Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > FLYING INFO AND STORIES > Pre Canard Flying Flying Stories and Questions
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2006, 04:19 PM
builder wannabe

Default Cozy MkIV w/ EFIS For X-Plane V8.40

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?...wfile&fid=6092

Cozy MkIV w/ EFIS V8.40
Uploader: Todd Parker
Submitted: 08/05/2006
File Size: 6.5mb
File Ext: ZIP
File Type: application/zip
Views: 1068
Downloads: 309

"This is an udated version of my version 7 aircraft. Includes custom X-foil generated airfoils, Blue Mountain EFIS display, 360 degree interior views. This is a big file with the custom views and instruments. This is an IO-360 constant speed prop powered Cozy MkIV with Infinity retracts. If you prefer the Fixed main gear, simply delete gear 1&2 and set Gear 4&5 to "single" and turn off the gear doors for the mains."

nb. watch this file - it unpacks NOT into its own directory, but spews its contents everywhere, so make a directory first, then move it over to the /Aircraft/ folder.

Loads up fine - untested otherwise. Substantial testing to follow, ooh yeh..

S
Old 08-14-2006, 10:56 PM
builder wannabe

ok, I had a fly of this. it feels more responsive than the other Cozys, and I cant seem to stop squealing the tyres on landing. Rough ay.

It requires a very firm pull back to get it airborne. Quite unlike a cessna/piper et al. Rotation is quite sudden and its very easy to fly it back into the runway. Maybe my trim is wrong.

Its quite pleasant having the CSU. 18" 1500rpm = S&L 120TAS @3000ft and its sooo quiet. I bet its super economical leaned LOP. Tis quite noisy going full fine on final.

I dont like this EFIS and I hope its not a true representation of the real thing.. The EFIS on the Pawan is far better.

I havent figured out the autopilot yet.

Its curious having the retracts, but the numbers arent enormous.

Large bootfuls of yaw result in large predictable yaw, with no tendancy to flip inside-out. (other sim canards did this.)

The wheelbrakes on the joystick yaw controls actually work. The other Cozys dont, so I can taxi now.

S
Old 08-15-2006, 04:21 AM

where do i get the x plane to put the file in to ?
Old 08-15-2006, 04:45 AM
builder wannabe

google for "x-plane download" and you will have it in two seconds, unless you are on dialup, then you will have it in four seconds.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:47 AM

http://www.x-plane.com

Windows, Linux and Mac versions are available.
Demo version for download, and the full version is rather inexpensive.
Can be bought directly from Laminar research (I did that).
--- Plans #000 at concepting stage ---
JAA-PPL(A) with NF & RT/E, UPL. WT9-Dynamic, TL-96 Star, Zephyr 2000, C152, C172 (& waiting the crashed diesel planes to get fixed )
Old 08-15-2006, 07:09 AM
slightly crazy

IMHO not as "bubblypretty" as MS Flight Sim, but ALOT better in every other way, is what I think of it

i love it, cant wait for x-plane 9 to arrive
Old 08-15-2006, 11:26 AM

The best thing is that it is improving all the time and besides of that the main difference between these two is that
- MS Flight sim is more like a game
- X-plane is less like a game

Currently X-plane's scenery looks better than MS flight Sim 2004's, but the problem is that there is no scenery for Finland for X-plane.
But still I couldn't run MSFS anyway since I don't currently own any recent license of Windows (my last one is Windows NT 4.0) since I am using exclusively Linux.
--- Plans #000 at concepting stage ---
JAA-PPL(A) with NF & RT/E, UPL. WT9-Dynamic, TL-96 Star, Zephyr 2000, C152, C172 (& waiting the crashed diesel planes to get fixed )
Old 09-15-2006, 11:41 AM

I have to disagree. I have both FS2004 and xPlane 8.40 and I like FS better for scenery. I usually fly out of KAPA in Denver and FS has much more accurate scenery for this area (Front Range Rocky Mountains and Downtown Denver). Heck, the even managed to model all of the odd shapes of the skyscrapers in downtown Denver. I also find the flight dynamics on alot of the better modeled airframes to be superior to xplane as well. It just feels more realistic to me.

I really wan't it to improve so I can ditch the PC I keep around to fly FS2004 on and just fly xPlane on my Mac.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:08 PM
builder wannabe

X-Plane is made by a good 'ol bunch of guys who dont make it their business to try change your religion. I dont like the feel of billys' finger in my *ss so I wont have his products on my property, except where I am forced to.. wheres that finger-in-*ss 'smiley(sic) gone..

So my business goes their way - its about the principle of it. I'm very principled these days

Linux + X-Plane = Free World = Feels much much nicer now thank you kindly. Celebrate that you can choose.

S
Old 09-15-2006, 05:55 PM

Hi!
I"ve looked into X plane and am wondering if it is a good tool for designing a plane. I'm ready to buy but need more info from someone who uses it. Does it take much to learn it and can you design almost anything with it??? Does it tell you what is wrong with it when you fly it so you can correct it?
Thanks all!!!
Old 09-15-2006, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum
I"ve looked into X plane and am wondering if it is a good tool for designing a plane.
Nope. It's a reasonable tool for simulating flight of a plane in normal attitudes and conditions, but it's NOT an aircraft design tool.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:18 PM

"Nope. It's a reasonable tool for simulating flight of a plane in normal attitudes and conditions, but it's NOT an aircraft design tool."

Do you know of one thats available?
Thanks
Tom
Old 09-16-2006, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Do you know of one thats available?
Yup. Lots of reading of aircraft design books so that you understand what's involved with designing an aircraft.

No piece of software will ever take the place of knowledge, and no matter how wonderful any piece of software is, it's useless in the hands of someone that doesn't understand what it's doing or why.

Read every aircraft design handbook you can get your hands on, from the library, from the EAA list, from the back of Sport Aviation/Kitplanes, etc. Once you understand them, then you can start asking about software packages to ASSIST in the design process (of which there are also numerous ones advertised).
Old 09-17-2006, 10:48 AM
Just Building/Saving

Quote:
Hi!
I"ve looked into X plane and am wondering if it is a good tool for designing a plane. I'm ready to buy but need more info from someone who uses it. Does it take much to learn it and can you design almost anything with it??? Does it tell you what is wrong with it when you fly it so you can correct it?
Thanks all!!!
I am well into the process of designing an airplane myself. I have used x-plane to help validate my design concept, but I did a LOT of design work first with nothing more than a calculator, graph paper, and lots of formulas.

To get started, I recommend Simplified Airfraft Design for Homebuilders by Dan Raymer. It will give you a very solid start, but several other books on the specific method of construction, aerodynamics, airfoil selection, and a very thorough understanding of flight dynamics, stability, the concept of weight and balance, CG (and CL, esspecially for a canard), and many more things that I won't list here.

I am an A&P mechanic and have spent the last two years studying, building a library of informational and reference material, and working on my design.

As far as X-Plane, like I said above, it's useful for validating your design. It is not a tool for helping to create the design though. Get that done on paper or CAD first, then transfer your results into X-Plane. If it flies how you expected on the first try, you did it right.

X-Plane Plane Builder is not too difficult to learn, took me an hour or two. When you design your plane on paper around a Datum, Centerline, and Waterline, you already have all the station numbers needed to make a quick and dirty model in X-plane and see if it flies. Even better if you already know all the little specs for your engine(s). For $50, it's worth the money to play around flying your design until you have the chance to build it and fly the real thing.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about x-plane or designing a plane in general. I can point you to many good resources.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:12 AM

Actually, a couple of aircraft companies have used X-Plane. Carter Copter, for example, used X-Plane to rapid prototype some design ideas. Also, a company in Mojave used it too. You may be familiar with them, Scaled Composites. They used it during the SpaceShipOne dev cycle.

Edit: Of the above examples, only the Carter Copter one was meant to describe a company using it for design, I was distracted when I typed it and it didn't quite come out right. But Carter Copter did use it as a cheap virtual wind-tunnel.