Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Instuments / Avionics / Electrical System
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Re: LED position/anti collision

Been a bit busy trying to get the elusive 150k miles on my scooter...

LED's and drivers are getting better/cheaper/more powerful...
Luxeon has a new LED, 180 lumens at 700ma (http://www.luxeon.com/products/line.cfm?lineId=19)
LEDSupply.com (LUXDrive.com) is packaging three of these on a a 20mm hexagonal die/board which is spec'd to produce 300 lumens at 350ma. (540 lumens @ 700ma.) http://www.ledsupply.com/endorstar.php
Zetex has a new driver to drive them (ZXLD1360)
So it's possible to make something approaching a conventional strobe in a package the size of a matchbook (sans power supply... the 12v battery). In the $cheap to inexpen$ive range, each.

I'll bring my demo board (as above) to RR, but it'll be old tech

Rick
Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.concours.org
Build status: 3 4 5 6 7
Old 08-29-2007, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

get er done, i'll install on top of new vert stabs
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 08-29-2007, 11:23 AM
G.Norman

Quote:
get er done, i'll install on top of new vert stabs
You think it's reliable enough? Hate to depend on aftermarket stuff like this at night on my aircraft. How are they in longevitiy, vibration, moisture, extreme temps?

Harbor freight has something similar to that on camo hunting hats right now.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

i can try em out during day time as most if knot all of the first 40 will be day flying
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 08-29-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverquit View Post
You think it's reliable enough? Hate to depend on aftermarket stuff like this at night on my aircraft. How are they in longevitiy, vibration, moisture, extreme temps?
I'm thinking on this!
LED's are *supposed* to be more vibration resistant than incandescents.
As to longevity *if* they're over driven for a strobe application, hmmmm.
The electronics will need some tweaking (over voltage, incorrect polarity, water/moisture ...)
Extreme temps could be a problem, especially if the brains were tucked inside the wing root... near the engine.
The LED arrays may need a heat sink of some sort, they still produce heat.

Thought about strapping my proof of concept board to the top of the motorcycle engine on my way out to RR (heat and vibration!), but what if it puked on the way there? I'll do it on my return to CO, and report back

It's just an idea from a wanna-be (soon to be?) builder in a little red house in the mountains

Rick
Old 08-29-2007, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

can we leave the electronics in da plane?
dust

Old 08-29-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
can we leave the electronics in da plane?
Far as I can tell.
No idea what a long wire run from the 'brain' to the LED will cause... if anything. Wires to each LED 'module' only need to carry an amp, maybe two for a strobe LED array. 22ga should be fine. (note to self, do voltage drop calc)

Hmm, RFI... my demo is probably pretty "dirty". Suppose it could tested next to an antenna.

Rick
Old 08-29-2007, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

this gonna be a twosome, green/strobe and red/strobe?
dust

Old 08-29-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
this gonna be a twosome, green/strobe and red/strobe?
Strobes can only be white, "aviation red", or a red/white split.

As far as combining strobe/position into one unit, I suppose. As I remember, FAR says the lights need to be distinct. How distinct, I don't know. The red position can't double as a strobe though.

Might be better for the strobe to be in the upper outside edge of the winglet, so the pilot isn't blinded; and the red/green position light in the winglet/wing junction, with the white position light someplace in the back. Nat says no extra weight in the winglet.... is a couple of grams too much?

FAR is pretty specific as to spacial distribution.

I look forward to seeing the gear heads (air heads? electron heads?) in RR to kick stuff around.

Rick
Old 08-29-2007, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

current wing tip model has poth position and strobe in a small ugly fixture
dust

Old 08-29-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
current wing tip model has poth position and strobe in a small ugly fixture
Eyes of the beholder

FAR specifies light coverage (spacial distribution), intensities, and colors. It's a bit open as to location. An advantage to the current strobe location/size is getting 360 horizontal coverage and the required vertical coverage. If LED's take their place, and they're recessed in the fuse limiting horizontal coverage...

FAR 23.1385, 23.1387 .. 23.1401
23.1401 is the fun one

Rick
Old 08-31-2007, 12:00 AM
Rotary Powered Velocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZG4Me View Post
Strobes can only be white, "aviation red", or a red/white split.

As far as combining strobe/position into one unit, I suppose. As I remember, FAR says the lights need to be distinct. How distinct, I don't know. The red position can't double as a strobe though.

Might be better for the strobe to be in the upper outside edge of the winglet, so the pilot isn't blinded; and the red/green position light in the winglet/wing junction, with the white position light someplace in the back. Nat says no extra weight in the winglet.... is a couple of grams too much?

FAR is pretty specific as to spacial distribution.

I look forward to seeing the gear heads (air heads? electron heads?) in RR to kick stuff around.

Rick
From a nomenclature standpoint, perhaps it would be less confusing if we didn't use the term "strobe" to apply to LED's.

A strobe light in common useage refers to a light caused by an arc through a tube, the energy is measured in joules. While you can "strobe" an LED from a technically correct standpoint, "flash" is just as accurate.

So.. Anticollision Strobes - yes.. red or white.. or combo.

HOWEVER, you CAN FLASH your wingtip recognition lights as well. I've flown in an 182 that had the ability to flash them, and the USAF/ANG F16's on my field flash them as well.

So.. hooking up a flasher to LED light heads, or to a flasher brain, is a non issue in my book.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

MMMM, won't happen. We still call "tanks" tanks after the water tanks they were labeled as during WWI to hide the fact that they were transporting heavily armored and armed tracked SECRET battle machines.

Strobes will probably be called that till the end of time, no matter how the light is made
dust

Old 09-13-2007, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Staten View Post
From a nomenclature standpoint, perhaps it would be less confusing if we didn't use the term "strobe" to apply to LED's.
From an AV standpoint, no argument from me. Times change though.
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/strobe

Per my earlier topics, the hi-power LED's are somewhat vaporware (duh). I did order out what I could in the hi-lumen range tonight, and will cobble something additional for RR.

5mm square, two of them would do for each position light.

Rick
Old 09-14-2007, 06:18 PM
w/ Spinner and Paddlefoot

Cool Re: LED position/anti collision

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZG4Me View Post
Far as I can tell.
No idea what a long wire run from the 'brain' to the LED will cause... if anything. Wires to each LED 'module' only need to carry an amp, maybe two for a strobe LED array. 22ga should be fine. (note to self, do voltage drop calc)

Hmm, RFI... my demo is probably pretty "dirty". Suppose it could tested next to an antenna.

Rick
That's the good thing about LEDs, they are DC. Unless you "flash" them at over 108000 time per second, or have a really high voltage drop, you should be "in the green". (or red depending on if you're coming or going, which is always good to know)
Plans #618, a tub, and everything I need to go to chapter 11 except: TIME! and a cold beer

"I'll do the "thinnin'" around here, Bobba Looey" ! - Quicksdraw McGraw