Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Firewall Backward and Forward
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2004, 06:22 PM

Default aligned holes through LG bulkheads and firewall

In Chapt. 6, after attaching the firewall and LG bulkheads, the plans instruct you to drill 2 holes, aligned through all three. What is this hole for? If it is for the main landing gear, then I don't need it, as I'm using the retracts. If it's for the aileron controls, then I do need it.

Anyone ?
Plans #000

Redesigned 4-place canard.
500+ hrs into prototype build, Start Oct. 1, 05

(also build a MkIV fuselage, w/plans #1279)
Old 09-07-2004, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaleDC
In Chapt. 6, after attaching the firewall and LG bulkheads, the plans instruct you to drill 2 holes, aligned through all three. What is this hole for? If it is for the main landing gear, then I don't need it, as I'm using the retracts. If it's for the aileron controls, then I do need it.
If you're talking about the holes drilled in Figure 13, they're pilot holes for the landing gear, and only go through the LG bulkheads, not the firewall.

If you're talking about some other holes, I have no clue, since there are no other holes.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:01 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

I think you're referring to the torque tube holes. I drilled them later. Big mistake. Drill them now, a bit oversize. Later you can enclose the torque tube in a bit of PVC pipe and flox / glass the pipe in the exact orientation to get a nice smooth conduit. Put a little grease in it and the torque tube is nicely sealed and has a good home for life. I saw Bulent do this and copies it. Looks good too.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Epoxy Fingerprints

Default LG Bulkhead Aileron Torque Tube Holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade View Post
I think you're referring to the torque tube holes. I drilled them later. Big mistake. Drill them now, a bit oversize. Later you can enclose the torque tube in a bit of PVC pipe and flox / glass the pipe in the exact orientation to get a nice smooth conduit. Put a little grease in it and the torque tube is nicely sealed and has a good home for life. I saw Bulent do this and copies it. Looks good too.
This post has been up for quite some time now, but I am at the point where I needed to decide to drill the holes in the upper portions of the landing gear bulkheads now or later. Searching the archives left me with confident that I should drill the holes now.

Should I just follow the plans location, angle, and diameter, or are there suggestions to go larger, smaller, higher, or lower?

I am about to flox the lower section of the firewall into place and figure that drilling the holes will be easy with no firewall there. I skipped this when I was in Chapter 4 (I assume intentionally).

That pipe idea sounds like a good one to me. Are there any builder sites with photos of this setup?
Cozy Mark IV #1353 builder (weekends); Semiconductor Field Applications Enginer (weekdays).
Current status as of April '07:
*Chapter 4, 5 - completed
*Chapter 6 - in progres, fuselage assembled without a bottom, step 1 completed.

Continuing to make progress every weekend.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:20 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

We did it with the lower firewall in place. This gives you both ends (the stick and the firewall) and lets you figure out where the intermediate holes need to be.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:46 PM
Epoxy Fingerprints

Default Torque Tube holes in landing gear bulkheads.

Quote:
We did it with the lower firewall in place. This gives you both ends (the stick and the firewall) and lets you figure out where the intermediate holes need to be.
Ahh... a new conclusion is forming in my head. I should flox the firewall in place and then visualize a straight line from where the control stick will be, through the seatback, through the landing gear bulkheads, and through the firewall. (I don't recall if it goes through the firewall, I thought not).

Therefore, if this is the case, I don't need to worry about these holes until some time in the future.
Cozy Mark IV #1353 builder (weekends); Semiconductor Field Applications Enginer (weekdays).

Old 04-02-2007, 06:57 PM

I would wait until after the first step in Chapter 9 to drill the torque tube holes. Otherwise, you will just have more holes to glass over in Chapter 9 when you install all of the bulkhead reinforcements in that area.

I followed the exact method outlined on Bernie Siu's website and it worked well.

Also, I drilled a 1/4" hole in the firewall and that allowed for the pilot bit for the hole saw. Later, it will get enlarged. (Be careful .. the firewall hole is not as large as the others you will be drilling.)
Cozy Mk IV #1334
Old 04-02-2007, 07:01 PM
Epoxy Fingerprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Springer View Post
I would wait until after the first step in Chapter 9 to drill the torque tube holes. Otherwise, you will just have more holes to glass over in Chapter 9 when you install all of the bulkhead reinforcements in that area.

I followed the exact method outlined on Bernie Siu's website and it worked well.

Also, I drilled a 1/4" hole in the firewall and that allowed for the pilot bit for the hole saw. Later, it will get enlarged. (Be careful .. the firewall hole is not as large as the others you will be drilling.)
Ahh... I'll hit Bernie's website right now and check it out.

I wish that there was a new edition to the plans that reflected all of this smart information that builders have figured out over the years.

Regards,

Dan

Old 04-02-2007, 07:03 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

It's not a straight line, Dan. There's a kink just behind the front seat where the universal joint goes. Make the holes when you install the controls in chapter 16.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Epoxy Fingerprints

Quote:
It's not a straight line, Dan. There's a kink just behind the front seat where the universal joint goes. Make the holes when you install the controls in chapter 16.
Thanks John.... I've been reading the archives, referencing the plans, and checking out the Bernie Siu website (great information there). I am glad that I read, and commented on here first. Your suggestions, for example, may have stopped me from going crazy with the drill before it was necessary.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:43 PM

Quote:
You can wait or you can use the method I mentioned which includes installing a temporary bracket at the location of the bearing behind the front seat back. A cross-hair is marked and drilled through so that a fishing line can be strung from there to the hole in the firewall.

Then, just get all the holes concentric with the line. That part is a little tricky. You will need to drill the best (small) holes you can to begin with in the LG bukheads for the line to pass through. Then, string the line through and it will probably zig zag. Enlarge the holes until it passes through cleanly. Next, I clamped a piece of wood with a 1/4" hole to the forward side of the aft bulkhead to provide a guide for the hole saw. The other guide was a 1/4" hole in the firewall. Clamp it in position with the line running exactly though the center, then remove the line and drill aft bulkhead. Then, drill the forward bulhead.
Cozy Mk IV #1334
Old 04-03-2007, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Springer View Post
You can wait or you can use the method I mentioned which includes installing a temporary bracket at the location of the bearing behind the front seat back. A cross-hair is marked and drilled through so that a fishing line can be strung from there to the hole in the firewall.

Then, just get all the holes concentric with the line. That part is a little tricky. You will need to drill the best (small) holes you can to begin with in the LG bukheads for the line to pass through. Then, string the line through and it will probably zig zag. Enlarge the holes until it passes through cleanly. Next, I clamped a piece of wood with a 1/4" hole to the forward side of the aft bulkhead to provide a guide for the hole saw. The other guide was a 1/4" hole in the firewall. Clamp it in position with the line running exactly though the center, then remove the line and drill aft bulkhead. Then, drill the forward bulhead.
funny you said that, it was the way i did it, but i used a string. and slowly routed out the holes with a die grinder.
john is right, its not straight. but the tubes are
you have a u-joint behind the seat(if you look at the M's it will be clear)
if you jump ahead and glue the m's together, you can find the plans bobo's early as you install stuff....jmo