final turn and prepare to play with the throttle. Very little interaction with the elevators. The decent will be relatively shallow without the board down.
The board comes down about 1/4 to 1/2 mile out on final.
Adjust throttle to make sure the runway is made.

At this point and speed (70 kts) the nose is ever so slightly high. Pull up a touch on the elevator if the speed is higher. At 1/4 out I can usually chop the throttle and make the field, it depends on the head wind.

At about about five to ten feet, pull back a little harder in tiny bits. Just enough to arrest the decent. The plane will settle onto the runway by itself. No attempt to yank on it for a stall landing.

If you are easy with the stick, the nose will be slightly high and the touchdown will be planted, no bouncing back up again. In this attitude you can roll out the landing with the nose wheel off for 200 ft or more.
As you slow down you will need increased pressure to keep the nose wheel off and the rest of the plane will do the braking down to about 40 Kts.

At this speed no matter how far back you pull, the canard losses lift and the front gently settles down. Everybody sees how far you can hold that two point touchdown and it is a beautiful thing. Over and over you do this trying to touch down so softly you can't tell you are actually down.

Never even gave a thought to the prop hitting.

On one occasion I was experiencing that same visual, and as the canard lost lift and was coming down to touch the nosewheel , it went past level and continued down until a quick bang. Oops, forgot to lower the nosewheel.
That was in my third year. Talk about a ten second pucker factor.
It is surprising how fast you come to a stop. Got out looked ,around to see if anyone saw this, lowered the nose wheel and taxied back

Damage- a little skin off the underside of the nose. Maybe 2"x4"

In any case this is something that you will experience for yourself no-doubt and your going to love it.
Great report - for all those new to flying canards. Just another add, the reports i have read say that canards handle gusts a little better than conventional aircraft as both wings are flying and carrying loads and are both effected rather equally One canard in particular was following a gulfstream 4 or 5 that was all over the final, when he followed - it was as though he was on rails.
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world