Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Talk All About Canard Aviation > PreBuild Planning and ACTIONS > Plane Day
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2004, 07:27 PM
Determined Builder 98+18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clifford
It was kinda warm today, about 20*F. Oh well... at least it was warmer that yesterday by about 15*F We started at about 9:30, had a short break for lunch, then finished up the move by 3:00, closed the doors and started the furnace back up Got back into building airplanes and built some shelves. Dust will build a work table and Mr. LeFluer will build a lay-up table so he can start his plane and stop working on ours!!! We ARE spoiled rotten
Spoiled rotten is dead on! Wow, I had NO Idea it was that large - and now I may be in real trouble guys - my wife saw the pics and wants one just like it. She says I can have one too on the other side of the driveway!

Here I'm trying to talk her down from 100 acres, and now she wants half of that indoors!
You do realize you could fit my entire shop inside almost 4 times?

Question though, what height are your ceilings? They look to be 10'+?

Great shop - I'm completely jealous!

Is there a second floor also for storage etc? Or just more space?

/dan
Old 12-26-2004, 08:18 PM

Its 32' X 56' with 9-1/2' ceilimgs. R-38 walls with R-49 ceiling insulation and a 98% furnace. No storage up.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:35 PM

Default Wow

i couldn't even buy the outlet covers for that shop.....
Old 01-02-2005, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Well, funny plane day, first day in new shop, spent the mornin cleaning and arranging it, had a "HOT Stripper" there in the morning, Her name is Telly, really wore Thanes back out.

Great lunch, more creme of shitaki mushroom soup and freshly prepared and sliced corn beef and a variety of cheeses, breads, olives, (stuffed green and black) sour, dill and bread and butter pickles, special cole slaw for eatin plain or putting on sandwiches.

my only problem of the day was, i was sick and slept on the couch all afternoon while dave and thane built planes.

The hot stripper works great, bought it on ebay, made by teledyne and plugs into a 110 volt outlet, with no heat control, just hit the button and the wire is stripped.
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 01-02-2005, 10:22 PM
Finally at Chapter 4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust
Great lunch, more creme of shitaki mushroom soup and freshly prepared and sliced corn beef and a variety of cheeses, breads, olives, (stuffed green and black) sour, dill and bread and butter pickles, special cole slaw for eatin plain or putting on sandwiches.
Ahhhhhhhhh!

I spent all day outside in the rain working on my car. Couldn't get to plane day. Corned beef and mushroom soup are my favorites!
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
Old 01-20-2005, 01:06 AM
A builder at last.

Dust wrote in message 11:
Quote:
Where is the Rolling On The Ground Laughing My Ass off icon, when you need it - ROTGLMAS

I FINALLY LOCATED IT!
Attached Images

Celebrating four years of NOT building.

You are buildin a dam airplane from scratch and you do not know what you are doin!!!! - Dust

-Inspired by Burt, designed by Nat, built by me. (Hopefully)

www.Cozy1200.com - just pics and misc ramblings
Old 02-21-2005, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

PLane Day - ok Vtail Nick the Greek came to plane day to help findin the darn fuel tank leak, hooked up freon to tank and with a lighter we think we have found the ultra slow leak, 2 hours to go from 3 to 2 psi.

I spent hours grindin out crapola from the storage area in the strake and next plane day i will clean it up and lay glass and thick micro in the area and hopefully, hopefully, will have no leak.

Also worked a little on fitting canopy in advance of setting hinge and clifford decided to make forward opening canopy.

thane, mike and dave installed torque tubes for ailerons and layed foam, reset steel counterweight and micro for next step in aileron repair.

I feel like ima gettin lost, not more BIG things to do - lots of piddly stuff and am worried that we are gonna run out of a stupid supple that will stop work randomly.

I think tyhane and i will review plans one night this week to get a plan goin

I really hate the look of the planes at this time - nothin spiffy all still rough, can't wait to get to makin spiffy

i want spiffy lookin plane, NOW

Plane day is Saturday this week - what are we doin, .........well fixin tank, fixin aileron, installing flight control systems, installing canopies
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 02-21-2005, 11:25 AM
Finally at Chapter 4!

Here's some snaps of the work in progress yesterday.

First we have Thane and Dave working on torque tubes.

Next is dust and Nick trying to find that damned leak.

Then is the aileron fix with the counterweight reset and the extended surface.

Last we have a shot of the snow storm outside the factory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aileron fix.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	785  Click image for larger version

Name:	Leaky tank.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	786  Click image for larger version

Name:	Torque tubes.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	787  Click image for larger version

Name:	Snowstorm.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	788  
Old 03-02-2005, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Last Week was a good week, thane and dave glassed the repaired aileron, next is reinstall hinges and recut aileron pocket. aileron controls installed in two ailerons.

Mr Lafleur and I sanded and glassed the strake storage area, put a shop vac on the suspect tank leaking area, painted with epoxy, filled and smoother with thick micro, put vacuum on tank for a coupla secs, reglassed.

This week, test tank, if it leaks thenthenthenthen, well we wont take an axe to it, but the thought will cross my mind

Plane day is Saturday this week

Oh yeah - lafluer brought in a big ole vacuum gauge - hooked it up to the shop vac and the gauge ran 3 I HG vacuum
dust

Old 03-10-2005, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

hey - hey Drew drove up for plane day - stayed up talkin cozies till 2 in the morning, went to bed and hey - woke up on time.

plane day south - finished installing the repaired aileron - it balanced and fits back in place. torque tubes a gettin installed, life was good

plane day north - life sucks - tank still leaks. as i got a small whiff of the nasty gas that freon makes when burned in the main spar - i /we - drew and i, spent the day in that stupid little area trying to find the leak. ... ended up just painting with soapy water and starrrrrrrring to see bubbles and NONE, so, stuck a vacuum on the tank and painted with epoxy for 1/2 an hour.

if this doesn't work, I just do not know where to go next maybe an AXE?????

oh yeah - Drew got to do a big layup, surprised he did not tell everyone on the forum about it
dust

Old 03-11-2005, 01:52 AM
A builder at last.

Plane day number 4 for me (I think). I promoted myself to a senior slave.

Oh, by the way I did a BIG layup. All by myself. The only one of the day in fact. I think it measured a whole 3"x4"

I even brought a toy.... The FEIN SANDER. Everyone loved it. Dust tried to steal it.

and on to a few pics.

Pic 1: new larger sumps. (Nice Touch)
Pic 2: Dust pulling a hinge out of this ...
Pic 3: Dust staring a soapy water looking for leaks in the spar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GJ-001a.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	838  Click image for larger version

Name:	GJ-009a.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	839  Click image for larger version

Name:	GJ-023a.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	840  
Celebrating four years of NOT building.

You are buildin a dam airplane from scratch and you do not know what you are doin!!!! - Dust

-Inspired by Burt, designed by Nat, built by me. (Hopefully)

www.Cozy1200.com - just pics and misc ramblings
Old 03-11-2005, 08:53 AM

Hmmm....that sump picture....

I had assumed that the funky zebra-stripe pattern on the outside of the fuselage was some sort of peel-ply material using leftovers from a fabric store...but the sump is clearly laid up over it.

So I must be wrong about the markings on the fuselage.

Dust? What's the deal?

MORE COWBELL!
Old 03-11-2005, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas
Hmmm....that sump picture....

I had assumed that the funky zebra-stripe pattern on the outside of the fuselage was some sort of peel-ply material using leftovers from a fabric store...but the sump is clearly laid up over it.

So I must be wrong about the markings on the fuselage.

Dust? What's the deal?
You are RIGHT - the funky zebra pattern peel ply fabric dye bled into the layup.
dust

Old 03-11-2005, 02:32 PM

So Dust,

1) when did you start your Cozy?

2) in leiu of a website, how about more recent pics?
Old 03-11-2005, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

In may it will be seven plane day years in may

the pics are spread out on two forums and many picture books, one day i can organize them and post the wing jigs actually in use!!!!!
dust