Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Landing Gear, Wheels, Tires, and Brakes
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2007, 10:38 PM
MarkIV N513DP Cozy540Xtra

Default Re: Retract Users rolecall

Well.
The slant of this post was to flush out the retract users... or now since there is exactly 3of them that USE them- maybe we should ask who knows of somebody actually using them in a MArk IV?.
Lyn E.
R. Riley
Waiter.
All in other canards.
Hardly the tried and true application that one is led to believe.
The actual poll in the other thread makes it seem that retracts are soon to be overtaking the fixed ear group.
The only thing reinforced here[sorry] is that it takes about 3-5 years after your deposit to maybe et our Infinity retracts. I emailed JD a couple times, at the start of this thread, and haven't heard boo since. Maybe he is not up and about yet.
My friend is confused about how the retracts are what MANY say they are after [he says=-delusionally] yet not actually using. [His words]
Its pretty near vapor ware as to availability.
He is going to Osh to see whats available.
I say maybe thats a tough go.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Passey View Post
The slant of this post was to flush out the retract users... or now since there is exactly 3of them that USE them- maybe we should ask who knows of somebody actually using them in a MArk IV?
This forum is hardly a representative sample of either builders or flyers, as you well know. There ARE two or three - maybe more - flying COZY's (III's and IV's) or Aerocanards (which we can certainly consider as a COZY from a landing gear standpoint). Bill Oertel's "Stiletto", at Chino, is one, and is the one with which Lynn E. has experience.

There are two others (Marv Schuh and Jim Marshall) noted on the Infinity web site. Given the problems that Bill has had with his set, it's not surprising that Jim Newman isn't using him for advertising :-).
Old 06-19-2007, 11:07 PM
Got Foam?

Quote:
I emailed JD a couple times, at the start of this thread, and haven't heard boo since. Maybe he is not up and about yet.
I was talking with JD about 2 hours ago. Getting some prep tips on my gear install. Because I'm using his gear I wanted to take advantage of his suggestions about setting in conduit to run the hydraulics and electrical through the fuselage walls.

After all the "JD Bashing" you've done here Dennis, would you expect him to give you a second thought? I know you can elaborate on how justified you are in your opinion but are you really surprised he didn't answer your email? To say you were would be a hard sell here.

There are many more than 3 people flying retracts and many more building with retracts be they Infinity, Velocity, eRacer, Berkut ........
As Marc Z said in a post earlier this year (directed at me) participation in your poll is voluntary not mandatory.

There has been much discussion about various manufacturers of retractable gear...........but who is still in business? Yes, JD is slow, but for my money it's the best engineered solution currently on the market (unless you can name another that I am not aware of.)

It's nice to bring up the Drybread gear but we all know it's not an option.

I would not want to service this market by manufacturing anything. Why? Every manufacturer takes a turn here getting their reputation trashed.

So......... let's get this on a positive note:
Why not come up with a post listing all of the R/G options currently available for our market?
We add rocket's to everything!

Last edited by TMann : 06-20-2007 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:20 PM
ChasingMars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMann View Post
I would not want to service this market by manufacturing anything. Why? Every manufacturer takes a turn here getting their reputation trashed.
Except the Cozy Grrrls... nobody trashes the Cozy Grrrls. It *can* be done right.
Cozy IV Plans #1457 - Building Chapter Six!
http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/chasingmars/index.html
Old 06-20-2007, 12:50 AM
EVOLUTION EZE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Zeitlin View Post
This forum is hardly a representative sample of either builders or flyers, as you well know. There ARE two or three - maybe more - flying COZY's (III's and IV's) or Aerocanards (which we can certainly consider as a COZY from a landing gear standpoint). Bill Oertel's "Stiletto", at Chino, is one, and is the one with which Lynn E. has experience.

There are two others (Marv Schuh and Jim Marshall) noted on the Infinity web site. Given the problems that Bill has had with his set, it's not surprising that Jim Newman isn't using him for advertising :-).
A year ago January the designer of the infinity gear stated that he had 12 aircraft flying with his gear. are they all EZE types? there maybe a few more by now if they are all still flying. so if you are planing to run down to the local airport to see one of the many aircraft equipped with this gear you may want to think again. you have a better chance seeing an E racer/ berkut type gear. I have seen 10 aircraft and know of 4 more flying and there may even be some I have not heard of.
This is not a high volumn market and even if the rest of the kits sold are completed the numbers may double. I have seen every part in the gear and don't understand the long delivery times. there were several parts that we had to remake due to breakage. and that just did not take the machine shop that long to do. don't understand the delay due to needing a certain number of orders to start production. do smaller batches and charge more, if the price was a $1000 more do you think it stop the guy that just has to have one? that does not stop the lancair IV guys does it? there gear is some thing like $10,000. whats $1000 more on a $80,000 cozy.

Lynn Erickson A&P for lets say almost 30 years
Much better with a Dremel than a computer.
What if they gave me choice between a fast computer or a fast plane?
Old 06-20-2007, 08:14 AM
Got Foam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingmars View Post
Except the Cozy Grrrls... nobody trashes the Cozy Grrrls. It *can* be done right.
Right you are! I haven't heard any bad about Tracy Crook either but I really can't say that about most anyone else in the business. (.....or is it just a matter of time?) I don't know if you can have a customer group that is happy 100% of the time.

I hear people say they could do it better so why not do it? The numbers seem to indicate that it is a very narrow and specialized market. Yes, it would be nice to be able to lay your money down and have the gear slide accross the counter but it just doesn't work that way.

I would still put my money on the inf........ Hey wait a minute! I did put my money on the Infinity gear. So I guess you could say "I put my money where my mouth is!"

So has anyone figured out who all the gear suppliers are? This may be a golden opportunity for a business. The demand is there (to some degree.)
Old 06-20-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I was talking with JD about 2 hours ago. Getting some prep tips on my gear install. Beacause I'm using his gear I wanted to take advantage of his suggestions about setting in conduit to run the hydraulics and electrical through the fuselage walls.
Tips on installing gear you don't have are about as useful as tits on a bull.

Quote:
Yes, JD is slow, but for my money it's the best engineered solution currently on the market (unless you can name another that I am not aware of.)
It's not really "on the market" if you can't get them...
Plans #000

Redesigned 4-place canard.
500+ hrs into prototype build, Start Oct. 1, 05

(also build a MkIV fuselage, w/plans #1279)
Old 06-20-2007, 04:08 PM
Got Foam?

Quote:
Given the problems that Bill has had with his set, it's not surprising that Jim Newman isn't using him for advertising :-).
Is that the plane that went off the runway and was pulled out of a ditch by the gear legs?
Old 06-20-2007, 04:35 PM
Got Foam?

so, has anyone come up with a list of R/G suppliers?
Dennis, what all are you using for the sake of comparison for currently available gear?
Old 06-20-2007, 05:07 PM

[quote=TMann;49978]I was talking with JD about 2 hours ago. Getting some prep tips on my gear install. Because I'm using his gear I wanted to take advantage of his suggestions about setting in conduit to run the hydraulics and electrical through the fuselage walls.You must have the inside line.

After all the "JD Bashing" you've done here Dennis, would you expect him to give you a second thought? I know you can elaborate on how justified you are in your opinion but are you really surprised he didn't answer your email? To say you were would be a hard sell here. Odd- I posted following Chrissi's post about it being well known that delivery is slow and etc- one paragraph. Subsequent posts [like 8 or 9 of them] by others much more well respected and longer lived than I canardian-wise, focused the picture into WAITING YEARS for gear. I didn't know it was 4-5years as a typical expectation. Lynn just made an excellent point in the last post- why is that? Why does it take so long- when the parts are obtainable?

There are many more than 3 people flying retracts and many more building with retracts be they Infinity, Velocity, eRacer, Berkut ........
As Marc Z said in a post earlier this year (directed at me) participation in your poll is voluntary not mandatory. Well- pooh. ...I really needed to be reminded that when I ask for peoples input- I might not get everyone...because its voluntary! Wow. Big deal. I just asked a question about retracts in general.
What is incredible to me is that since the guy has apparently a nice product- [I'll take Waiters word for it since I respect his judgment] he doesn't really want to sell it. I personally emailed him and asked him about availability, and what that was...and that a check would be sent only tied to a concrete delivery date- and he wouldn't say. No explanation. No between then and then. I did this a year ago. And I did this recently. No info...
Is it that offensive after reading the guys here who have deposits on his gear for years and not received them..to ask the question? TMann, why don't you respond to me by PM- so you can freely explain your position. He is offered $, and no communication.

...and to say you wouldn't be a manufacturer and offer your products here, due to ridicule, is defensive. As its been pointed out- the Girrrls stuff is great stuff and well supported [probably the underwires ]. Featherlight, Aerocad, Matco, Todd's, Lanzas, Wilhelmsons & Dennis Oelmans products..all Not ridiculed. In fact suggested as suppliers. So, since the Infinity gear is good stuff- except its near vapor-ware to actually put your hands on a pair. Refute me...and prove me wrong. Others and I would like to own a pair.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:25 PM
Got Foam?

See you at Rough River when my build is complete.
I'll be the guy in the snarky plane with retracts!
Old 06-20-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Dennis, what all are you using for the sake of comparison for currently available gear?
I have the standard gear bow and have settled on the featherlight wheel fairings. I had planned to refairing my hoop trailing edges as they are not properly [as I see it] in 'trail' having a slightly droopy curve downwards in their T.E according to plansbuilt [or maybe just how I built]..

I had entertained a long time ago- the Infinity's...but didn't get the info I needed, so I defaulted to plans- and plans built is not a bad thing. Do still wish that I could've maybe been a Infinity-retract user.
Chris E. says that Velocity will be selling his/their joint RG gear and plans for itto go into the Mark IV, in September for 4grand. Trouble is it takes several inches out of the back seat area. So for somebody just starting...maybe some research into all of that...for them.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:34 PM
Got Foam?

Quote:
Trouble is it takes several inches out of the back seat area.
Yeah ..... that my understanding as well. The Berkut got around this by moving the rear seat up 6 inches.
I will lose some fuel capacity in the strakes but because I don't have any gear hardware behind the rear seat, I make up for it there.

All of the alternative retracts I have seen to date have this same issue. That was a big factor in my choice.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:28 AM
EVOLUTION EZE

Quote:
that would a very short list, starting with supplier # 0 and ending with supplier #0. there has not been a r/g supplier to supply a complete set of gear for a eze type aircraft in over a year. that being the case what if you do have a set flying and you break something. bend or dent a tube. loose a brake and find yourself in the weeds and the gear is ripped off. if the supplier takes several years to supply the gear then how long to get repair parts? if they have repair parts in stock then why not assemble some of the parts and ship them to their customers. a few happy customers is better then none.

Lynn Erickson A&P for lets say almost 30 years
Much better with a Dremel than a computer.
What if they gave me choice between a fast computer or a fast plane?
Old 06-21-2007, 03:15 AM

I have nudged the girrrls a couple of times trying to get them to produce R/G gear… Common Chrissi what is it going to take???

TMann I hope you the best of luck obtaining your gear in a timely matter. I have heard of many builders waiting at least 4 years. Why do you think your going to be any different?