Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Finishes and Finishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2006, 01:00 AM
It's all Greek to me

Default Pull-out tablet, notebook, cup-holders

I was watching a documentary the other day about the evolution of aviation instrument panels over the years. One thing that caught my attention: the pull-out tablet in the Airbus instrument panel, just right for a snack and a cup of your favorite beverage, or a place to lay down your sectionals, or as a notebook with back-up instruments and a moving map display.
I'm reserving the center of my instrument panel for such a slot.
Six-pack on the left, radios and transponders on the right, tablet/tablet-PC/notebook front and center.
Kumaros
It's all Greek to me
Old 10-07-2006, 06:38 AM
Buly

I believe Mark zeitlin made one already for the passenger side
Old 10-07-2006, 07:36 AM
It's all Greek to me

Then I'll be in good company, I didn't know that; thank you Buly.
I believe a notebook / sub-notebook has a definite place in the middle of the instrument panel, where there's ample room for unfolding.
Kumaros
It's all Greek to me
Old 10-07-2006, 11:15 AM
MarkIV N513DP Cozy540Xtra

Ku- That was a six pack of tomato juice right?!
Old 10-07-2006, 11:38 AM
It's all Greek to me

Nah, just the standard six-pack of instruments.
Of course, since my first couple of years will be confined to flying within Greek borders strictly VFR, what do I need instruments for? To hell with it, Dennis pass me that Bud six-pack will you?
Kumaros
It's all Greek to me
Old 10-07-2006, 02:01 PM
builder wannabe

I think an onboard computer goes without saying. There is way too much interesting stuff happening on computers, to not put one in a plane. So I wont need a pocket to put my one in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumaros View Post
what do I need instruments for?
You dont need all the IFR stuff, or half of the VFR stuff, but in NZ you must be able to tell how fast you going, how high you are, and how long you have been airborne for. I think life without the VSI would be hard also - maybe your ASI will do ok for that. But if you are going to test fly it yourself, you will need to instrument it properly.

S

Last edited by SteveWrightNZ : 10-07-2006 at 02:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-07-2006, 03:39 PM

Funny how these considerations come up routinely on the forum, or should I say that thing I am considering often are discussed here. As I have mentioned, I am installing a 7 inch Lilliput touchscreen monitor and plan to use Anywhere Map GPS software to suppliment our KLN-89B GPS. I really like the Anywhere Map software.

One issue has been where to mount the notebook. I have considered a pullout tray under the passanger side IP. The notebook I have, even though I may eventually choose another one, is kinda big...but the real pain is the "on" button is inside the clamshell, so I have to be able to open it up to power it up. The tray may be the best idea. I may still replace the one I have. I do not need extreme power.....I think I will be golden at around 1 mhz....maybe a bit less or a bit more. We have the screen position monted in the IP already, but I am debating where to put the computer. The tray may be the way to go.

All the best,

Chris
Old 10-07-2006, 03:49 PM
slightly crazy

I guess you'll have a hard time finding a 1 mhz processor these days
Old 10-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Buly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBarber View Post
Funny how these considerations come up routinely on the forum, or should I say that thing I am considering often are discussed here. As I have mentioned, I am installing a 7 inch Lilliput touchscreen monitor and plan to use Anywhere Map GPS software to suppliment our KLN-89B GPS. I really like the Anywhere Map software.

One issue has been where to mount the notebook. I have considered a pullout tray under the passanger side IP. The notebook I have, even though I may eventually choose another one, is kinda big...but the real pain is the "on" button is inside the clamshell, so I have to be able to open it up to power it up. The tray may be the best idea. I may still replace the one I have. I do not need extreme power.....I think I will be golden at around 1 mhz....maybe a bit less or a bit more. We have the screen position monted in the IP already, but I am debating where to put the computer. The tray may be the way to go.

All the best,

Chris
Chris, I assume you know that computer hard drives are starting to fail around 10,000 ft MSL altitude?
Old 10-07-2006, 04:57 PM
w/ Spinner and Paddlefoot

Default in a galaxy far far away...

I had originally thought I would want a computer screen like the one Chris is describing, but, input mechanics were difficult at best. Mouse? Touchscreen? Pretty hard to handle whilist flying during the times when it's bumpy etc. I tried different things and came up with a track ball mounted behind the throttle quadrant where there is a rest for the back part of the hand.
As far as the air bearings in a hard drive: Soon we'll be looking at solid state hard drives, or you can mount them vertically, or try the newer Seagate high RPM drives.
Plans #618, a tub, and everything I need to go to chapter 11 except: TIME! and a cold beer

"I'll do the "thinnin'" around here, Bobba Looey" ! - Quicksdraw McGraw
Old 10-07-2006, 06:00 PM

Yeah, I am aware of the potential HD problem. I think it is overblown, however, I have a solid state hardware solution as well, an 8 gig drive. With some newer systems, you can actually boot and operate with a flash memory card.

I pondered the input issue and the trackball was a strong contender. I think I will be going with a remote touchpad mounted behind my center console throttle quadrant. I don't really mind the touchscreen either. I flown the Anywhere Map on a PDA and even with the small screen, it was not bad in real life use (but this experience is on with moderate turbulance). The touchscreen is withing easy reach. It is not symetrically located, but it is the same size as my larger Dynon.

I got my current 1.2 mzh off ebay for around $250.00. Nice IBM, must have been top of the line a few short years ago. It is a bit larger than I would like and it is almost too nice to use in the plane. My current notebook at the house is only an old 500 mhz unit (Toughbook)....but since most of my use it surfing the net, that it not much of an issue. I may have access to a very small older Sony Vio subnotebook in the near future that may suit my needs. It is only 700 mhz. If that works ok to start, the IBM may be my new home surfing companion.

I am currently running AnywherMap XP on the 500 mhz in sim mode with no problems, so we will have to see. One of the things I really like about the touchscreen monitor in my IP is that I can upgrade notebook systems independantly of the monitor as the need/budget/hareware curve warrants it. The moving map software is sweeeeet and, IMHO, enhances the standard VOR and older GPS greatly.

All the best,

Chris
Old 10-07-2006, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buly View Post
I believe Mark zeitlin made one already for the passenger side
Not me.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:45 AM
Rotary Powered Velocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buly View Post
Chris, I assume you know that computer hard drives are starting to fail around 10,000 ft MSL altitude?
Not the solid state flash ones... (yes.,. we know.. the air cushion the "regular" hard drives use while spinning the disk loose effectiveness at altitude).. flash drives are fairly small in capacity.. but we are not running a lot.. Anywhere map, adobe reader (maybe) and perhaps some sort of office reader. Bare bones is anywhere map, and anything else can be run off thumb drives. I plan on having all the aircraft maintenance docs/specs available on thumbdrive for away-from-home contingencies.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:26 AM
builder wannabe

Knoppix will boot completely from CD/DVDROM - no HDD involved. Not too hard to customize it for your own use.

Embedded Debian et al will boot from compact flash to a very nice Desktop.

VIA EPIA computers draw about 1.2-2 amps, depending on their ancilliaries and run about 1.3GHz. Their form factor is quite small. Lots and lots of automotive car computer stuff available.

S
Old 10-09-2006, 10:21 AM

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/09/...ve_obsoletism/

32Gb Flash Memory Hard Drive from Samsung