Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Talk All About Canard Aviation > Great Threads that can plane help builders, lurkers and fliers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2004, 11:11 AM
w/ Spinner and Paddlefoot

Lightbulb Stuck with ASS again, or Wix...

Yes, it's down to Aircraft Spruce or Wicks for the wing/canard foam...

Why? Because I can't figure out the **real** specs for the BLUE FOAM!

Interestingly the only thing mentioned is:

1. The density. 2.0 per something or other.
2. EPS (expanded poly styrene)
3. Blue color (but, plans say it can be white but the bottom line is "to stick to the approved vendors")
4. It's Styrofoam.
5. It is "Large Cell" type. (as opposed to small cell?)

During 2 days of research, I found that most builders who posted in the Cozy list, the Canard Zone and this forum, are under the impression that Dow makes the blue foam. Dow makes blue foam but it's not EPS, it's E PS or Extruded Poly Styrene, it is the REAL styrofoam and they are touchy about it. On their site, they say that the real styrofoam isn't that stuff that they make coffee cups out of, no, oh no! The real styrofoam (R with a circle around it) is the stuff they make and it ain't white.

There are a BUNCH of EPS manufacturers out there and none of them advertise "Large Cell" EPS, but they DO have the right density of 2.0.

This brings me back to Dow.
The only stuff that they make that is in a form big enough to make parts out of without glueing pieces together, is their "Flotation Dock Billets". Made out of gool ol' E PS.

Now the $439.52 question: Is it the same stuff ASS and WiX sells?

Talk to me Goose! (from Top Gun, the movie)

Also, LargePrime (who must be on extended vacation somewhere, or off blowing stuff up with his Navy Seal buddies again) alluded to some technical specs on the stuff. Anybody seen those specs anywhere?

Lastly, getting stuff shipped in and out of Florida is a nightmare. Especially during "The Holidaze". Allow about 5 extra days for anything to get anywhere.

Thanks for your support
Old 12-20-2004, 12:38 PM

Talking Stuck....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust
u want me to send you a piece to compare against? but you know, the stuff you are looking at probably does not have the correct foot prints and fork lift holes that the approved stuff has
Actually, I was going to pop for a small piece from ASS to compare with the piece Dow is sending. I can only hope it is a representative slice (like bacon in the grocery store) of the personal "pre mods" done in the shipping process. A nice staple gouge can really test the mettle of a novice composite engineer, but not as much as a full fledged conveyor belt wedgie! Plus, all my stuff is delivered by UDS, you remember him? He is the guy in brown at the beginning of the movie "Ace Ventura, Pet Detective".

Thanks for the offer. BTW I can get the other foam locally, this is a big boat-building area and there is plenty of the other type of foam available..

Here is a pic of our beer delivery:
It's enough to make a grown man cry!
If they treat our beer this way **sniff** you can imagine how they treat our **sob** foam!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RoadAccident.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	555  
Old 12-20-2004, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Cargo
...Why? Because I can't figure out the **real** specs for the BLUE FOAM!..... Dow makes blue foam but it's not EPS, it's E PS or Extruded Poly Styrene...
THAT's the right stuff - the extruded type.

Quote:
There are a BUNCH of EPS manufacturers out there and none of them advertise "Large Cell" EPS, but they DO have the right density of 2.0.
But you don't want "expanded".

Quote:
This brings me back to Dow.
The only stuff that they make that is in a form big enough to make parts out of without glueing pieces together, is their "Flotation Dock Billets". Made out of gool ol' E PS.
That's the right stuff - see:

http://www.buoyancyfoam.com/

Those billets piled up in the picture are EXACTLY what you will get from ACS or Wicks.

Quote:
Now the $439.52 question: Is it the same stuff ASS and WiX sells?
Yes. Exactly.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:18 PM

Exclamation Equifax, Experian and Transunion won't own up!

I will be glad to give credit where credit is due:
Thanks Marc!

Thank goodness somebody else knows the difference between expanded and extruded!

Now, if my local Dow foam products distributor can see his way clear to fork over the foam (I need my arms and legs and my firstborn), I'll be making some airfoils!!

BTW Marc, you're on my list for people I owe a beer (or coffee or favorite desert) to for personally furthering the "endeavor" and being an example of how to "get it done"! and having educated one's self past the nominal and, most importantly, sharing it with the unlearned.

Thanks!
Old 12-20-2004, 06:28 PM

Default Hmmm, here come the safety Natzis

Actually that kind of foam is bouyant only in the water, the one that has FAA certification is bouyant in the air. Of course it cost twice as much.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:27 PM
Determined Builder 98+18%

I used 6 of the 10x24x96, and trimmed them down to the 20 size for the wing angle calcs.

It does mean not having to add that additional piece on the inboard sections.

$60 ea C$ delivered - but I had to buy the 8 pieces strapped together!