Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Talk All About Canard Aviation > Great Threads that can plane help builders, lurkers and fliers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2004, 03:57 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Default Chapter 25 - Polyfiber Paint

Much to my regret I used the Polyfiber Smooth Prime and Top Gloss paint system. Many edges are now cracking and peeling, and there seems to be no way to sand the Top Gloss edges. As I sand, a bit of the edge breaks off. I just end up "chasing the ridge". In some areas I can just get my fingernail under the paint and peel it off in strips.

Today I spoke with Jon Goldenbaum, who I think is the owner of Polyfiber. Jon told me that some builders are really happy with Top Gloss, and some are really disappointed. He feels that the problem is adhesion between the smooth prime and the top gloss, possibly due to humid conditions during painting and curing.

On hearing of my problems Jon immediately offered to send (free of charge) a complete set of materials to repaint the plane with an epoxy based primer and urathane based gloss system manufactured by Polyfiber. Apparantly this has been their policy for years.

I don't look forward to sanding and repainting the whole plane, but I can't complane about the overall attitude at Polyfiber.

Old 07-14-2004, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you need willing slaves, i mean volunteers to learn all about painting. put it on the calendar
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 09-18-2004, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade
Much to my regret I used the Polyfiber Smooth Prime and Top Gloss paint system. Many edges are now cracking and peeling, and there seems to be no way to sand the Top Gloss edges. As I sand, a bit of the edge breaks off. I just end up "chasing the ridge". In some areas I can just get my fingernail under the paint and peel it off in strips.
Yep. Got that problem too.

Quote:
Jon told me that some builders are really happy with Top Gloss, and some are really disappointed. He feels that the problem is adhesion between the smooth prime and the top gloss, possibly due to humid conditions during painting and curing.
Which no other paint/primer systems have. They've taken Top Gloss off the market - what does THAT tell you?

Quote:
On hearing of my problems Jon immediately offered to send (free of charge) a complete set of materials to repaint the plane with an epoxy based primer and urathane based gloss system manufactured by Polyfiber. Apparantly this has been their policy for years.
So, in other words, for years they've known that their paint is defective, and have been willing to replace it with something else, but only recently stopped pawning it off on unsuspecting customers. John, if PF had told either of us that some reasonble percentage of their users had these problems, do you think that we'd have gone this route? NFL.

Quote:
I don't look forward to sanding and repainting the whole plane, but I can't complane about the overall attitude at Polyfiber.
Don't start just yet. Wait until the Smoothprime starts to bubble up and ruin the paint finish even more, and until the Top Gloss starts to chalk and loose gloss due to UV exposure (oh, wait, you're in a hangar, aren't you - maybe you won't have THAT problem). At any rate, they'll tell you that the epoxy primer will prevent the Smoothprime from bubbling up through the new top coat - are you willing to do all that refinishing work and take the chance that it'll happen AGAIN? I'm sure not. When I refinish my plane in a couple of years, all the Smoothprime is coming off and a completely different priming and finishing system is going on. Hopefully at someone else's expense.....
Old 09-18-2004, 06:22 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Quote:
Don't start just yet
Yea. I'm starting to see some weird little bubbles where everything WAS perfect. Looks like a rash. I'm not planning to repaint it for a while. I'd like to get some hours on it first. Maybe I'll take it to fly-ins for a couple of years with a big sign:

"This plane painted with Polyfiber paint"
Old 09-18-2004, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Yea. I'm starting to see some weird little bubbles where everything WAS perfect. Looks like a rash.
Bingo. You've barely had it painted for a year, right? That's about when mine started showing up. It's dependent upon temperature and weather - sometimes they come, sometimes they go.

Quote:
Maybe I'll take it to fly-ins for a couple of years with a big sign:

"This plane painted with Polyfiber paint"
Not a bad idea..... Although Jon G. hasn't been to OSH or S&F this year, AFAIK....
Old 09-18-2004, 08:49 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Quote:
Although Jon G. hasn't been to OSH or S&F this year
It's not him I was trying to reach - it's his potential customers.