Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Finishes and Finishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2007, 06:29 PM

Default VE Paint scheme - Black on bottom

Hi All -

This is my first post to this forum. Attached FYI is a picture of my VE fuselage, with space shuttle-esqe paint scheme. Also uploaded is the planned final paint scheme. I applied black judiciously below the overhead-sun waterline. We've had first engine start, and wiring is complete. After we paint the wings, canopy, canard and cowl, we'll start taxi tests. Alternator/starter & basic VFR panel for now.

Regards,

SPG1
Arlington, Tx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	3702  Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	3703  Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	3704  
Old 05-17-2007, 09:37 PM
Cozy dreamer

That's gutsy. I wouldn't do it, but I like it.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:02 PM

i will spot you at RR next year
Old 05-17-2007, 10:09 PM
Don P-Factor

Ditto, I love it.
Shouldn't be a problem on the cowl, but I probably would set up a test fixture for addressing radiating heat into the lower sections prior to exposure on the tarmac.
Shuttle Tech previously, now Quality staff at Pad 39B.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:57 AM

Nice! I picked something similar for my Cozy. Instead of black, I went with grey to alleviate the heat issues a bit, plus MGS-285.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:58 AM
slightly crazy

kinda cool but you REALLY need a parachute after landing on a design like this that would make it simply marvellous on fly ins just a little problem with the pusher prop *laughing*
Old 05-18-2007, 08:22 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Quote:
just a little problem with the pusher prop
No problem. Build it into the spinner.

Its just my opinion but, unless you do a lot of sustained inverted flight, I can't see why black would be a problem in most of the areas shown for these planes. Mine is a deep purple underneath.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:26 AM
LongEZ-RG

Don't fly upside down for to long, and don't park the airplane upside down.

Waiter
Old 05-18-2007, 08:55 AM
G.Norman

That looks great SPG1! I'm surprised nobody's done that yet. Can't wait to see it.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Absolutely fanf'ntastic!
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 05-18-2007, 07:51 PM

Careful on the reentry, eh.
CozyMKIV plans #1550.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:20 AM

Default VE Shuttle Paint Scheme follow-up...

Hi Again -

FYI, I've planned some safeguards concerning my paint scheme...

- When parked on the ramp, my pitot tube cover will be a molded layup which --painted white -- will also cover up the top part of the black 'nose'.
- My fwd/top access panel is 100% black and will be 100% in the sun, as will the top cowl blisters. If/when those (non-structural) panels starts to de-lamiante, I'll know I'm flirting disaster elsewhere on my VE and will go from there.
- I may elect to make some custom, tightly fitted covers for the wing leading edges
- It's not evident in the prior picture I posted, but the winglet leading edges will be white, with black stripes a few inches aft of the leading edge so they are not in direct (overhead) sunlight. It'll give the illusion of a black leading edge, anyway.

FYI, last summer I did a temperture check using some old, 2- ft cut up wing sections, leaving them out in the sun for a few hours (no wind). Result: a 95 deg ambient temp gave me 110 F for a white paint, 151 deg for black. This was the surface temp. I didn't check the internal temp, which was probably a lot higher.

Regardless, I don't plan to *ever* leave my bird parked on the tarmac on a hot Texas day, except to get fuel or board passengers.

Sean Gillen
Arlington, Texas
Old 05-21-2007, 10:20 PM
MarkIV N513DP Cozy540Xtra

Quote:
Originally Posted by spg_76013 View Post
Hi Again -

FYI, I've planned some safeguards concerning my paint scheme...

Regardless, I don't plan to *ever* leave my bird parked on the tarmac on a hot Texas day, except to get fuel or board passengers.

Sean Gillen
Arlington, Texas
Sean,
An observation is that as soon as one says...."I don't plan to ever.."
There will be a sequence of events that will negate that plan and....
So do come up with a backup plan to the plan that you planned never having to use the afore mentioned plan of plans.

It's a groovy paint scheme....but would be a shame to have your bird wilt into the tarmac....and it would tarnish the fine Cozy name.
The RV guys will love you for providing them with yet another reason they think "rivets rule"..
Just an observation...
Old 05-22-2007, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spg_76013 View Post
Result: a 95 deg ambient temp gave me 110 F for a white paint, 151 deg for black. This was the surface temp. I didn't check the internal temp, which was probably a lot higher.

Howdy from a local, Sean. We're at T31 (Aero Country) if you're ever lost in the neighborhood.

FWIW, I think Bill Allen's G-WILY Long-EZ has a "black bottom" paint scheme these days that's much more radical than what you're doing. Or, at least he did at OSH in '05. I'll have to dig through my pics but I'm 96.2362% certain I snapped a few. He had a BUNCH of black wrapping up and over the cowl if my memory serves me.

I also recall seeing a small patch thermometer stuck to the side of his fuselage on the black stripes just below the waterline. Not sure what Bill's response to an overtemp would've been (... probably "OH, BLOODY HELL!!!") but I noticed that he didn't have his bird under cover on the OSH ramp. Perhaps his days of worrying about temps are no more. Granted, July in WI (or England) is a tad bit cooler than July in TX.

Out of curiosity, what epoxy are you using? Just wondering what you'll gain from a good post-cure.

D
Old 05-22-2007, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Eracer had the leading edge of his eracer painted dark purple, when he cut into it to replace the vert stab, he reported no problems found.

It be here somewhere
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world