Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > FLYING INFO AND STORIES > Canard Plane Flying Stories/Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2004, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Cool Flying Stories NEEDED

Flying Stories NEEDED

Flyers - tell us about your trips, we build and build and build and build and some plane to build and plan to build and we only have dreams - we need stories

No matter how mundane, especially the mundane, tired of hearing of failures, yes, make them the mundane kind, just tell of what you do with your bird.
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 12-15-2004, 06:50 PM

canard

Last edited by tnt : 03-11-2005 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Flying a Long off of grass

I've bought a lot on an airpark in north Fla that has a grass field. I've landed and barely taken off there twice. These birds were not meant for grass. I have preloaded the nose gear spring to over 400 pounds and put 5.00x5 tires on the mains. It is not enough. I have to bounce the nose with the stick to get it up. The little nose wheel drags and therefore lowers the nose. Once you get the nose up you are pretty much OK. They have plans to pave the runway and I now have become sorta the on site chairman of the runway paving committee. Believe me it really got me motivated on those two take offs. I tested the fact that these things will climb out with the nose bobbing and the stick all the way back. It did it but I don't want to keep testing it. I think with a dry field and solo without much gas I could do it but wouldn't like it. The last time the field was wet and soggy but I was solo.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:56 AM

Wink

How long is the strip??? Is the grass St Augustine? I'm still looking at the MK IV to be able to land & takeoff (not optional) at my brothers 5,000 grass strip.

HiGeez
Old 04-11-2005, 11:51 PM

Default Grass

HiGeez,
This one is 3,000 but the problem is the drag, mainly on the nose gear. You can't get enough speed and you can't get the nose up. I shortened my main gear a little and could use more but I think it was too long to begin with. It gives me a more nose up stance. Also the nose gear spring has to be very stiff. The Ezelift would help. And the grass needs to be short and the turf hard, not soggy at all and as smooth as possible. If you try it, be very light and solo. If you have to, pump the stick to get the nose to bounce and then fly it in ground effect to get safe speed for your plane. BUT THE IMPORTANT THING IS TO ABORT THE TAKE OFF IF IT'S NOT WORKING!!!!!! Once on a long but not really good grass field I had to off load 20 gal of gas, wait until the cool morning and then I hit a bump that got my nose up. I DON'T RECOMMEND ANY OF THIS. This was just me trying to figure out if I could use this airpark until they paved it. My answer is NO I can't. But they have given me the go ahead to get it paved. The grass is Bahia, its Fla but it has a clay base.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:36 PM
G.Norman

How about some of those first flight stories from Florida??
Old 04-19-2006, 11:17 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

OK, I'll give you a quick write up....

I was prepping the plane for the trip North today when Buly arrived to see if he could shoehorn himself into a stock Cozy. Buly is a big guy - 230 (guess) and 6'3" (another guess). We took out the seat, adjusted the rudders and removed his shoes. Apart from his knees hitting the IP when he tried to get on the rudders he was quite comfortable, so we went flying.

I did the first pattern as a demo, did a go around then handed over to Buly. He did pretty well, except that he was lined up 20' offset from the runway to the right (right seat playing tricks on perspective). We went around again. His second approach was pretty good. A bit high, so I told him to use both rudders and cut the power, then just keep still. We yawed a bit back and forth as he got the hang of it. At 20' and still a little offset to the right, I took it and centered us on the runway for touchdown. Held the nose off for a few seconds then BAM.

You guessed it. I was so distracted fixing the landing I'd forgotten to check the gear. I'd raised it on the go around, then handed off to Buly. He was flying downwind. Neither of us did the checks. Damn. We'd had power on for most of the approach, and neither of us heard the voice warning.

It was a fairly big thump, but otherwise a non-event. I steered her onto the grass as we slowed through 30 kts or so. We jumped out, lowered the nose and I taxied back to the hangar while Buly looked for the bits of my one missing wheel pant.

We worked on it together all afternoon. Removed the gear, replaced the almost shaved off aluminum plate and bolts and reinstalled. I repaired the "flat bit" with 3 BID and she's almost as good as new. The wheel pant is roughly back together, but it needs a lot of work.

At least we got two memberships in "the club" for the price of one.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:17 AM
Back to square one

Oh... Oh... Ouch!

I don't know what to say. John, you have remarkable composure for posting this soon after joining the club.

-- Len
-- Len Evansic, Cozy Mk. IV Plans #1283
Do you need a customized Flightline Chair?
Old 04-20-2006, 02:22 AM

ys in deed he dose, even "I" can't come up with a joke
sorry john, at least you got it out of the way
Old 04-20-2006, 07:21 AM
Nathan Gifford

It sounds like that metal plate beats the hockey puck method. Glad to hear the damage was minor.

I sure the Kitten will do better when it grows up to be a Slick Kat...
Better Still --> Chapter 9
Old 04-20-2006, 07:46 AM
Finally at Chapter 4!

This was your plane, wasn't it John?

Therefore it had the standard hockey puck?
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
Old 04-20-2006, 08:25 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Yes, my plane. The (beatifully microed and painted, if I say so myself) hockey puck disappeared. I'm guessing it lasted around 0.02 seconds. I think it's function is more for nose down parking than for abrasion. The plate that took the brunt was the plans 1/4 aluminum that bolts to the front top of the gear leg holding it to the bearing. I forget the part number.

Unfortunately the Kat has another problem that I'll be investigating today - the noise in the cockpit has increased dramatically. I think this contributed to us not hearing the voice warning. Its not a new noise, or a different noise - just more noise. I suspect the exhaust manifold. You might recall that I got it off Ebay as a "trial" with the intention of having it rebuilt in inconel. A combination of high EGTs and less than the best stainless has probably taken it's toll.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade
with the intention of having it rebuilt in inconel.
AHHHHHHHH - terrible expensive - 321 should do ya ifin you can keep the temps down under 1800F

Tooo bad about joining the club, Hope, and i mean HOPE my black box saves my puck
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 04-20-2006, 11:38 AM

Is now a good time for a shameless plug?
New Noze Skid (CCF Post).
Chapter 13 Web Site write-up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13skidplate4.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	2226  
Wayne Hicks, Cozy Plans #678
http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages...cks/index.html

Last edited by Wayne Hicks : 04-20-2006 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:29 PM
G.Norman

I very good time Wayne. We always like your stuff. What have you researched for best final layer of plastic?

I know, sorry.

How's Buly's plane coming?