Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Instuments / Avionics / Electrical System
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2007, 02:11 PM

Default Glass Cockpit, Garmin 1000

Hi,

Last Saturday I had the pleasure of doing my annual IR checkout in a Diamond DA40 (The usual Pipers were taken, I got to fly this one for a "special prize")

I loved the entire AC but thats in no way related to Canards exept maybe for letting you know that I also loved the FADEC diesel engine

Onto the topic:

My instructor knowing I'm a computer geek, agreed to go flying first and take the teory later (It was in a way a test to se how someone not properly educated could fly a glass cockpit). Now I must admit that I have played with the Garmin 1000 in the FSX version and also spent an hour in the downloadable trainer from Garmin.

Now I'm not exxagerating when I state that it took me less than five minutes to become more familiar flying behind the G1000 than behind the 6-pack+ADF/ILS . Sure I did fuble with what knob to turn to adjust heading and so on, but actually no more than when sitting in an AC with non-King radios.

So... When I finally come around to building an AC there is no way I will build it with a sixpack...

We are all different so you may feel different about it but I would definetly recommend everyone to try flying behind glass before deciding!

The only problem we had (Or that my instructor had) was that you have so many hints of your groundtrack that it is near impossible to test ones capabilities/teach out proper windcorrection without turning just about everything off
Old 01-29-2007, 03:39 PM
MarkIV N513DP Cozy540Xtra

You and me, Brother, You and me. I am right with you...on that glass schweeetness .
Old 01-29-2007, 04:27 PM
ChasingMars

Apropos to this... I've got an instrument panel question for those far enough along to have fitted the canopy...

This relates to the Cozy IV:
How important is it to follow the plans top profile curve of the instrument panel? I ask because I'm considering using something like the EFIS/Sport (i.e. a "portrait" oriented screen) centred on each pilot, and that particular implimentation is taller than would fit in the part of the panel directly in front of the front seats;

basically, I'm wondering if I can carry the widen the higher area in the centre so that it extends out to about 25 or 26 inches wide instead of the plans 14.5" wide, and lower that whole raised area by 1/2-3/4" - then rejoin the plans profile outboard of this?

Thanks,
Cozy IV Plans #1457 - Building Chapter Six!
http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/chasingmars/index.html
Old 01-29-2007, 05:18 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

The canopy tapers at the front. Its about 15 inches wide at the point where the IP crosses it. The bit in the middle sticks up into the canopy area. (that's why it always hits the floor when you lay the fuse upside down). The shape of the IP just fits the canopy with 1/2 inch to spare either side.

Of course, at the risk of getting into a "modification" you could change the canopy - Buly's is much wider and would allow for more height in the IP. I'd have thought that there's more than enough room for a glass cockpit if you do without all the steam gauges.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:56 PM

You may want to check out the CozyGirrrls website. They fit 2 BMA EFIS One displays on the panel, and those are larger than the EFIS Sport... ass-u-ming you meant BMA EFIS Sport and not some other brand.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:25 PM
ChasingMars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarbleTurtle View Post
You may want to check out the CozyGirrrls website. They fit 2 BMA EFIS One displays on the panel, and those are larger than the EFIS Sport... ass-u-ming you meant BMA EFIS Sport and not some other brand.
Unfortunately while larger, they aren't taller - the sports are taller - I rather like the idea of a three display panel, portrait in the middle for map or whatever (possible driven off a non-critical computer running a commercial OS), and the dedicated two displays, then use the space on the side for radios (left) and breakers (right)... or something along those lines.

Thanks for the input on the panel taper - question, if I build the panel oversize now, is it realistic to trim it to shape when it comes time to do the canopy (allowing me to put off the question of whether to do an alternate canopy)?
Cozy IV Plans #1457 - Building Chapter Six!
http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/chasingmars/index.html
Old 01-29-2007, 10:42 PM

you trim the canopy to plans, and there is lots cut off. if i had raised the canopy 1" up from plans then cut it, i would have over 2" side to side.
me thinks you build the canopy with the 1" higher then redo the ip to fit the opening