View Poll Results: What type of gear will (or would) you install
Featherlite Strut 47 45.19%
Infinity Retracts 43 41.35%
Aerocad fixed gear 2 1.92%
Other retract system 12 11.54%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2005, 11:47 AM

Default Retract vs Fixed

That LongEz with retracts in a 1992 Kitplane magazine, made by a former B-29 tailgunner, also had legs made this way. The gear lifted up and into a slot in the bottom of the wings...... [/quote]

I've had this LEZ since 1993. It was fast (185 KIAS @9500 MSL). It won some "R.A.C.E.'s" before I got it. Unfortunately, the souped-up 0-320 came apart in flight in 1994 and it has been on the ground since. We are beginning the process of installing a turbocharged Renesis.

During the forced landing, the landing gear was broken. New ones have been built and installed. The B-29 tailgunner was a genius. The retracts attach at the same place the fixed gear is attached. His friend got a set of them in his LEZ. IMHO these are the only 2 using this setup (more related to Berkut and ERacer than Infinity).
Old 02-06-2005, 02:36 PM
Donald James Rise Jr

Default retracts

A fellow Long-EZ pilot here at HFY has a EZRG built by Steve Drybread that has retracts that mount where the stock gear does. It quite fast and looks way cool. Oh.The owner of the EZRG is also building a Cozy.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred N.
I've had this LEZ since 1993. It was fast (185 KIAS @9500 MSL). It won some "R.A.C.E.'s" before I got it. Unfortunately, the souped-up 0-320 came apart in flight in 1994 and it has been on the ground since. We are beginning the process of installing a turbocharged Renesis.
F R E D !!!!! While trying to follow-up on that LEZ so I can learn more about the construction of those legs, I heard about the subsequent SaltLake vicinity forced landing with that LEZ. That's you???!!! I understood that LEZ was almost totalled. I wanted to know about his construction of those legs and his mount/retract system. Like the type & number of plies, width and resulting thickness. That's if you don't mind sharing. As for the mount/retract system, I could figure it out but why re-invent the wheel. THAT is my kind of retracts. I AM a former tailgunner myself, maybe that counts?

"souped-up 0-320" Now on one hand we hear that retracts really don't add that much speed over the EZ's standard fixed-gear setup, and I tend to believe that. So it must've been the motor which made the real difference, correct??

As for the Berkut & ERacer, of course you know they're slightly different with a narrower wheelbase and stiffer ride on the ground as the loading on the legs is different. I discussed the ground-ride with Charles Bracken at RR 2003.

Turbo'd Renesis? How far along are you? What turbo are you using and how are you controlling the wastegate? On your CD of Renesis pics from Bruce, mine is the (regretably) gold one. And your's would be in the Fred directory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRise
A fellow Long-EZ pilot here at HFY has a EZRG built by Steve Drybread that has retracts that mount where the stock gear does. It quite fast and looks way cool. Oh.The owner of the EZRG is also building a Cozy.
Wait, I thought Steve Drybread owned the EZRG business. I know he'd have a big market in the canard world. So sorry he crashed.

Last edited by tnt : 02-06-2005 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:05 PM
Wannabe - with plans

"The spar can take much more weight and torsion than the part of the fuselage the gear attaches to..."

Statement based on what? I'd say it can take less.

"...the wider stance of the retracts can give stability..."

Possibly true, but I haven't heard lack of stability indicated as a problem.

"...handle rough strips..."

The designer says no.

"...won't spread..."

True.

"...(won't) throw **stuff** into the prop arc as easily as the fixed gear..."

False.

Sorry to pick on Clutch, but you win for raising the most points. I would also agree with others that the retracts are a clear style winner, but I don't have to look at the main gear. There is already enuf performance with the fixed.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:54 AM

Default TNT info:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt
That's you???!!! - "YES!!" I understood that LEZ was almost totalled. - "NO" I wanted to know about his construction of those legs and his mount/retract system. Like the type "CARBON FIBER UNI-DIRECTIONAL W/ BID WRAPPING THE FINAL 2 LAYERS" & number of plies, "A MAXIMUM OF ABOUT 60 ON THE UPPER PART" "PROBABLY AS FEW AS 45 ON THE LOWER PARTS" width "ABOUT 8" AT THE TOP AND GOING DOWN TO 4" WHERE THE WHEELS BOLT ON" and resulting thickness "APPROXIMATELY 1" THICK". That's if you don't mind sharing. "DON"T MIND AT ALL. PLEASE NOTICE THESE NUMBERS ARE OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD RIGHT NOW. I CAN GET THE EXACT MEASUREMENTS FROM MY LOG AND/OR BY MEASURING". As for the mount/retract system, I could figure it out but why re-invent the wheel. THAT is my kind of retracts. I AM a former tailgunner myself, maybe that counts? "IT COUNTS!!"

"souped-up 0-320" Now on one hand we hear that retracts really don't add that much speed over the EZ's standard fixed-gear setup, and I tend to believe that "I'VE ONLY BEEN A PASSENGER IN 1 FG LEZ, SO I'M NOT AN EXPERT. IT WAS ONLY 150 HP BUT WAS SIGNIFICANTLY SLOWER WHEN WE FLEW TOGETHER, SIDE-BY-SIDE". So it must've been the motor which made the real difference, correct?? "I BELIEVE MOTOR AND RETRACTS BOTH ARE IMPORTANT FACTORS. R.A.C.E. PARTICIPANTS ARE A DIFFERENT BREED. FOR SPEED, THEY DO THINGS I WOULDN'T."

As for the Berkut & ERacer, of course you know they're slightly different with a narrower wheelbase and stiffer ride on the ground as the loading on the legs is different. I discussed the ground-ride with Charles Bracken at RR 2003.

Turbo'd Renesis? "YES" How far along are you? "NOT FAR. ENGINE IS HERE. TURBO IS HERE. ECU, ECM, & 2.85 REDRIVE ARE HERE. NEED ENGINE MOUNT, MANIFOLDS, ALTERNATOR, STARTER, INTERCOOLER, RADIATOR, OIL COOLER. What turbo are you using and how are you controlling the wastegate? "I HAVE WHAT I HOPE IS A TO4E-60 AS IT WAS CAPABLE OF THE HIGH ALTITUDE FLOW THAT I NEED. I'M ONLY INTENDING TO TURBO-NORMALIZE, I.E. NO BOOST AT SEA LEVEL & BOOSTING TO SEA LEVEL PRESSURE AS I CLIMB. On your CD of Renesis pics from Bruce, mine is the (regretably) gold one. And your's would be in the Fred directory.

Wait, I thought Steve Drybread owned the EZRG business. I know he'd have a big market in the canard world. So sorry he crashed.
I took the liberty of briefly answering your questions here in public on the off chance someone else may be interested. There is lots to be done still.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:14 AM
Donald James Rise Jr

Default fixed/retracts. food for the fire

My winter project was to make and install wheel pants for my Long-EZ. The weather broke here for a few days, so I was able to fit and install them, and get a few flights in. The results were a little surprising. Without pants I would fly at 155mph @ 2500rpm @ 4K msl IAS. With pants 167mph @ 2500rpm @ 4K msl IAS. The pants cost around $20.00 for Glass, epoxy, stuff. I think it was the best $20.00 I have spent on my plane. Not 200mph but fast enough for me. The down side no more grass for her. The Luscombe will still be able to though.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:28 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Not bad, DJ. Not bad at all.

I noticed a definate difference with pants installed too, but I haven't had a chance to test the speeds yet. Also, there's less vibration & wind noise.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:37 AM
Donald James Rise Jr

I also found those point true. Gotta start slowing farther out too. I think I will keep the smile on the face as long as I can.
Anybody want to buy a set of hub caps for 500X5 Cleveland wheels?
Old 02-07-2005, 08:56 AM

Quote:
I took the liberty of briefly answering your questions here in public on the off chance someone else may be interested. There is lots to be done still.
If there are any other details you don't mind sharing... I'm all ears!

Pictures would also be nice!
Old 01-13-2006, 07:25 PM

why can I not see current posts? Last post date if 2/05?

thanks,

John
Old 01-13-2006, 07:58 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

You are seeing the last post. The forum software considers the thread new if someone adds to the poll. Silly, but thats the way it works. I find it annoying too. I wonder if we can change it.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Sure can - can just close the poll - should we do a poll on it?
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 01-13-2006, 08:43 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Don't close the poll. I think it's useful. People are still voting, so it's obviously relevant.

There should be a way to stop the software flipping the "new" switch on for a poll vote.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:49 AM

The last time I checked, AeroCad had stopped building their own main gear bows. Instead acquiring them from Featherlite. The website doesn't currently mention a gear. Unless they've started up again, "AeroCad Fixed Gear" shouldn't be on the poll?

As for possible harmonic issues, don't point the finger at the gear. The issue was solved by verifying and fixing the disc runout and balancing of some of the earlier MATCO brakes. (I've forgotten if the Clevelands did it or not.) Anyway, allllllll that discussion and the solution(s) are well documented in Marc Z's archives. (One of the advatages of participating on that list.) Those that have fixed their brakes have no harmonic issues.

As for Burt not needing a box to think in... In a recent SS1 presentation given by Doug Shannon, Chief of Flight Operations at Scaled, I got the impression from Doug that Burt has his very own ideas for how to build the box and for what to put inside and outside the box. Yet, he doesn't dismiss other peoples' boxes, he considers them! (Why create if you don't need to?) As posted by me somewhere else on this forum, when Scaled was developing the operational concept for getting to space, they first considered a rocket and capsule, jettison, and parachute recovery into ocean just like in the 60's. Burt's gift is being able to develop a root system that is robust, yet simple as possible.

Take the feathering system! That was a "box" used for years to bring down RC gliders from altitude. He took the "box" and applied it to SS1. Doug said accomplishing the X-prize would have been monumentally more complex without the feather.
Wayne Hicks, Cozy Plans #678
http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages...cks/index.html
Old 01-24-2006, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

or you could look here
http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net/showthread.php?t=978
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world