Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Landing Gear, Wheels, Tires, and Brakes
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2007, 11:47 PM

Default Beringer wheel/brakes for a Cozy MkIV?

I heard about their brakes before but never saw the catalog. They're openly advertising for the Cozy and claim that they'll be at OSH '07:

http://www.beringer.fr/en_r42

(skip the Flash stuff and you'll eventually see an airplane that can be clicked)

They seem VERY light and look pretty slick if you're into colorful wheels. Anyone have a rough guess about how the weights compare vs the "standard" Clevelands or Matcos?

5" wheel+disc+brake == 4.25 lbs.
6" wheel+disc+brake == 7.93 lbs. (not 8 lbs... but 7.93 lbs)

Master cylinders, axles, oleo struts, and a couple of "anti-lock" regulators, too. The regulator sounds like a neat gadget. Stomp the heck outta both sides in an emergency and get even braking. Nice feature.

I hope one of you poor souls that has to attend OSH this year will brush up on your French ("haw-haw-hawwwwwww"), drop by their booth, and see if they're for real... and then report back to those of us (the lucky ones) that get to stay home.

D
Old 07-04-2007, 01:30 AM
ChasingMars

Default Re: Beringer wheel/brakes for a Cozy MkIV?

Seems a little expensive, at 347 or 431 Euros (depending on whether you look at the catalog or web store - tax difference perhaps?) for a wheel with brake.

That makes it about a thousand bucks for the main wheels/brakes?

Wonder what they charge for the advertized "complete brake system kit" for the Cozy IV?
Cozy IV Plans #1457 - Building Chapter Six!
http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/chasingmars/index.html

Last edited by chasingmars : 07-04-2007 at 01:36 AM.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by --D-- View Post
I heard about their brakes before but never saw the catalog.
There has been some discussion and analysis of these brakes on the COZY mailing list, since one French builder is planning on putting them on his plane.

IMO, while beautiful, they are totally inadequate from an energy absorption and torque standpoint, for a COZY MKIV.

Go to:

http://www.maddyhome.com/cozysrch/search

and search on the keyword "beringer". Three posts from the May, 2007 timeframe will pop up with the discussion.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Zeitlin View Post
There has been some discussion and analysis of these brakes on the COZY mailing list, since one French builder is planning on putting them on his plane.

IMO, while beautiful, they are totally inadequate from an energy absorption and torque standpoint, for a COZY MKIV.

Go to:

http://www.maddyhome.com/cozysrch/search

and search on the keyword "beringer". Three posts from the May, 2007 timeframe will pop up with the discussion.
Cozy_Builders roster authentication failed. year 4
i was never picked for dodge ball eather
Old 07-04-2007, 08:34 PM
ChasingMars

Quote:

I had noticed the dearth of technical information on the site and had been thinking it would be nice if they'd have removed one of the pretty pictures to make room for a "specs" box

I read the archive, and your point about simple mass in the rotor is well taken, but I'm wondering if anyone has actually managed to get any published numbers, or more to the point, if anyone has managed to get a response to the company regarding the concerns as to adequacy?

Materials differ obviously, but I'd agree, it seems unlikely that the discs have on the order of three times the specific energy capacity - but I'll be the first to admit, this is an area I'm not particularly familiar with.
Cozy IV Plans #1457 - Building Chapter Six!
http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/chasingmars/index.html
Old 07-04-2007, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingmars View Post
... I'm wondering if anyone has actually managed to get any published numbers, or more to the point, if anyone has managed to get a response to the company regarding the concerns as to adequacy?
Not that I'm aware of, and one French builder has attempted to some extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingmars View Post
Materials differ obviously, but I'd agree, it seems unlikely that the discs have on the order of three times the specific energy capacity - but I'll be the first to admit, this is an area I'm not particularly familiar with.
If they used aluminum rather than steel for the discs, they'd get a higher heat capacity, but either would lead to some obvious OTHER problems :-).

Steel and carbon/carbon are the normal disc materials, and I guarantee they're not using carbon/carbon (and without a very sophisticated ABS system, you wouldn't want them to) - if they were, they'd be advertising it heavily (and they'd cost a FORTUNE).
Old 07-05-2007, 04:44 PM
MarkIV N513DP Cozy540Xtra

Buy the Matco 3 pucks.
No questions. Well proven on Mark IV installations[won't boil your fluids under heavy usage].
Looks wise, [if it matters] they are groovy anodized.
And they are cheaper than the Cleveland "heavy duty's"..[or at least they were a little over a year ago.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Not that I'm aware of, and one French builder has attempted to some extent.
Thanks for the Cozy list info!

I dug around the web and couldn't find anything on energy capacity, either. The published torque rating for the 5" variety is in the ballpark with the Matco 3 pucks but the spec operating pressure is 870 psi vs 450 psi. Yikes...

Hopefully one of you OSH-bound folks will be able to wander past the Beringer booth to see if they have any data to go along with the pretty pics. Morbid curiosity.

D