Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > New Member Introductions
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2006, 08:13 PM

Default Christmas In February!!!

OK, you guys are now officially joined by Cozy Mk IV builder holding plans #1435!!

Whooohoooo!!

Tate Wood
Old 02-21-2006, 08:45 PM

Welcome to the brotherhood of madmen (and a couple of GIRRLS ) who actually believe they can build a flying machine in their garage... or basement.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:33 PM

Thumbs up

Very Kewl. To continue the Christmas in Feb theme, SWMBO (Jana) just called me at work to tell me I have a package waiting at home from Dynon Development. Wahoo (in my best Steve Martin from the movie "The Jerk"), the new EFIS D-100 is in, the new EFIS D-100 is in......

Can't wait to get off duty.

All the best,

Chris
Old 02-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

great stuff - now don't do what i did - found reasons not to build for 18 months
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 02-22-2006, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Can't wait to get off duty.
Waaaaiiiiittttt a minute... you're supposed to be out protecting the public right now, but your here posting on the CAF?

That reminds me... has everyone seen the trunk monkey commercial where the chimp offers the cop a donut as a bribe... and the cop is not amused? "Is this your monkey?"

Whoops... back to work before they catch me.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:38 PM

Yep, gotta love technology. High speed internet access in the car. Hey, would you rather me be sooooo bored, I miss something. This way, due to the sophistication of this forum, I stay alert, thus do my duty much better. (btw, in the old days, the argument was against radio in cars as the cops may not pay attention. After all cops are way too stupid to multi task (like pilots do).....just ask the folks who granted me my doctoral degree . I do admit, I must improve my skills of typing with one hand and driving with the other (which is required in running plates etc). We did just install voice recognition software (we are still working out the bugs), but you still have to type a key to activate it. Now I can just say your plate and determine a "hit"

Hmmm, I figured I liked this job since I "can drive fast and carry a gun"....maybe it is for the technology (I already got my office high tech....mostly)

Of course, anything can be abused.....just make sure not to abuse it, there is a wide gap between "use" and "abuse". FYI, I still issued several citations and made an arrest........slow night.

Got home and powered up the EFIS off of the internal backup batter (fully charged from factory....per claims, no less than two hour backup time). What a sweet unit. Works right out of the box (at least in "new toy" mode). The size seems just perfect for the Velo (Couldn't afford the BM EFIS One anyway, but it would be too big without major panel adjustments/compromises....due to my Velo having yokes in the panel instead of console center stick....those with center stick could fit a BMEOne. FWIW.

FINALLY, I figured out how to update my webpage w/o trashing what was already posted, so, I have new material on my webpage for those who may give a flip

All the best,

Chris
Old 02-22-2006, 10:12 PM
w/ Spinner and Paddlefoot

Default hight eck

Wow Chris!
You have quite a lot of stuff on your site! Very nice!

Side point: Have you seen "Super Troopers"?

Anyway, I have high speed mobile internet and I use it for business, weather traffic etc. If you could not prioritize properly, you could have several mishaps (like some who can't talk and drive at the same time, I can drive and talk on the cell phone, ham radio, CB etc.,et al but when driving requires my attention, you may not be able to carry on a conversation with me. OTOH, my wife can rattle on in 2 languages, machine gun style, without missing an adverb whilist turning an avenue into a improvisational demolition derby.)

I think that there should be a one-handed keyboard for mobile computer jockeys with a thumb pad to keep the bounce low so you don't bounce a kkkkkkkkkkkey when you're driving. Also, reverse letters (black background, white letters) automatically when it gets dark.
I spent about 30 minutes one time writing a response to the post "My wife is going to kill me" basically telling the guy to take his wife out to dinner, get her a massage, and bring flowers so he could 'fess up and tell the truth. Maybe she would help put more epoxy on the hood fer that! Anyway, when I hit "submit reply" button, my connection was lost and I was too tired to type it all again! That doesn't happen with IDACS and NCIC and whatever else the HS team has dreamed up for y'all, does it?

Back to work
Old 02-23-2006, 12:15 AM

Smile

We just went to an even faster high speed access....about the speed of regular broadband, however, it has tended to go offline without warning, so we do not always have NCIC/TCIC (for Texas) instantly available....when that happens we have to go "old school" and use the radio .

I hope to have more material on my website soon. I finished the primer and sanded to 220 grit tonight on the bottom of the wings and canard. About 99% of what I want. So, now to flip 'em over and strart on the tops and the winglets.

And, no, I have not yet seen SuperTroopers, however, my fellow officers strongly suggest I do.

All the best,

Chris
Old 03-21-2006, 10:32 PM
MarkIV N513DP Cozy540Xtra

Default D-100

Chris, I am really looking forward to probably buying a D-100 like that one der dat yous has got! I was wunderin if after playing with it - if you are able to critique it? It looks great to me-
Does it have any CDI or GPs or is it strictly an EFIS? I want to get the matching 7" EMS for the rightside driver. I think in doing that-that I can trade EFIS info between the two R & L screens as well as split screen both.. Can you split screen with the EMS on your D-100?
Questions ahoy! TIA, Den
Old 03-22-2006, 12:23 AM

I really like it from the bit that I have played with it. It is pretty much just an EFIS, which for me, I kinda like. Since it is my primary "six-pack" I kinda like it being a dedicated unit. Dynon keeps making rumblings about it getting a basic gps and "other" featurs, but they do not really give details (guess that is the way business is). I do think it gives great bang for the buck and Dynon does say they want to take advantage of the extra real estate the larger display allows, things that would not have been able to be well done on the small display.

Most if not all of the extra information I have on Dynon is based on reading their forums. They tend to try to answer pretty openly, just not very many details.......hedging their bets I suppose. (such as the prototype heated pitot tube from a couple of years ago that has not yet come to being as a product)

In the area of IP stuff, I am putting in a 8 inch "Lilliput" touchscreen display monitor hooked up to an older "Toughbook" computer to use with Anywhere Map. The touchscreen TFT LCD are only about $250.00 hooked to a bit older dedicated notebook computer and Anywhere map should give me a "pretty" moving map (we also have a few year old Aviation GPS with a very basic moving map).....we can alsos split screen and watch movies <g>. I am debating whether to try to mount it on the IP or use the AnywhereMap yoke mount or knee mount they offer for their 8.4 inch touchscreen computers. Time will tell since panel space is at a premium with all the older IFR instuments my building buddy has gotten for the project.

Also, here is another "Smiley" we may be able to use (like when certifed guys/gals lecture us on experimentals and/or using automotive tech in our birds)

All the best,

Chris

I THINK that is the index fingure being waved
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2006, 12:19 PM
Back to square one

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBarber
In the area of IP stuff, I am putting in a 8 inch "Lilliput" touchscreen display monitor hooked up to an older "Toughbook" computer to use with Anywhere Map.
Make sure you get a solid-state replacement for the hard drive. I hadn't though about this before, but the head instructor at my club had mentioned that a few members found out that their laptops crashed somewhere in the range of 10,000 to 12,500 MSL, because the heads in the hard drive did not have enough air to keep the heads from crashing into the platters. These pilots were using PC-based GPS and IFR flight planning software, and had to dig out the charts (which one of them forgot to pack). That's why none of the EFIS systems on the market use hard drives.

My guess is that this applies equally to iPods as entertainment systems, unless you use the shuffle, nano or any other flash-based MP3 player.

-- Len
-- Len Evansic, Cozy Mk. IV Plans #1283
Do you need a customized Flightline Chair?
Old 03-23-2006, 12:37 PM
Future Cozy Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by levansic
I hadn't though about this before, but the head instructor at my club had mentioned that a few members found out that their laptops crashed somewhere in the range of 10,000 to 12,500 MSL, because the heads in the hard drive did not have enough air to keep the heads from crashing into the platters.
Precisely. Just off the top of my desk, the 3 drives sitting here all are limited to 8-10kft MSL operation altitude. Above that, the'd need a different aerodynamic shape to the heads to keep them floating. And since every drive I've seen in the last 10 years has had a gore-tex or similar breather hole, you're SOL as far as hard drives in unpressureized aircraft. There are CF cards out there now >2GB, so you can easily do that for a small system. They do have limited read/write cycles though, so don't plan on using one for a swap partition or running WinXP Pro on it

-dave