Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Safety > Accident Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2006, 06:17 PM
Wannabe - with plans

Many moons ago I was training at a regional aerodrome in West Australia. About 8 PM & full dark. I had an Air Force C130 doing circuits, got another taxy call and automatically reached for the runway lights. My hand was most of the way toward the button when I remembered 'they were on', but was then a bit surprised to see they weren't, so did switch them on. I'd only switched on the VASIS for the C130 arrival. Response from C130, "Awww, we were having fun...."
Quote:
...how the hell can three professionals miss that they are on the wrong runway...
They aren't neccessarily supermen just because they get paid, just under more pressure.

In Melbourne we have a GA airport at Essendon, about 4 NM away, with the same runway config, regular attempts to confuse the two, despite warnings in the guide & DAP. We have strobe lights set up on the critical RWY 34 and everybody gets told to report them in sight before they call the tower.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:48 PM
builder wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spodman
They aren't neccessarily supermen just because they get paid, just under more pressure.
Cool. They can follow the procedure like everyone else then. Its not going to work if ten percent of pilots are excused from following the procedure. If thats not the problem, and the procedure is broken, then fix the procedure.

Aviation Law isnt there just to irritate everyone - its there coz its the best way of doing it.

S