Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Landing Gear, Wheels, Tires, and Brakes
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2007, 01:08 PM

Default Nylaflow question

Somewhere I read that the Nylaflow tubing should have a brass insert in the ends to keep it from collapsing after it is tightened down. Is this true? Where do I find them (Lowes????) /what insert is used?

Thanks,

Jerry (HiGeez) Preiser
Old 10-22-2007, 01:27 PM
Future Cozy Driver

Default Re: Nylaflow question

If you look at the fittings here:

http://aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ha...lofittings.php

You'll notice that like compression fittings for soft copper lines, they have a brass sleeve. I'd use something like that if it was me.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:09 PM
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiGeez View Post
Somewhere I read that the Nylaflow tubing should have a brass insert in the ends to keep it from collapsing after it is tightened down. Is this true? Where do I find them (Lowes????) /what insert is used?

Thanks,

Jerry (HiGeez) Preiser
If you must use Nylaflow, I believe that the inserts are available at ACS. You must use them or you will get a leak.

Why not use Nyloseal, a much better material all around and doesn't need inserts.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:21 PM

I used what was called for in the plans and it's already installed. I guess I could switch it out - duno if it is glass HARD in place, haven't pulled on it yet. I did notice in ACS that there is a brass insert for the Weatherhead brass fittings p/n 2030-4 with a .125 O.D. (the Nylafo I.D is .138). Will this work with the Nylaflow or is there too much slop? Is that the only draw back to the Nylaflow? If it leaks so much, why is it called out in the plans and why hasn't there been a mention of it in some C.A.D. (Cozy Advisory Directive)? Or was it?

Thanks all.

Jerry (HiGeez) Preiser
Old 10-23-2007, 06:04 PM
Rich

Quote:
I used what was called for in the plans and it's already installed. I guess I could switch it out - duno if it is glass HARD in place, haven't pulled on it yet. I did notice in ACS that there is a brass insert for the Weatherhead brass fittings p/n 2030-4 with a .125 O.D. (the Nylafo I.D is .138). Will this work with the Nylaflow or is there too much slop? Is that the only draw back to the Nylaflow? If it leaks so much, why is it called out in the plans and why hasn't there been a mention of it in some C.A.D. (Cozy Advisory Directive)? Or was it?

Thanks all.

Jerry (HiGeez) Preiser
If you used the big stuff, you might be able to use it as conduit for nyloseal. If not, make a test deal using nyloflow prepared the way that you did when you originally put in, slop some epoxy, flox, etc on it with some glass. Let it harden and then try to pull on it.

If you are stuck with the flow, make very sure that it is not available to any light source (sun) as UV causes embrittlement (leaks)

Sometimes the materials that were chosen originally were replaced by other materials or were originally used because that was what was around the shop and it got into the plans and was never changed.

Now a question, We are talking about brake lines, right?
The brake lines are fed down the legs through the straw conduit so there isn't much of a problem there. That leaves the path between the master cylinders and the legs. If you have these permanently affixed and can't get them out, just run new ones with a 1bid cover along the sides of the fuselage. I have a conduit running down the central console. this with the Mcdonald's straw conduit in the legs allows me to easily string the brake tubing and remove it and replace it if needed.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:16 PM

Wink Re: Nylaflow question

Rich,

They're stuck! And yes, it's the brake lines. Went to Lowes this weekend and the only brass inserts were for 1/4 line and bigger but not for 3/16 (with a .138 I.D.). Sooooo, do I chance a leak? Running another line(s), this time Nylo-seal, will be a PITA, not to mention additional $$$$$. I'm gonna try the 2030-4 Weatherhead brass iserts first. The ACS part number also has a * next to it indicating it's used on Long-EZ aircraft. They used the Nylaflow tubing, didn't they?

Thanks for the input.

Jerry
Old 10-30-2007, 08:31 AM
Rich

Quote:
Rich,

They're stuck! And yes, it's the brake lines. Went to Lowes this weekend and the only brass inserts were for 1/4 line and bigger but not for 3/16 (with a .138 I.D.). Sooooo, do I chance a leak? Running another line(s), this time Nylo-seal, will be a PITA, not to mention additional $$$$$. I'm gonna try the 2030-4 Weatherhead brass iserts first. The ACS part number also has a * next to it indicating it's used on Long-EZ aircraft. They used the Nylaflow tubing, didn't they?

Thanks for the input.

Jerry

I believe you are right about burt using flow in the Long.

I don't think, however it is stiff enough to use without a bushing. Best to call ACS and ask them, or better yet, find the manufacturer (ACS will either give it to you or call them themselves to get the info.) You can also call Matco. You might even be able to get away with using a brass tube from a hobby shop. The OD of the insert is critical, the ID less so. There is very little fluid transfer.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

some info on materials
http://canardaviationwiki.dmt.net/wi...hp/Brake_Lines
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 12-19-2007, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Well - finally checked out the brake lines last evening - nylaflow - i'll order replacement lines and change to nylaseal - thanks for the info - too bad it took 5 years to get!!!
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 06-02-2008, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

stupid, stupid, I just ordered nyla seal fittings and i ordered what was on the various parts, L NPT fittings.

I hate NPT L's - every time you tighten them they go to a different place - I'll probably replace them all with straight ones, they always tighten to the same place

for me - NO 90 degree NPT fittings!
dust

Old 11-13-2008, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

AR - i'm using the 1/8 inch stuff - thats what you are using is it not?
dust

Old 11-18-2008, 04:25 PM
G.Norman

Using 1/8 NPT fittings and "AN" fittings for the teflon/stainless weave hose in front of the calipers. Usung Matco fittings for plumbing. 1/4" Nyloseal tube for plumbing.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Well, appears that "Parker" bought the nyloseal tubing rights, the stuff now has "Parker" something or other on it.
dust

Old 03-08-2009, 10:14 PM
G.Norman

You need this:

http://www.matcomfg.com/Reservoirs-tp2-9.html
Get the kit. It comes with the clear tubing and matched fittings. Enough to go from the pistons to the reservoirs.

Parker Parflex. The tubing is actually 3/8 O.D. The black is still rated at 2500 psi. Still advertised as Nylo-seal at ACS, you're okay.:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...s/nyloseal.php

Last edited by neverquit : 03-08-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:20 PM

CP51, Page 5 (April, 1987) mentions Mike Melville installed Teflon hose assemblies (Stratoflex part #124001-3CR) in place of the Nylaflow nylon brake lines. These are teflon lines encased in stainless. While pricey, it sounds like the Stratoflex lines are probably the best way to go. In my VariEze, I installed them inside a plastic conduit along the gear leg trailing edge and up to the master cylinders just in case of any future removal needs.

Regards,

SPG1