Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > New Member Introductions
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2006, 06:39 PM

Default Newbie.... totally, But I refuse to be known as "wimp" any longer :P

Hey Everyone,

I'm Cory, I recently posted as newbie-wimp wondering about custom builders. I just thought I'd say hello officially and get in on being part of the community
Old 04-19-2006, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

welcome aboard wheels. coupla years ago i was standing in line at an eatery and a guy had a cool lookin black wheelchair. i mentioned it too him, as my friends melted away of embarrassment cause i noticed that he was in a wheel chair, the look on his face was electric - he said "just got it last week - 18 lbs - it's GREAT"

Great thing about these canards - they do coordinated turns without the use of the rudders. still have to figure out rudder controls but in the scheme of things - very, very doable. cozy is side stick - would be easy to clear as you slid yourself in, just have to figure out a center/right hand rudder control system for cross wind landings.

anyone with any ideas?

i'm thinkin that two side sticks and a center rudder and brake control would make the plane two seat flyable for wheels in both seats.

brakes - mmmm - that may be a problem - maybe you will have to get power assist??
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 04-19-2006, 08:43 PM

Personally I'd steer you towards the Velocity. It's bigger, with easier access through the gull-wing doors.

The Cozy also has highly reclined seating, which requires you to fit your legs underneath the instrument panel. It's a tight fit and would be tough without full mobility.

If you are interested in a Cozy, you'd definitely want to make it wider, and probably change the instrument panel somewhat give you more leg room. I have 3D CAD models and have completely redesigned the fuselage, so I could certainly offer some more specific customization suggestions.

But it might be tough to get a professional builder to also redesign the plane for you.

Personally, I'd go to Oshkosh, where you'll have an opportunity to size up just about every kit plane out there. If you're set on a canard, then I'd think hard about buying a used Velocity and modifying it to meet your needs. Certainly less expensive than hiring professional builders to build one from scratch.
Plans #000

Redesigned 4-place canard.
500+ hrs into prototype build, Start Oct. 1, 05

(also build a MkIV fuselage, w/plans #1279)
Old 04-19-2006, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

On buying a used velo or other canard - it can be done and done without fear. there arte A&P's around that can do a wonderful prepurchase inspection for you

they are rare but i'm sure we can dig one up. Lynn - you knows of any?
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 04-19-2006, 11:42 PM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaleDC
If you are interested in a Cozy, you'd definitely want to make it wider, and probably change the instrument panel somewhat give you more leg room. I have 3D CAD models and have completely redesigned the fuselage, so I could certainly offer some more specific customization suggestions.
Or do the Greg Richter floating IP mod... that would probably work really well.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:11 AM

or. may be with some smooth talking in this forum you could get a comitment
from 20 or so active builders to each build you a part? just send the fome and what -nots to the builder and get a finish time set up.
the final bigger lay ups could be done in a hager some were(never/dust).
its sounds like its a nutty idea but i bet with the right driveing force you could pull it off.

i live in wa, so id do you some small stuff so ups will not own it befer you do
part 1.........steve........f22
next...
Old 04-20-2006, 01:16 PM

I'm going to have to figure out what airplane I'd want for certain, and what sort of timeframe I'd be looking at before anything else happens. I certainly do appretiate the sentiment's here though people, great bunch!
Old 04-22-2006, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Have you flown with "hand brakes"
dust

Old 04-26-2006, 07:16 AM

No I have yet to do any kind f flying post injury.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Well, the cozy and longs use frieze(SP) ailerons (i don't knows about the velo) and u don't need rudder input during flight - that will make the workload easier.

have you talked to anyone about what it takes for braking?

On buying a completed bird - builders are planning on flying these planes and the normal building job is done GREAT. Just hang around and listen at how paranoid we all is on doin a good job. heh heh heh

Also the cozy and longs and probably the berkut (i just don't know enough about the velo to speak) are not engineered to just be strong enough for flight - i feel they are over engineered to allow for gross builder error.

these planes do not fall apart, so long as you attach canard bolts and wing bolts, laugh, but they have been forgotten with dire results.
dust

Old 04-26-2006, 01:43 PM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust
Have you flown with "hand brakes"

I have when I was flying ultralights. Of course we either had steerable nose wheels... or you had to be a bit more creative.... power+pull back+rudder = turn.

I'm not sure from a safety standpoint how you would do handbrakes in a Cozy. You honestly would need something like an Ercoupe setup on the steering and just a one handle for both brakes setup.