Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Firewall Backward and Forward
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2006, 09:51 PM
building IO-360 mark IV

Default fiberglass cylinder head wraps

Hi all

Can anyone give me some info on these I've heard that you use high tempeture (RTV) silicone mashed into bid with a rolling pen or somthing like that. My question is do you also use epoxy or do you just use plain high temp silicone?

Thanks
God Bless
Scott
Old 07-13-2006, 10:44 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

If you're talking about the baffles people make out of BID and RTV, I believe there's no epoxy involved.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:24 AM

Bill James said he used regular ol' BID and EZ-Poxy. His trick to avoid turning the plenums into goooo was to post cure them in 50 degree increments. Not sure what his max temp was... but I'm pretty sure he published it somewhere on ez.org. Here's the link:

http://www.ez.org/ezcron05.htm

D
Old 07-14-2006, 10:06 PM
EVOLUTION EZE

Quote:
Originally Posted by --D--
Bill James said he used regular ol' BID and EZ-Poxy. His trick to avoid turning the plenums into goooo was to post cure them in 50 degree increments. Not sure what his max temp was... but I'm pretty sure he published it somewhere on ez.org. Here's the link:

http://www.ez.org/ezcron05.htm

D
One of the best and ezeist ways to post cure an engine plenum is to start the engine and get it warm. Then leave the plenum in place until the engine cools. remember the epoxy is being cooled by the air flowing into the engine. the plenum gets the hottest after shut down. I have built many with ezpoxy and non have melted.

Lynn Erickson A&P for lets say almost 30 years
Much better with a Dremel than a computer.
What if they gave me choice between a fast computer or a fast plane?
Old 07-14-2006, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

Hey lynn - the ones you have built - do they lay on the fins? I know the answer is yes, just makin sure
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 07-15-2006, 12:22 AM
EVOLUTION EZE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust
Hey lynn - the ones you have built - do they lay on the fins? I know the answer is yes, just makin sure
No, there is an aluminum baffle all the way around the engine in contact with the cylinder and cyl.head. the baffle extends down under the cyl. and warps around with 2" open area on the bottom center of each cyl. the top of the baffle is just above the top of the cyl. heads and the plastic plemun is overlaping the metal by 3/4" and fastened by screws all around. the plastic top can be removed easily to check the plugs and wires while the metal baffle stays put.

Old 07-15-2006, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

So, the glass is attached to the aluminum and that is touching the cylinder fins, sooooooooo, altho not touching, they are exposed to the same heat.
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 07-15-2006, 09:39 AM

Default Velocity cooling plenum

The standard velocity cooling plenum is of all glass construction, and is attached directly to the tops of the cylinders. I'm not sure how thick it is because it's a standard kit (engine install kit) part, but I'd say it's 2 or 3. Here are a few pics, more at my site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	2556  Click image for larger version

Name:	EGT_Probe.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	2557  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plenum_Sparkplug_Covers_2.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	2558  
Old 07-15-2006, 09:34 PM
EVOLUTION EZE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust
So, the glass is attached to the aluminum and that is touching the cylinder fins, sooooooooo, altho not touching, they are exposed to the same heat.
They are somewhat but when the engine is running the cyl. are 400 degrees or so and there is cooling air flowing which cools the alum. and when stopped the engine is in the 300 degree range and the alum. baffle is only 250 degrees and cools quickly.
The main advantage is that the top is easily removed without removing the ducting and the intire plenum. the alum stays put and sealed to the engine and just the top is removable for inspection

Old 07-19-2006, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Well, the conti i have has stepped fins, to get the shape i want for the cover would be much easier to make from glass,carbon or kevlar than aluminum.

i will install a flange for easy removal of the ducts to the cylinder wraps
dust