Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Firewall Backward and Forward
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2004, 05:59 PM

Default Cozy go VVVRRROOOOOOMMM...

Did anyone see the article in Custom Planes about Predator Aviation's Chevrolet LS1 V8 aircrarft conversion? Anyone have the skinny on this company? They offer a V8 conversion, PSRU, IVO in flight adjustable prop, and even airconditioning for $28,000

I've thought about a small block Chevy before. We I grew up, there wasn't much to do (in Conroe TX. back then) except chase girls and race cars. The boys could make incredible power and run the snot out of them. They took alot of abuse and the failures were always related to lost coolant or oil.

Now I've heard several claims that the LS1 V8 engine is designed for 100% duty cycle at 100% power. Chevy is getting serious about offshore power boat racing and Corvette racing, not the silly NASCAR crap, but the real racing (Lemans 24, petite Lemans 12, 24 hours Daytona, Rolex 24, etc) with real production vehicles.

This idea still rattles around in my head because the LS1 generates so much torque (Hi Dust!!! ) that the HP at 2800 RPM should be good enough for the Cozy without needing a PSRU.

Okay... I know about part counts and moving part failures, but that doesn't hold water for me. If you follow that logic, then a 3 cylinder Geo engine should give you fewer engine problems than a Toyota V8. I've seen waaayyyy to many 4 and 6 cylinder engines that had horrible reliability and V12's that were bullet proof. It's the total package that counts, not an imaginary sum of statistical failure rates, or lack of true standard deviation results.

Maybe a twin turbo V8... uh, just for atmospheric pressure equalization of course!
Old 10-09-2004, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarbleTurtle
....This idea still rattles around in my head because the LS1 generates so much torque (Hi Dust!!! ) that the HP at 2800 RPM should be good enough for the Cozy without needing a PSRU.
Given that the torque curve of this engine is relatively flat and that it produces about 350 HP at 5600 RPM, at best you'll get around 180 - 200 HP at 2800 RPM. Hardly seems worth all the extra weight.
Old 10-09-2004, 04:20 AM

I have actually been considering using the Rover (Buick) all alloy 3.5L V8 with EFI and redrive in a KR2S...hehehe talk about overkill, but since my home airfield is nestled between BIG hills at altitude, I really do want to have some extra HP up my sleeve.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:10 PM

Well, the new Corvette engine is supposed to produce around 450 peak HP IIRC. Maybe a redrive is in order... but I'm not certain what I need THAT much power for. I do like the idea of an engine that doesn't need a starter! That is... until I need to figure out why the ECU isn't kick starting the engine.

Then again, maybe 450 HP would be useful for those times I'm carrying baggage pods... really really big baggage pods.

I thought I saw a picture somewhere where a long-ez driver installed a V8...
Old 10-11-2004, 12:11 PM

Gary Spencer, from California I believe, has a Ford 360 c.i. aluminum small block in his Long EZ. It is direct drive, no PSRU. He has raced it several times in the west coast R.A.C.E. events, and I think his speeds were in the 230 - 240 mph range. I've seen a couple of pictures of it somewhere. Since it does not have a PSRU, the crank center line raises the engine up to a WL that puts the valve covers into the airstream above the normal cylinder blisters in a Lycoming installation. It's an interesting installation, and I'm sure he draws a crowd where ever he goes.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:19 PM
redesigning every part before build

If you are not concerned about efficency, and want to go fast, Put a real small prop on it.

If you can spin a 68" at 2800, then a 34" will do 5600, same tip speed. You wont have the takeoff thrust efficency(450Hp at, say.5, instead of 180 at .75. which would you choose), but you will have the top speed.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:08 PM

I knew I'd seen a picture of the V-8 Long EZ somewhere. Here it is. Now we're talkin' experimental aviation!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	V8EZ.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	448  
Old 10-25-2004, 05:50 PM

It's gotta put a little RuMbLe on the runway... hey wait! No PSRU!!!
Old 10-27-2004, 10:55 AM
G.Norman

Who needs a PSRU when you have a prop like that. - no guts, no glory!

Anyone seen a V10 viper motor in one yet?
Old 02-11-2007, 07:51 PM
Just Bloody Good

Arrow More info on Gary Spencer V8 Longez

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbus View Post
Gary Spencer, from California I believe, has a Ford 360 c.i. aluminum small block in his Long EZ. It is direct drive, no PSRU. He has raced it several times in the west coast R.A.C.E. events, and I think his speeds were in the 230 - 240 mph range. I've seen a couple of pictures of it somewhere. Since it does not have a PSRU, the crank center line raises the engine up to a WL that puts the valve covers into the airstream above the normal cylinder blisters in a Lycoming installation. It's an interesting installation, and I'm sure he draws a crowd where ever he goes.
Dose any body have more information and pic,s of Gary Spencer V8 Longez ?
Old 02-11-2007, 08:31 PM

Default From another forum....

"In the December issue of kitplanes there is an article on Gary Spencers LongEZ with a small block Ford V8 for power."
Old 02-12-2007, 12:22 AM
LONG EZ 360

The first time I started my rebuilt Lyc 360, I was sitting in my Long EZ some weeks prior to first flight. The initial realisation was that you can't see a thing back there (Note: on the ground, or in flight, nothing).... I was glad to have a couple of friends there with fire extinguishers. See attached. I had no idea it happened. Next thing I heard was "FIRE!", followed by an extinguisher. Turns out it burped some fuel through the system during a backfire. It never burped since.

Believe me you want it all low-risk back there.

Every time I cross the desert I'm glad I have a lowEST risk Lycoming.

Wayne Blackler
IO-360 Long EZ
Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2909.bmp
Views:	142
Size:	900.1 KB
ID:	3340  
Old 02-12-2007, 12:47 AM
builder wannabe

I have seen a fire in an air filter once.. go figure!

S
Old 03-07-2007, 09:30 AM

LS1 engines need an upgraded valve train to last at 100% power for more than a few hundred hours. The exhaust valves can not take the temperature. Some of the people that build engines for marine use could help with what needs to be replaced. Maybe the people at www.ls1tech.com could help.