Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > New Member Introductions
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2006, 06:21 AM

Default such a thing as a custom builder?

Hi Folks,

Seems like you have a great board on the go here, I've been reading for days, and I have to say this "Newbie Wimp" account is a great idea!

Gettin to my question the long way around......... I want a velocity XL they're beautifull and so perfect in form for me I cannot beleive it! The problem is the same reason I like it so much! I'm a paraplegic, and the gull wing door to seat height would be the best setup I've ever seen for getting in and out of an airplane, but because I'm in a chair it would make the allready mountainous task of building the kit next to impossible.

Just going out and buying someone elses used kit plane scares the hell out of me, trusting my life to a strangers workmanship without even being able to properly inspect all of it is not something I'm eager to do. So........ Is there such a thing as a custom builder of these kits, and if so what sort of astronomical numbers would a person be looking at when everything was said and done?

Sorry for the long windedness and thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:52 AM
Rotary Powered Velocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie Wimp
Just going out and buying someone elses used kit plane scares the hell out of me, trusting my life to a strangers workmanship without even being able to properly inspect all of it is not something I'm eager to do.
You trust your life to a stranger's workmanship it in any aircraft.. some are just better supervised (factory built) than others..

Quote:
So........ Is there such a thing as a custom builder of these kits, and if so what sort of astronomical numbers would a person be looking at when everything was said and done?

"Professional" builders exist, and taking that course of action really runs counter to the stance the FAA has regarding Experimental-Amatuer Built. The builder is permitted to build their own aircraft for educational purposes... a professional builder doing so for profit doesn't fit that bill..

Your best bet is to find an already built one that is ALREADY FLYING and purchase that. Your next best bet is to look though trade-a-plane and such, and look for aircraft that were built by a "professional" builder and inquire directly to those people and ask what they would want for your task. For a fully functional XL.. I wouldnt be surprised to see $150-200k total turn key cost.

Dave
Old 04-18-2006, 10:03 AM

Default Mk-IV as an accessible aircraft?

I was just thinking, wouldn't a Cozy III or IV with its nose wheel retracted and a couple strategically positioned grab handles be fairly accessible to folks requiring wheel chairs? Especially if it had a beefy Cozy Girl style strake? Entry procedure would be to slide from chair onto strake, swing legs in, load wheel chair into right hand seat or rear seats, and then slide from strake to pilot's seat; reverse procedure to get out. The side opening canopy should be perfect for this. Hand controls for rudders/brakes could be placed where center console/heat ducts are.
One of my wife's best friends is a high functional level quadrapalegic, uses similar procedure to drive his BMW. (He will not be seen in a van, period.)
Old 04-18-2006, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Sorry for the long windedness and thanks for any help you can offer.
No apologies needed here. What part of the country are you from, or i should say world? if in a place with many wanna be builders and builders and fliers-maybe we could arrange for ALLOT of help for you.

on this forum we call it a "plane day" nothing fancy, just a day when a builder opens up his shop for just plane work.

Welded together rotisaries to turn the parts for ease of work would help allot.

where are you at?
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 04-18-2006, 12:27 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

I'm pretty sure Mike Watson (Velocity owner in my hangar) knows a paraplegic who flies a Velocity. Might be a good contact.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:53 PM

Thanks for the quick answers folks.

Kilowhiskey I hadn't considered the cozy I'll give it some thought but I think I'm allready in love with the sports coupe-esque interior and lines of the velocity. I know exactly how your wifes friend feels though, no van for me either trhank you, a half ton and a mustang convertible are my rides.

Dust, I'm in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:27 AM

isint that just 2 hours from me ?(washington state) i got lots you can build
if you can sit around all day.....you can steeeer mico..lol
my twin lost the use of his legs in the last 10 years of his life
and we would engineer ways to get him out and about..boat,plane,est
lots of cool stuff we did, he would help me with all kinds of stuff and i would change his spark plus and remove the dents from his cars(he was a bad driver)lol.
he was drunk one night and a cop said "GET OUT OF THE CAR SIR"
LOL, he said but a cant walk, and the cop insisted, so he smiled and said ok.
he opened the door and fell right on his face,and at the same time the cop saw the wheel chair behind his seat,he quicky helped my brother back into the drivers seat and wished him a speedy and safe drive home
Old 04-19-2006, 04:12 PM
G.Norman

Find a builder partner for that Velo. Half the cost plus LOTS of bench work. Or do like my GF and I do. She pays for the materials, I do the sweat.