Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > FLYING INFO AND STORIES > Pre Canard Flying Flying Stories and Questions
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2006, 01:26 AM
LongEZ wannabe since 1982

Default 149 days...

45 sessions,
58.1 hours,
159 landings,

1 private pilot certificate.

(1 dancing banana )

73 total flight hours and counting -- now licensed to get myself into trouble, er, I mean, licensed to learn!
Old 09-10-2006, 01:33 AM
Determined Builder 98+18%

Congrats on the "License to Learn"

And there's always the huge thrill of being one of the very few not constrained to the ground!

After 350 hours, I'm still learning a lot!

/dan
Old 09-10-2006, 01:45 AM
builder wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstrom
1 private pilot certificate.
see, wasnt a big thing, was it?

Congrats.

S
Old 09-10-2006, 08:09 AM
It's all Greek to me

Congratulations!!!
I'm so happy for you.
Kumaros
It's all Greek to me
Old 09-10-2006, 02:39 PM

Old 09-10-2006, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

ten dancing bananas and a thumbs up
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 09-10-2006, 04:08 PM

High-five
Old 09-10-2006, 06:39 PM
The MissAdventures Cont'd

Eeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaa! Congratulations!
...Chrissi & Randi

CG Products
www.CozyGirrrl.com - all new pages
Cozy Mk-IV RG RX Turbo
Old 09-10-2006, 07:06 PM
w/ Spinner and Paddlefoot

Default Whew!

I never doubted you for a minute! Now the real fun and the real learning begins! Ditto et al.

PS. It'll take a while for the swelling to go down .
Plans #618, a tub, and everything I need to go to chapter 11 except: TIME! and a cold beer

"I'll do the "thinnin'" around here, Bobba Looey" ! - Quicksdraw McGraw
Old 09-10-2006, 07:44 PM

Congrats!! How about a quick report on the checkride?

Did you have to demonstrate the short field that concerned you?
Old 09-10-2006, 11:43 PM
A builder at last.

That means I'm no longer the newest pilot on the forum!

Serously, A huge congratulation from one new pilot to another!!!!!
As pilots now, let try to leave the bounces to the smily faces.

P.S. Still waiting for my permenent certificate.
Celebrating four years of NOT building.

You are buildin a dam airplane from scratch and you do not know what you are doin!!!! - Dust

-Inspired by Burt, designed by Nat, built by me. (Hopefully)

www.Cozy1200.com - just pics and misc ramblings
Old 09-11-2006, 12:00 AM
LongEZ wannabe since 1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remi Khu
Congrats!! How about a quick report on the checkride?
Did you have to demonstrate the short field that concerned you?
I'm sure this will be like 2nd-grade math to y'all, but since you asked...
think back to your youth and reminisce along with me...

I knew from Thursday that I would just be going over a final few things with my instructor and then hopefully setting up the checkride sometime this weekend.
There was another guy, Jim, that beat me to the punch and set up something with the examiner for Saturday. That was just fine with me, since Sat's weather was looking REAL iffy, but we discussed that if the weather was unflyable, I could at least come in after Jim and get my oral out of the way.

And indeed, the weather looked pretty bad Sat morning, but was expected to mostly clear up by the afternoon, so I was thinking, well, it'll be a long day between Jim and myself, getting the orals and the practicals done.

But when I came in at about 10:30, Jim was outside having a smoke and looking pretty broken up... I guess he busted the orals fairly badly. This made me worried, which I hadn't at all been so far, for a couple of reasons: (1) look, if I don't know it by now, what the hell have I been doing? this is all just a chance to show what I know, right? no biggie... (2) my friend Ed said I should repeat to myself, "I am a f***** GENIUS... I am a f***** GENIUS...". it WAS actually calming me down quite effectively when I was wide awake at 4am.

So I went in to do the orals... and it was a CAKEWALK. I don't get it... how could Jim have blown it? (answer... he himself said he's not the best at studying... and I've been doing nothing but, for weeks now...)

In what seemed like no time flat, the examiner was suggesting we break for lunch and check the weather... "huh? that's it? it's over?"

walked over to the airport restaurant and grabbed a $350 burger (the examiner's fee) and chatted about his recollections of what it was like to run the FBO in Ephrata, WA for a dozen or so years. (happens to be where my wife grew up -- I met this guy's son a couple months ago at her 20-year high school reunion.)

by then the weather was breaking up just enough to go flying -- still pretty sketchy though, so I got something of a realtime education in just how much scudrunning you can do and still be legal: are we class G, are we class E, are we over a congested area, etc... not that I ever want to repeat this exercise in real life.

he's really big on checking up on your pilotage skills, and the semi-scudrunning was a prime opportunity, since by no means could we accurately track my carefully prepared cross-country flight plan. We had to skip one checkpoint entirely, diverted from our course several times to avoid clouds, and he's constantly giving me, "where are we now?"
well, we've got a ridge over there... a major powerline that makes a 90-deg bend right there... a highway over there... that puts us near Gold Bar, if I'm not mistaken... right answer.

turned back and started on our maneuvers... my stalls were decent... my steep turns were within tolerances (barely), but acceptable since apparently it is a common mistake to lose altitude when you don't have a far horizon... turns around a point just peachy... my simulated engine-out approaches went entirely too long, AGAIN, despite all my practice -- I simply underestimate how good of a glider the airplane is, and always overshoot... then we headed back in for some T&G's.

did a soft-field T&G, which was just fine.
then the dreaded short-field...
normally, it's a pretty good landing when you can get off the runway at Golf-4.
I was a bit slow over the imaginary 50-ft tree growing out of the numbers, had quite a hefty sink rate in that last 50 ft, landed quite "firm" (the examiner's words), and had some fishtailing going on in the flare and on touchdown. Yet, as he pointed out later, I landed safely, landed short, didn't break anything, and still managed to get off at Golf-4 even with the tree at the numbers... cool!

But I was rather disappointed at my performance on a couple of those items and thought I had busted the exam... but he said he wasn't looking for total perfection, just that I flew safe and flew knowledgeably. And there I'll agree... I have been studying hard, and above all, trying to learn how to be safe.

He and I had a long discussion about short-field technique afterward, which was quite enlightening. In his long experience as an instructor and examiner, the "chop & drop" technique, or its lesser cousin that the Cessna POH espouses -- gradually chop, gradually push the nose down to keep your speed up -- is invariably done wrong by the newbie pilot (slow to begin with, and either doesn't push the nose down enough or pushes down too much), and especially during checkrides when one is nervous.
You need that recommended 62kts at flare in order to have enough dynamic "voom" to arrest the sink rate and get your flight path leveled out so that you don't hit hard, so unless you're able to judge the fine nuances of the maneuver, it's better to either ride your stabilized approach all the way to ground effect, or to come in 5-10kt hot so that when you yank the power you'll slow to the recommended speed regardless of whether you push the nose down enough.
I performed it acceptably (barely), and learned something valuable from someone who's seen the same common mistakes hundreds of times.

This morning the weather was much, MUCH better, and I exercised the rights of my newfound piece of paper and took my wife up for a brief tour up the valley of US 2 and Stevens Pass -- spectacular (and I mean SPECTACULAR) views of the local steep/craggy/glacially-carved mountains, and Mt. Baker off to the north, Mt. Rainier off to the south, and in the far distance, Mt. St. Helens.
Stunning. Brilliant. And for once, all fun, instead of work work work work work.

73 total flight hours and counting -- now licensed to get myself into trouble, er, I mean, licensed to learn!
Old 09-11-2006, 02:33 AM
ChasingMars

Wonderful! Congratulations!

I'm facing this same challenge in a month or two, and your account was both informative and reassuring! Oh, and a reminder that I need to study more!
Old 09-11-2006, 01:30 PM
Cozy MK-IV 65% done

congratulations from Montréal, Québec, Canada

Dan & Marc
Old 09-11-2006, 02:33 PM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

Congrats!

My instructor told me a month ago that he has talked to the examiner that is going to do my checkride and he is going to do both my single and multi PPL in the same day. Then a week or two after he expects me to do my instrument ride I had to go change my pants when he said that to me and it still kinda freaks me out to think about.