Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Finishes and Finishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2006, 05:10 PM
Epoxy Fingerprints

Default Dust collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt View Post
Yeah, what I saw were Delta's. I'd like to collect dust. But perhaps I could make something simple. I've got these three little metal fans from WalChinaMart. And a huge version of the same thing from the orange lumber store. I could take a cardboard box, open one side and put a furnace filter over it, attached by 100mph tape. On the other side cut a circular hole about the diameter of the fan. Sit the fan inside and up to the circular hole, blowing out the hole. Tape the fan base to box bottom. Close & seal with 100mph tape. With 3 fans I could make 3 of these things. That wouldn't be a bad thing to do just to collect some of the dust. Doesn't eliminate the need for a mask though.

I have had a cheapie box-fan with a furnace filter bungie-corded to the thing out in the shop for a couple of years. I replace the filter pretty often. I started that little thing ever since I spray-painted the interior of the house. It is an elegant-looking fan these days with all of the paint speckles all over it.
Cozy Mark IV #1353 builder (weekends); Semiconductor Field Applications Enginer (weekdays).
Current status as of April '07:
*Chapter 4, 5 - completed
*Chapter 6 - in progres, fuselage assembled without a bottom, step 1 completed.

Continuing to make progress every weekend.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:02 PM
ChasingMars

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonC View Post
I'll be sure to send my regards to my scuba compressor. What that comes out of an air compressor will poison you?
Hence many/most... obviously, a breathable air (i.e. SCUBA) compressor produces breathable air, and by inference, if all compressors did, you wouldn't need "breathable air" rated compressors.

For non-electric compressors, the answer to your question is carbon monoxide.

For electric oil-lubricated compressors, the answer is oil mist.

I don't know if there are safety issues on oilless electric compressors.

Wasn't trying to be snarky, just not everyone who reads a post is necessarily aware of all the safety issues with doing something, and if one of the things can be lethal, it bears mentioning, even strongly... sorry if I offended!

Craig
Old 12-06-2006, 09:58 AM
Yet Another Newbie

A little off the original topic...

I was doing concrete wall repair in my basement (30+ yr old wall cracked...) and was making huge amounts of dust. Diamond grinding wheel and air hammer...

After killing one 20" box fan (with furnace filter taped to it) I built my own air cleaner.

I built a frame cube that holds four 20x20" furnace filters, it has a solid bottom and removable solid top. I have an old kitchen range hood blower, I mounted it under the top blowing out. Screwed a power strip to the top, put four filters in it, and wrapped it with two layers of polyester fabric landscape cloth. Every hour or so of dust-making I vacuum the outside of the cloth. It will take the room from "can't see your hand" to "can't see any dust" in about 20 minutes.

The wussy little "air cleaners" I've seen for sale anywhere but Rockler or the other woodworking pro type places are toys by comparison.

Shed for dust collection...

My father built one. When he built his house, he bought a few extra cases of siding and shingles. Then a year later he had a pad poured next to the garage and built a freestanding shed. There are two 8" round ducts from the garage to it, one just off the floor and one at the top of the shed. The big Delta dust collector went in it. He snaked the 4" hose through the lower 8" duct. Without any mufflers in the ducts it's less loud than a cordless drill at 5 feet. This was the single most significant improvement to his shop he's made after the table saw.

I got used to using the AOsafety two-can breathing mask during the concrete work. I just need a fog-free goggles/faceshield, it doesn't need to be breathable air.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:24 PM

Thanks CP, that was good to know. This was my very next project and it'll help. I don't understand "wrapped it with two layers of polyester fabric landscape cloth". I don't know what this cloth is but is supposed to be another layer of filtering? Why both the fabric and the furnace filters?
Old 12-06-2006, 03:53 PM
Yet Another Newbie

Quote:
Thanks CP, that was good to know. This was my very next project and it'll help. I don't understand "wrapped it with two layers of polyester fabric landscape cloth". I don't know what this cloth is but is supposed to be another layer of filtering? Why both the fabric and the furnace filters?
Two stage filtering makes the pleated filters last longer.

The landscape cloth I used was leftover from laying river rock around my house. It actually captures a lot of the larger dust particles, it's roughly equivalent to the cheapie fiberglass furnace filters. I buy the purple label 3m filters marked "ultra allergen" for my house, and I collected used ones and added a couple of new ones. $15 each... I used compressed air to gently blow them clear before using. The air coming out of the box is essentially cleaned of all dust.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:43 PM

Makes alot of sense CP. Glad I won't have to spend all that money on one of those Delta units.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:57 AM
Yet Another Newbie

Quote:
Makes alot of sense CP. Glad I won't have to spend all that money on one of those Delta units.
There's a difference between the "dust collector" and the "air cleaner". I think a good dust collector is a must. The air cleaners I've seen for under $200 don't look very impressive to me.

Another tool that can be used for the same purpose is a shop-vac... Blower, pleated air filter. Same thing, just louder. By using way more filter area you can use a much quieter (lower static pressure) blower and get the same cfm of cleaned air.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptomes View Post
There's a difference between the "dust collector" and the "air cleaner". .... By using way more filter area you can use a much quieter (lower static pressure) blower and get the same cfm of cleaned air.
Yes, I had been thinking only a single filter until you described your design. I'll make one for each of my 3 very quiet little metal fans but a step up from a simple cardboard box.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:49 AM

The respirators arrived yesterday and in excellent condition. These will work GREAT for painting!