Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > New Member Introductions
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2007, 06:35 PM

Default Greetings to all!

First I want to thank Dust for getting me hooked up so that I can now post. I must have missed my activation e-mail.

I have been an aviation enthusiast for as long as I can remember. You know how it is... everytime you hear a plane, you find yourself looking up to see what kind it is?
In about 1993 I had my ground school completed and close to 50 hours of flight time. I then got side tracked when I caught the racing bug and never finished my pilots license. I know... Stupid, stupid stupid!!!!!
Currently still racing, although I am thinking more and more of making a major hobby change with in the next two years. I have a rather large garage that is unfortunately filled with "projects". Look up the word Packrat in the dictionary and you will see my picture!! Its time for the projects to go.

My brother seems very interested in becoming a partner in this endeavor.
We have not yet decided on which aircraft to build. I like the Aerocanard/ Cozy but have concerns about weight and how tight the seating will be. I am 5'11'',225lbs with a 36" waist and 34" inseam. My brother is 6' , 220lbs with about the same leg length. I read that there is a 400 pound front seat limit. Is this structural or for CG? Looks like a few builders a currrently building wider to solve a bit of the fit problem. Maybe we will get the chance to sit in one to see if there is a size problem.

I have really enjoyed reading through many of the web sites of builders in this forum. I commend those who have finished their builds and encourage those still in the trenches.

Jeffrey Wellum D.C.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:44 PM
A builder at last.

If you live in Terre Haute, you should really think about visiting the Cozygirrls down in St Louis. As you know it's not a bad drive at all down there.
Celebrating four years of NOT building.

You are buildin a dam airplane from scratch and you do not know what you are doin!!!! - Dust

-Inspired by Burt, designed by Nat, built by me. (Hopefully)

www.Cozy1200.com - just pics and misc ramblings
Old 05-02-2007, 09:25 PM

Jeffrey,

If you are interested in the Cozy make a point to go to Rough River this year. Lots of great people will be there. Chances are excellent that you will be able to sit in one to see how it fits you. Chances are good that you'll even get a ride. I went for the first time last year and had a great time.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:01 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Welcome!
To answer the weight question - yes with both on board in the front you'd be at (or just past) the forward end of the envelope in a stock Cozy. Some might disagree with this but I'd say it's more of a C of G issue than a limit. A heavier engine or other adjustment (like putting batteries in the back or lengthening the rear fuselage a couple of inches) to put the C of G back in range might raise your minimum solo weight - (ie I couldnt fly it solo at 160#) but otherwise wouldnt cause much of a problem. You might end up with slightly less useful load and slightly higher landing speed.

Marc Zeitlin has a weight and balance spreadsheet on his website that you might find useful. You could do what if scenarios with it to see what weight changes would be needed and what the impact would be on minimum and useful load limits, fuel load etc.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

I think you can work out the CG limits and for size, there are a few wider cozies flyin
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world