Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Instuments / Avionics / Electrical System
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2007, 07:13 PM

Default TIS - Traffic Information Service

I had a chance to fly up front in a King Air yesterday. It had a Garmin 330 transponder with traffic information service showing positions, altitudes, and direction of other traffic on the MX20 display. Cool! What wasn't cool was neither the pilot nor I could FIND any of these planes until they got past our 9 and 3 o'clock positions. It was comforting seeing them on the display. Is the 330 worth the extra bucks? Yep!
Wayne Hicks, Cozy Plans #678
http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages...cks/index.html
Old 02-25-2007, 08:04 PM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Hicks View Post
Is the 330 worth the extra bucks?
Nope. It isnt. The GTX-330 is a Mode-S transponder. Mode-S has been/is being phased out in favor of ADS-B in the US. Just a thought.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:18 PM
MarkIV N513DP Cozy540Xtra

Go to the Garmin site and see for yourself. I was pleasantly surprised. The majority of my traveling [west coast] will be in covered space for a longggggggg time yet.
Most very 'populated' locations don't get phased 'out' of Mode S until 8 to 12 to 15 years from now if my memory is right...I looked about a month ago.
Interesting report on your experience. What was your Vis?
I had planned on getting one even if it Mode S was serviceable for a few years. So I checked to see what the fuss was about regarding the phase out. Rubbish! Buy one for safety sake if your frequent the covered areas.... It beats the cost of a 10grand Ryan!
I have thought that Mode S wouldn't substitute for good observation diligence, but just maybe help catch a couple that a guy missed...so that is interesting that it was that useful.
Sounds like a very good tool to be aware of transponder'd aircraft.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:26 AM

What's your life worth? I had a very, very near miss once and the extra bucks are well worth the investment to me. The phase-out of mode S is many, many years down the line. I'll get plenty of use out of the the GTX 330 TIS by then. The King Air flight was from Newport News, VA to Burlington, SC. CAVU conditions. When we finally locked eyes-on-target, the aircraft was right where TIS said it was. We had TIS coverage the entire flight. Again, I was impressed.

I'm horrible at spotting other aircraft in flight. I used to think it was just me. The more I fly with other pilots, I notice they aren't any better at it than I am. If $2500 can keep me from hitting another aircraft, I'll gladly spend it for peace of mind.
Wayne Hicks, Cozy Plans #678
http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages...cks/index.html

Last edited by Wayne Hicks : 02-26-2007 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:05 PM
Donald James Rise Jr

Default TIS

I have a GTX 330 displayed on a 530 in my Baron. It gives you a good feeling to locate traffic before ATC tells you about it.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Hicks View Post
I'm horrible at spotting other aircraft in flight.
I thought the same thing when a student pilot. My instructor said, "Don't worry about it too much, the traffic usually gets bigger and easier to see the closer it gets." Comforting...

A couple years ago a friend and I were out doing some instrument training, I was safety pilot. I looked in the cockpit for a short amount of time to see how my friend was doing. When I looked outside there was a Mooney in the opposite direction, approx. 200' above and about 5 seconds or less away. My instructor was right, they do get bigger the closer they get. I don't think they ever saw us.

I'll take TIS in the cockpit without hesitation.

aerocanard.kal-soft.com
Old 02-26-2007, 05:57 PM
Epoxy Fingerprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFernandez View Post
I thought the same thing when a student pilot. My instructor said, "Don't worry about it too much, the traffic usually gets bigger and easier to see the closer it gets." Comforting...

A couple years ago a friend and I were out doing some instrument training, I was safety pilot. I looked in the cockpit for a short amount of time to see how my friend was doing. When I looked outside there was a Mooney in the opposite direction, approx. 200' above and about 5 seconds or less away. My instructor was right, they do get bigger the closer they get. I don't think they ever saw us.

I'll take TIS in the cockpit without hesitation.
Having done almost all of my flying in and around the Los Angeles basin, anything that can help you spot traffic is a blessing. There are some areas around her that are mid-air collisions just waiting to happen. (Such as along the 91 freeway between Orange County and Corona/Chino areas and anywhere offshore in the vicinity of the Seal Beach VOR).

Some years back, when I was up with an instructor, we had a Gulfsream of some sort woosh past us with very little clearance. This was with ATC flight following/traffic advisories at the time. Another time, (no suprises here) ATC cleared us to intersect (with a 500' vertical separation) the path of a FedEx jet departing Ontario airport. This was early in my flying days, and I can remember seeing the faces of the pilots.

I have been IFR in IMC and on the proper IFR clearance when ATC told me to report traffic in sight. When I report IMC, I was told to deviate immediately. That is scary.
Cozy Mark IV #1353 builder (weekends); Semiconductor Field Applications Enginer (weekdays).
Current status as of April '07:
*Chapter 4, 5 - completed
*Chapter 6 - in progres, fuselage assembled without a bottom, step 1 completed.

Continuing to make progress every weekend.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:20 PM
MarkIV N513DP Cozy540Xtra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddillon View Post
Having done almost all of my flying in and around the Los Angeles basin, anything that can help you spot traffic is a blessing.

Some years back, when I was up with an instructor, we had a Gulfsream of some sort woosh past us with very little clearance. This was with ATC flight following/traffic advisories at the time. Another time, (no suprises here) ATC cleared us to intersect (with a 500' vertical separation) the path of a FedEx jet departing Ontario airport. This was early in my flying days, and I can remember seeing the faces of the pilots.

I have been IFR in IMC and on the proper IFR clearance when ATC told me to report traffic in sight. When I report IMC, I was told to deviate immediately. That is scary.
And for the described, FAA supported, wonderfully professional tower services, we are going to be charged a boatload of fees and taxes..in the near future if we don't try to support lobbying efforts to hamper them. Heck, just flying through a class B airspace, or landing will cost you money....EU flying parameters and costs to be airborne are on the horizon.
Since the collective, rather than the singular voice, is available to us in the form of the AOPA...I would suggest anybody who values GA, join immediately and support the effort. I just got my magazine last night and they have a large article of what is proposed, the process, and some of their strategy. My next to last email from them described them calling on ALL of the members to GO and MEET with their representative and hand them personally a letter- all of us at the SAME time frame in the near future....to voice our concerns and dissatisfaction. FORGET emails, they say.[only read by staffers] Just writing a letter is okayyy, but if at all possibly, as a BODY at the right time...the personal meeting and letter- will make the most mileage out of your individual opposition. Things like this, are what they are DOING, and everybody should support that effort.
Since most of us 'homebuilder]types are trying to fly more frugally...I would hope that trying to mitigate the future, as the airlines and FAA are conceiving it...is on the top of our list of concerns.
If you don't join the fight...ya got no right to complain about anything that happens to the future of GA, with the fees and taxes...cuz you didn't support the best effort to try to do something about it.
Please don't wax on about the EAA, and what they might be doing...They've got the well-to-do Warbirds flyerz on one hand to support them, and on the other hand, they've got the new LSA's and flying-lawnchair crowd to turn towards as membership.
We/us, that are flying the high performance craft that will suffer the greatest in terms of falloff. Do something. Join the AOPA. In my opinion, they've got a 450,000 member 'stick' that they are readying, and they are'nt afraid to use it.

I think I am gulty of hijacking the thread, sorry.....