View Poll Results: How many have had a gear up landing
one 8 14.55%
more than one 0 0%
None 15 27.27%
not flying yet 32 58.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: How many Gear Up landings do we have?

my design parameter

if it can be done wrong, I'll probably do it wrong and pay the consequences

I have the auto extend nose gear option and hope, really hope that it never has to save the day
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 09-11-2007, 10:54 PM
Cozy MkIV #1348

The problem isn't always that the pilot doesn't follow the checklist. Humans are very capable of seeing what they believe to true, not necessarily what is. If you a running the checklist with the firm belief that you've already put the gear down, your quick glance at the '3 green' is just as likely to confirm that opinion, regardless of whether the lights are on or not. The previous example of 'Bangi 25' swearing he ran the checklist and the lights were green isn't necessarily an example of a pilot failing to run the checklist, it is an example of a pilot running a checklist with the belief that he really doesn't need to.

This is why a loud, obnoxious fail safe alarm on the gear is both a good thing and a dangerous thing. If you are firmly convinced the gear is down, and then this loud, obnoxious alarm goes off on very short final, it can be very disorienting because instead of immediately connecting it to the gear down alarm, your mind tries to find a match for this event in the realm of what it believes possible, and 'gear up' isn't in that domain.

The more convinced you are that you'll never make that mistake, the easier it is for you to see those 'green' light when you make your unnecessary glance at them.
Mark
Old 09-14-2007, 07:57 PM
w/ Spinner and Paddlefoot

I've been flying for 29 years last June and most of it has been retract and mostly at night!
I've never landed gear up in: Aztec, Navajo, Commander 112, Arrow and Commanche in all those years.
I have always used a checklist, every time, without missing.
They work, if you use them.

Of course I'm getting older and my flying days aren't up yet.

Maybe, someday, I'll forget where to land.
Plans #618, a tub, and everything I need to go to chapter 11 except: TIME! and a cold beer

"I'll do the "thinnin'" around here, Bobba Looey" ! - Quicksdraw McGraw