Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Talk All About Canard Aviation > PreBuild Planning and ACTIONS > Plane Day
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Nothing Fancy, Just Dust's Plane Day

forcing myself to do the tasks i fear or dislike doing, making progress, drilled holes for lower cowl attach, last one on each side a little off, when done you are welcome to get on back to see
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 10-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

last night drilled all the holes for the screws for lower cowl, from outside, used pipe hanging metal strapping to start all.

Not bad
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 10-29-2012, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

made GREAT progress on the weekend, got around to should do someday projects. little things that are done.

also glassed the outide of the lower cowl lip

started the IP cover

Feel good about plane building
dust

Last edited by Dust : 10-31-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Finally making progress, been working steady fixing stupid things that were done 10 years ago!

this weekend set flanges and screws for IP cover.
cut hold in bottom for landing/taxi light, cut coax wire to marker beacon antenna, oops

finalized finish on firewall, no "machine finish, tried, can't do it, just brushed, easy to repair the eventual scratches.
dust

Old 08-12-2013, 01:02 PM

Wish I could but I just got back from the West trip. 5000+ miles driving over 32 days.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Last night was a very productive night. The landing/taxi surround went in perfect. Now on to the cover for it and the control arm.
dust

Old 08-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Last night another productive night. Used my milling machine to make an aluminum plate for the actuation handle for the landing/taxi light.

Piece of cake

made a plywood handle sample. worked perfect. Problem, my band saw has a blade that is too big to cut the arc of the handle.

tonight i'll use a saber saw, the mill does not cut curves.

No pics till i get a new phone when the new apple comes out.

checking things off the work list
dust

Old 08-15-2013, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

I have tow problems with my elevators.

the bell crank for the autopilot is in the wrong position and the hole for the attach bolt is at the wrong position.

The elevators are off to one another by a little over one degree.

Started the repair last night, need a new crossover tube MATCH DRILLED TO OFFSETS.

PIA, will continue tonight
dust

Old 08-16-2013, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Writing each day seems to focus me on the build.

Last night i had to match drill for a new crossover tube between the elevators. Took it apart and saw that the wall of the elevator through the wall pieces was .09 thick, cool. Went to the industrial tool supply and asked for a very flatly sharpened center drill. They had a 120 degree center drill, i was determined to sharpen flatter if i had to.

Because of the curve of the tube, the effective wall for guiding the drill is thicker. Drilled the first hole on drill press, lined it up and drilled the second hole on the bench.

Had cut the tube too short, went home had dinner, came back and it worked a second time.

Another task i had not looked forward to done and done well. I know i could have drilled a second set of holes off at 45 degrees, did not want to and did not need to in the end. The cost for the center drill, 4.50, but they just gave it to me. Been there before.
dust

Old 08-19-2013, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Weekend was full of family and friends stuff, well did give 2 tours of the plane.

Now that i am almost complete on the tasks at hand, installing bell crank for autopilot and fixing elevator mismatch, replacing bolts for Rudder pulleys, SS firewall install, IP cover attach screws.

What Next?

Wing attach drains and cover install
mmmmm - have to go to my list
dust

Old 08-20-2013, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Well, i had already made a plywood sample actuating arm for the landing/taxi light but it was very rough. I made 2 more last night and got a shape that works better.

Then i made one from aluminum, put it on and found it was too short.

AHHHHHHH

I hate that. But instead of getting frustrated i just made another.

Another night, another part.

now i have to attach plate and figure out how to spring it so it stays in place.

I think sealing it will be EZ, course i always think everything will be EZ

Can't wait to get a new phone so i can post pics.
dust

Old 08-21-2013, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Last night i had plans, still stopped by hangar and drilled a hole, finalized shape of handle then went to my night out.

Progress

Tonight, install plate for handle guide, an adjustable stop for handle.

all thats left is a spring and two stop notches i'll do when light is wired in, may stop in hardware tonight and figure out spring
dust

Old 08-22-2013, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

I was a bad boy last evening, went to hangar, then to hardware store for springs for landing/taxi light handle, found 2 prospects.

Went back to hangar, shaped a piece of metal for the hold down, simple, drilled the spring hole too close to edge, have to start over.

Went home and had dinner, meaning to return, never did

On the bright side, had a transient pilot review my proposed switches, he found 3 I missed. 2 alternator field and 1 for heated pitot
dust

Old 08-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Why, why, why do the simplest seeming jobs take me so long, last night, made simple arm, stopped by hardware and bought spring #3, drilled holes for arm pivot point and spring, ground down arm bushing, drilled 4, i mean 2 holes in bulkhead.

2 holes because the lower stub bulkhead did not exist where i needed the holes!!!!!

glued foam on, tonight, glass foam in, tomorrow, drill last STUPID holes for plate for landing/taxi light
dust

Old 08-26-2013, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

well, taxi light almost done, the little strip of a bulkhead is delaminated at the top, i'll repair it tonight. Plate is bedded in

i'll cut the stops in when light is wired in.

yesterday had an upholsterer in, may work well for me.

figured out where to install roll servo for auto pilot. Looks like i'll dig out wing root to make room.

feels good defining next project
dust