Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Forum Area Info and Rules > Forum Improvement Ideas
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2006, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

Default Tips on using the forum

OK, talked to a member the other day and he complained that posts leave after a day, as he comes to the forum and presses the "new today" option under quick links.

mmmm - he did not realize that the "new posts" button, center, near top of screen will show all threads with an update since your last visit. the system keeps track of it, it know what you have seen and what you ain't.

I'm on a mac and have tabbed browsing so i come to the forum, press "new posts", when they appear i then hold the command key down and press each link and a new tab opens for each thread, fast and easy to navigate for me. when done with that thread, command "w" closes that tab

I'm gonna try something different with this thread - moderate it

if you do not post a tip on using the forum - i'll delete the post - it would be nice for a newbie and an oldie to be able to make use of this thread and not have it cluttered up with dribble from people like - who is that big mouth - of yeah - Dust.
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 05-09-2006, 11:51 PM
Wannabe - with plans

Quote:
I'm on a mac and have tabbed browsing so i come to the forum, press "new posts", when they appear i then hold the command key down and press each link and a new tab opens for each thread, fast and easy to navigate for me.
For those like me who think a 'mac' is a form of repulsive, mass-produced invalid food a similar functionality is available. Right click each item that interests and select 'open in new window'. Click the 'X' in the top right of the window to close it.

Another hint is the 'Search' button above. It is crap. If I search on my own name I return about a third of my recent posts. If you go to 'Advanced Search' from the same button the results are much more reliable. Dont blame Mike or John, it is the same on other vb forums.

Nothing makes my teeth grind more than esteemed colleagues on this forum quoting the entire previous post when they want to reply. I know some consider it nettiquete on e-mail forums to do so, but I don't need it here. I can see the post above (below). If you are responding to particular bit (like I did above) just put in that bit.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:57 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

I added a button to Internet Explorer that goes stright to "new posts". I have another one for Google. Just click the button from whatever I'm doing and the new posts are displayed.

Go ahead, Dust. Delete that. Make my day.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Default Communicating with members

Email and PM system

No need to put an email in a post - just let members do it through the forum. If you are just looking for a text message PM's are great.

If you want email - just say you want email and the person sending it can simply click on your name and a box shows up and an email can be sent directly through the forum to you.

if you want to send someone a file, click on their name and choose "view public profile". on the public profile the bar under the name is an option "Download vCard" that will download a vcard to your computer with the email address and then you can email like normal, attach files, etc. etc.
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 05-11-2006, 04:08 PM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

Like Dust's tip...

In Firefox, ctrl+click opens in a new tab, shift+click opens in a new window. Ctrl+W closes the tab or window.

In Internet Explorer, shift+click opens a new window, ctrl+w closes the window. I don't know if ctrl+click will do tabbed in the new version of it or not, as I don't have it installed.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

Default Quoting from one thread to another

OK, so someone says something and it sparks an off topic thought - no problem,

hit the quote button,
when the reply box comes up with the text quoted, edit out the part of the post you do not want to quote,
select the remaining text (having left in the quoting syntax surrounding the quote)
copy it,
go to an area in the forum where the type of thread you wish to start belongs
start a new thread and paste in the text and write up your thoughts

Oh yeah - do i have to tell you how to start a new thread?????

ifin you do this you won't need

Hows that spodman
dust

Old 05-11-2006, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

Default How to search the forum

It is really hard to search the forum and get meaningful info. At this time we have 31,407 posts.

Just go ahead and ask the question, it has been answered already, but so what. If something great was said in the past, one of the members that was here and remembers it will dig it up, it is easier to search when you been dere and done that, or someone will just answer the question.

When the topics are brought up again, I learn, you learn, we all learn.

Search if you feel like it, but, do not hesitate to ask first and not search.
dust

Old 05-13-2006, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator

For those of you operating a business here and dunt like to erase pm's - you can download them to your computer at the bottom of the message page.

i also increased the number you are allowed to store to 130, mmm or was it 120? no 150 i just checked
dust