Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Landing Gear, Wheels, Tires, and Brakes
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
... this year i went to RR with Tape Measure in hand, ready to measure up - just felt foolish doin it.
So did I. Though I *think* I was well behaved, I was pretty uncomfortable 'poking' around, even if it was just with the camera.

It might be wise to print up / hang near apron entrances something like Waiter (I think) has on his website. "Look all you want, but please don't touch...".

Having parked my butt at the 1500' takeoff point for some pictures, I saw several spectators on the frontage road that looked like they'd enjoy getting closer to the aircraft. Might be good PR, might be a big can 'o worms too.

Rick
Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.concours.org
Build status: 3 4 5 6 7
Old 02-15-2007, 02:35 PM
LongEZ-RG

Quote:
It might be wise to print up / hang near apron entrances something like Waiter (I think) has on his website.
Look at "RULES FOR LOOKING AT AIRCRAFT"

http://www.iflyez.com/Placards.shtml

I have this printed on a laminated card. When I display my LongEZ at a flyin or airshow, I place this card (held down with a small bungee) and a couple others on the canard or canopy for all to see. It gets results.

I'll watch as a family (with kids) walk up to the plane. The adults start reading the cards, all the sudden they stop and corel their kids.

Waiter
Old 02-15-2007, 05:46 PM
Donald James Rise Jr

I also have those signs (left over from Oshkosh) I put on my Long-EZ when on display. I have VG's on my canard, and I got back just in time to watch a guy pull off one of my VG. They are held on with RTV as per instruction's. I asked him if he could not read the sign. He said the sign was up side down. and said. You didn't put them on too good. I asked him what he thought the sign said up side down. I then asked him what part of PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH he had trouble understanding. He walked away.
It might be just a Hoosier thing.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Phil Kriley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseguy View Post
I also have those signs (left over from Oshkosh) I put on my Long-EZ when on display. I have VG's on my canard, and I got back just in time to watch a guy pull off one of my VG. They are held on with RTV as per instruction's. I asked him if he could not read the sign. He said the sign was up side down. and said. You didn't put them on too good. I asked him what he thought the sign said up side down. I then asked him what part of PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH he had trouble understanding. He walked away.
It might be just a Hoosier thing.
I do not believe I would have been as calm and polite as you appear to have been. I do believe I may have been tempted to kick his arse...
Plans #1460
Chapter 9, Step 1
Old 03-19-2007, 12:00 PM

Default Desk angle for propeller strike.

Ouff ! Hot thread !

Why did you not display figures ?
I build and fly a VE (builder ). Months ago, for my own curiosity (civil engineer ! ), in the hangar I lift up the nose of VE F-PMPZ until the prop tip (originaly vertical) came into contact withe the ground and gauge the angle at longeron with a spirit-level with a graduated dial; (as those used to adjust blades pitch on ULM propellers, or other...).
I read 14°.
Engine WL @ flight-wheel was down to 810mm (32"). Leveled is standard 11770mm (46"). Engine is Lyc O-235 C2C. Propeller diameter 63" (1600mm).
Do you imagine such a flying angle attitude at touch down ?
In that artificial and safe nose up attitude, the gap between rudder rear corner to ground was 300mm (12").

Moving main wheels axis back will have affect as decribed from Marc.

I experienced such a bad hot landing. I was max rear CG (101" or more...?!)w the large canard (150") and 1050 lb (475kg).That was me impossible to control flight reducing the power. I had 1/2 second to understand what was appening and imagine "a" solution....==> Fly all the pattern "full trottle" in order to get the salutary engine horizontal thrust to avoid deep stall....To keep flight control on "final", I had to approach @ 180km/h (97kt 112mph). Final too....
I shut engine off to reduce speed, and touch as "gentle" possible ,
The plane go down, but it directly roll right and left; an under winglet hit the runway; 1/2" missing now But I was "safe" few feet above the RW, instead in open contry.....

Nose was far abose the horizon.....
As main gear touch, nose wheel was splatched hardly to the runway (concrete). No other damages Ouf........
But, looking closer later, I discover the vertical nose wheel axis (NG17) was bent. About 6° (between NG15 and NG16).
I think, it's what can append moving the main wheels axel aft (not speaking of take-off distance increase, as described by Marc in his post here).

If that can help.
Canard is now 142" for 3 years.....

Regards to you all.
Gilbert.
F-PMPZ @ LFPK
Old 10-08-2007, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Moving Mains back and other Surprises

At rough river i had a loooooong chat with a vari and a cozy flier. Great stuff. i mentioned changing the geometry to stop prop strikes.

the cozy pilot looked at me and said - they don't happen - i said I've heard of 5 or 6.

He thought about it for a moment.

A surprised look came over his face. He then said:

"I had a partner in the plane and about 1/2 hour after take off a few years back 1/3 of a blade departed"

He looked in disbelieve as he realized his own plane, a cozy, had had a prop strike, it explained it to him.
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 10-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

The more fliers i chat with, the more i find out. Interesting

My beginning supposition was if i heard of a problem or two, that meant that it happened quite a bit more often than i knew. People don't broadcast their mistakes. When they do, listen and learn.

Just asked a vari flier if he had ever hit his prop, he said yes and then there was silence, i said something and he said, hold on a minute I'm counting the times. i held on

4 was his answer, he went on to say on two occasions he was able to trim past the damage and ended up with higher RPM and more performance and the other two occasions required new props.
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 10-12-2007, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Erickson View Post
I have seen both a cozy 3 and a long eze with wheel marks on the bottom of the wing. one hit the prop and the other did not.

Tipping your plane in the hangar and looking at the position that it would require to hit the prop is not a valid way to determine if it is possible.

The landing gear are moving during both take off and landing.

The more Beers I have with fliers, the more i find out and the more they find out

Good stuffff
dust