Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Safety > Accident Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2006, 03:13 PM

My deepest sympathies ... she looks kind of sad and forlorn sitting there on the ramp like that. Better to remember her former splendor!
Old 08-23-2006, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting them, but I for one, cannot bear to look

MMMM, may be able to test it to see ifin it failed
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 08-23-2006, 09:47 PM
It's all Greek to me

Lepa sela lepo gore
Sad end of a beautiful plane.
Kumaros
It's all Greek to me
Old 08-24-2006, 12:10 AM
Nathan Gifford

I can say that mostof us builders are indeed thankful that you postred these pictures. I hope they will reveal what was the initial failure.

Still it is very difficult to look at these photos. It was such a gorgeous airplane, it is still difficult to believe it is gone.
Better Still --> Chapter 9
Old 08-24-2006, 04:19 AM

Chris
Old 08-25-2006, 08:52 PM

What a great shame. And probably a good call by John Slade. I've been rumaging thru Nats Newsletters this afternoon and found this from #40, January 1993:

"SOLENOIDS
If your battery voltage (and charge) is low, it is very easy for the starter solenoid to stick in the closed position. If your starter solenoid is connected directly to the battery (without going through a master solenoid), the battery will continue to drain, and things could get pretty hot. If this happens, your only recourse is to disconnect the battery, and you have to do it fast!

If you connect the starter solenoid in series with a master solenoid, so that you have to have your master switch on in order to start the engine, you have an easy solution to the problem; just shut off the master switch on the panel. Our Mark IV is wired this way. We did have a starter solenoid stick (before we bought a new battery). We simply shut off the master switch, reached in through the oil door to tap the starter solenoid, got a jump start, and made our way home."

Let everyone beware.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:00 PM
Cozy MK-IV Blonde Streak

Quote:
"If you connect the starter solenoid in series with a master solenoid, so that you have to have your master switch on in order to start the engine, you have an easy solution to the problem; just shut off the master switch on the panel. "
Yep, this is the failure mode I suspect because of the series of events leading up to it. This is exactly how mine was set up - problem was I was too worried about a fuel fire when I saw the smoke that it never crossed my mind to turn off the master, even though I knew it was an electrical fire from the smell. A lesson to all - MEMORIZE those emergency procedures!! Here's the excerpt from my own POH that had I followed it the end result would likely have been much better:

"FIRE

There are normally only two sources of aircraft fires: electrical and fuel. In the event of fire on the ground, kill all electric power and shut the fuel off. Clear the aircraft. Use a carbon dioxide-type extinguisher. For in-flight fire, determine the cause. If electrical, all electrical power should be shut off. If fuel, turn the fuel selector off and all electrical power off. Open the cabin air vent. Execute a precautionary landing as soon as possible."

Emphasis added by me.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:19 PM

Brian,

First of all, I'm terribly sorry to see this happen. You seem to be remarkably
composed. I'm not sure I could be as cool as you have been.

Secondly, the pictures you posted serve to both remind and educate all of us that even the smallest thing can do a lot of harm. I noticed from the pictures that the top of the engine looks in remarkable condition. I can only conclude that the fire appears to have started between the firewall and the back engine baffle and ultimately migrated foward where it could be feed off the main fuel tanks.

This is the area where there are fuel lines, both electrical and engine driven pumps and possibly the gascolator as well. Perhaps even all these components are below the fuel tanks where gravity may not be enough to feed a running engine but plenty to feed a fire.

I have revised my parking check list to include shutting off the fuel. This is something I have not done in twenty years.

I may be way off base with my conclusions here as I am no expert in fires but
I can suspect that many others will be revising their shutdown check list as well.

In the intrest of education thanks again for sharing this misfortune with us.

Rick
Old 08-26-2006, 06:23 PM

You know, there's so much detailed material you've go to go thru to get to the point of flying these plans built planes. Some of the things you pick up that are relevant to operating and flying are at great risk of being forgotten before the completion. My attitude on this tragedy is, if it hadn't happened to you Brian it would've probably happened to me. Hopefully despite this I still don't forget.

Rick, I don't think the fuel cutoff is the main point here. I think that even if there was no fuel in the plane the fire would've been ahead in the race. Take a scrap of composite material and hold a soldering torch along the edge. In this case, think it's about being aware of when you're selenoid is stuck and getting things very hot back there. I've gotta remember to put in one of the warning systems discussed in the aftermath of this. Besides being on top of my emergency checklist.