Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Landing Gear, Wheels, Tires, and Brakes
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2007, 02:56 PM
Got Foam?

Default Re: Retract Users rolecall

The Velocity gear pivots at the fuselage.
As the velocity gear deploys the 'stance' narrows.
All the shock of the landing is absorbed by flexing the gear legs.
Because of the the pivot point, you lose space in the hell-hole to the point that you will have to move the rear seat up in order to retrofit (at least on my build you would.)
This type of setup has a history of stress injury to the structure in the legs that has been retrofitted to improve durability.

The infinity gear pivots at the end of the strake.
As the gear deploys it creates a stable 10-11 ft wide stance.
The shock of the landing is absorbed by the oleo strut (just like the big boys do.)
All the space in the hell-hole is freed up to be used for either baggage or additional fuel capacity.
Has a proven durability record both in the Infinity design as well as the aerospace industry as a whole for this type of gear.
Good things come to those that wait.

Just my opinion.
We add rocket's to everything!
Old 06-21-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMann View Post
Wouldn't a setup like that help if you landed with a frozen caliper on one side or is it already a lost issue at that point?
Already a lost cause.

Quote:
Has anyone on the forum experienced such a thing?
yup.
Quote:
If so, what is the worst case scenario?
Worst case? Well, as in all action movies, as soon as anything goes wrong, you have a large explosion with a fireball. I suppose that a thermonuclear reaction could start if the caliper was REALLY frozen, but that's unlikely.

A slightly less worse case would involve lots of fore-aft motion of the landing gear due to the stuck brake, a concomitant large side-to-side motion of the nose, and within 1.5 seconds, a structural failure of the NG30-F22 nose area with a gear collapse and rapid stop on the runway.

Much cursing ensues, but no fireball.

Quote:
Would a steerable nose have helped?
Not in the least. Would have collapsed earlier due to much higher side loading.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:26 PM
w/ Spinner and Paddlefoot

Since I am more pilot than builder: (Pilot, 30 years. Builder, 6 years)
How do you know you have a frozen or stuck caliper until you land?
If you tried to take off with a stuck caliper you couldn't do it!

As much as I hate to agree with Marc on anything, (because he is usually right and I can't figure out why ) no amount of steering with the nosewheel will help. Unless you're in a contest to burn the most rubber.

The majority of weight still rests on the mains, with only one wheel's brakes allowing the inertia to be transferred as weight to the forward part of the airplane, it would be also be split between the front wheel and the controlled wheel, causing the forces to shift between the two. At equal braking (both wheels locked up and tires skidding) a single, steerable nosewheel won't help much. (experiment: Take your little import or small car with a center brake handle that locks the back wheels, (not the front) go to a large empty parking lot after a good rain and the parking lot is wet.(about 11 PM ----MALL) go 45 mph and pull up hard on the brake handle while still holding in the release button. Try to steer the car where you want to go. Right! It doesn't go there even though you have 2 tires with good traction and over half of the weight of the vehicle on them!
What better chance with one wheel skidding and less than 25% of the vehicle weight on the steering tire?
If anyone here was in attendance at my classes in Wabash Valley College in Mt Carmel, IL (mid -90's) you will remember that test. Skidding tires have unpredictable paths on level surfaces, and predictably BAD paths on those that aren't flat.
A steerable nosewheel has one advantage: It will give you something to do with your feet while you're waiting for the airplane to stop.
Plans #618, a tub, and everything I need to go to chapter 11 except: TIME! and a cold beer

"I'll do the "thinnin'" around here, Bobba Looey" ! - Quicksdraw McGraw
Old 06-21-2007, 09:06 PM
EVOLUTION EZE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozy Girrrl View Post
The gear did have to be sent back to JD for upgrading and rebuilding.
This is somewhat true except it was after the rebuild and upgrading that the problems started. the inner strut tube was replaced with a new inproved model made of alumimun by the gear vendor. the machining was done and the slot was crossed filled to finish the slot. the cross filling caused a stress riser and the tube failed during landing. the left wheel rotated to a 45 degree angle and the aircraft departed the runway. Bill had to have a machine shop remake the part out of chrome moly steel. there were no replacment parts in stock to buy. another problem accured when the strut tube twisted in the bracket and again the wheel was turned 30 drgrees this time and aircraft was in a constant left turn.
I was there during these events and and saw it happen and was there to assist Bill in the repair. the big heavy gear takes two to work on it.

Installing this gear or any retractable gear in an eze type aircraft is a big job. none of the gear systems that are available or have been available for this type aircraft are a proven system, most are far from it. talk to any builder and they will tell you that the retract system they installed needed many mods to work properly. there are no two alike because they are all a work in progress and each one gets different mods to make it work. so far the only gear system that is close to a proven system is the fiberglass fixed gear and remember that is also Experimental.

Lynn Erickson A&P for lets say almost 30 years
Much better with a Dremel than a computer.
What if they gave me choice between a fast computer or a fast plane?
Old 06-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Got Foam?

Just thinking out loud here ......... but if you retrofit B52 gear into a Long-EZ will that improve the crosswind capabilities of the aircraft?
We add rocket's to everything!
Old 06-21-2007, 09:21 PM
Finally at Chapter 4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter View Post
If I was going to post to this topic, it would be word for word what Chrissi said.

Waiter
Except for the part where you say Waiter instead of Chrissi.
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
Old 10-11-2007, 11:52 AM

Hello all. I have been "off the grid" for a little while so I am late getting in on this thread. I have Steve Drybread's original EZrg. It has been flying for 850 hours, has about 1000 landings on it.