Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Finishes and Finishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2006, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Default Paint Guns

Would these be good enough?
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...rID=348&KICKER
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 06-21-2006, 02:00 PM
G.Norman

Yup. If you want to buy your own. I have two just for the asking.

If you want to really do it right, get a pressure pot. You mix all the paint at once. Pot held in left hand, spray gun held in right hand. No going back and refilling that little cup. No accidental dumping paint on plane while spraying horizontal surfaces.

Last edited by neverquit : 06-22-2006 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:04 PM

Default Paint Guns

Make sure you match the gun cfm's to your compressor. Chuck
Old 06-21-2006, 10:21 PM

they are good starter guns,ie tree house,waggon,your X's car
but for a coxy??????? no way, starter guns are for girls...
buck up and get a good gun...starting at 200-395
the starter guns are good for primer but will run (1.8-2.0) ifin you not carefull
but on the other hand you good get lucky?
i got lots for "starter guns" but they ALL dont atomize very well,
but shoot lines of pant ie heavy top spray,no center spray,dry on top-run on bottom. the time you spend sanding and buffing will be hundreds of dollers
So best bang for the buck is buck-up buco.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:20 AM
w/ Spinner and Paddlefoot

Default Starter guns shoot blanks..

DeVilbiss used to be a top of the line gun for everything, from primer to clear coats. What happened Steve? Are they made in Chiney? I have a mid range HVLP gun that is wonderful, but I still have my old Sharp and my old DeVilbiss at the ready.
Sometimes, it's the ability of the user, not the gun

There are a couple of "Vettes" a couple of old mopars and an old Willys that still shine from particles emulated from my old armory.

It takes Skills, man - skills.
Plans #618, a tub, and everything I need to go to chapter 11 except: TIME! and a cold beer

"I'll do the "thinnin'" around here, Bobba Looey" ! - Quicksdraw McGraw
Old 06-22-2006, 07:35 AM
Rich

Not to paint myself into the proverbial corner but---

can a standard HVLP gun be converted into a pressure pot type?

I have a Croix Unit. (don't know who makes the gun)
Old 06-22-2006, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

I have a cheep HVLP -works for Lacquer on furniture just fine, but would not trust it for heavier primers and paints.

I think I'll just use Neverquits, hopefully while attached to his experienced hands

I may change my name from Dust to NeverQuite
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 06-22-2006, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by argoldman
Not to paint myself into the proverbial corner but---

can a standard HVLP gun be converted into a pressure pot type?

I have a Croix Unit. (don't know who makes the gun)
you could if you dont mind the hoses* on the top but why would you? the pot gun is cheep if you get it with the pot
Old 06-22-2006, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Cargo
DeVilbiss used to be a top of the line gun for everything, from primer to clear coats. What happened Steve? Are they made in Chiney? I have a mid range HVLP gun that is wonderful, but I still have my old Sharp and my old DeVilbiss at the ready.
Sometimes, it's the ability of the user, not the gun

There are a couple of "Vettes" a couple of old mopars and an old Willys that still shine from particles emulated from my old armory.

It takes Skills, man - skills.
i dont think so, i(we) have tryed to shoot with knok offs(when the good guns are barowwed out or full or what ever>and the over all paint jobs are for less than sellabul ie little dry spots or a gloss that fades out in a day or so(redusers traped in the base)the list is long. i dont care how good you are,the tips dont fly right but i have in a pinch use such guns with good looking shine.....but from a "get payed for a nice job" i couldn't with good faith . just my two cents
Old 06-22-2006, 11:05 AM
G.Norman

Quote:
DeVilbiss used to be a top of the line gun for everything, from primer to clear coats. What happened Steve? Are they made in Chiney?
You might be surprised to find that all are.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:22 PM

Lightbulb Say it ain't so..

Even my trusty Binks is now made in Chiney? C'mon. Binks is an Amurican name!
They wouldn't, would they?

Come to think of it, Devilbiss did kind of prostitute itself to the cheap pneumatic market a few years back, it wouldn't surprise me if they went "import" on us.

But not Binks. It's still owned by Americans (ITW in Wisconsin) but I think they own Devilbiss too. The only plant in Asia area is Thailand (Not Taiwan or China)

But yer wrong about Devilbiss being made in China.....

It's Mexico.
Plans #618, a tub, and everything I need to go to chapter 11 except: TIME! and a cold beer

Old 06-22-2006, 02:03 PM
G.Norman

Quote:
But not Binks. It's still owned by Americans (ITW in Wisconsin) but I think they own Devilbiss too.
Yes, so are all American names like Briggs & Stratton (Millwaukee), Black & Decker, Panasonic, Shakespear, Motorola, Ford, GM, Chrysler, and John Deere. Guess what!

Quote:
The only plant in Asia area is Thailand (Not Taiwan or China)
Yes, that makes it better. Same with Mexico. I can sleep nights now.

Quote:
But yer wrong about Devilbiss being made in China.....
Made or assembled? Which part, which gun? Unless you work for Binks you will never know. My statement still stands. You'd be surprised. As a matter of fact, have you ever had that fine fish called Tilapia?

WAKE UP!
Old 06-23-2006, 12:30 PM

Arrow Tilapia Mozambiqua?

Yes, I have had Tilapia (My wife is Cuban, Cubans eat it a lot I think).

But my favorite way to consume that fish is to cut it into little cubes, cure it in lime juice for 6 hours with some small shrimps, throw in some more lime juice, diced tomatos, chopped fresh cilantro, onions and some hot peppers, chill it for an hour or so, and then spread the mix on a crisp tostada shell. They call it Ceviche. It's pretty darn goooood! I would not advise holding a plate of it over your head, your tongue would beat your brains out!

But I digress, don't tell me that Tilapia comes from China! I think Tilapia is a label more than a name. Like sardines or grouper or bass.

I don't mind so much if stuff is from China or Mexico any more. ISO 9XXX has gone international. The fact that something is made in the USA doesn't mean it's going to be the best, or that the one you buy will be the best. My rule of thumb is: Good Mechanical = German Good Electronic = Japanese Since I can't afford either of those I usually buy American. If the quality looks bad, I go with Asian (not Japanese) and beef it up myself with known good components, or I make them myself. Some stuff is just poop. You can't fix poop. It's still poop. It will remain poop after you realize it's poop. I don't buy poop. Half the stuff at Harbor freight is poop. Some of the stuff at Northern Tool is poop too, it's just more expensive.

There, I put the thread halfway back on track...

Old 06-23-2006, 05:27 PM
G.Norman

Quote:
My rule of thumb is: Good Mechanical = German Good Electronic = Japanese Since I can't afford either of those I usually buy American. If the quality looks bad, I go with Asian (not Japanese)
The point I'm trying to make here is that you can't judge a book by it's cover. You don't care where it's made? I do very much. I suggest you buy a quality paint gun for what it is because you don't realy know where it's from.

Quote:
But I digress, don't tell me that Tilapia comes from China! I think Tilapia is a label more than a name. Like sardines or grouper or bass.
Okay, don't go to this website then...

http://ag.arizona.edu/azaqua/aquacul...lapiachina.htm

Of you don't then here's a hint from Oceansalive.org "The main sources of Nile tilapia are China, Egypt and Thailand. "

Okay, I want to stop this but Clutch you need to post that recipe. Sorry fellow Canardians. This is dragging on.