Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > New Member Introductions
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2006, 05:36 PM
builder wannabe

Default NZ noob

Greetings, my first post.

This Cozy MK-IV is closing its grip on me, I can feel it.

question: how long to build the aircraft working full-time on it ? (like 40 hours/week)

About me: I run a small delivery business from home and I know about stuff like ;
refrigeration, Linux/Internet, X-Plane, electronics, engines/mechanical, and uhh, a lot of stuff that doesnt immediately spring to mind. I have done a little work with polyester FRP (fixed a boat, other general repair).

I have a PPL sans BFR (120 hours) C172, PA28, PA32, CT4, Paraglider. X-Plane (60 hours) Turbine Parwan , Cozy MK-IV , R22 , KingAir B-200 , etc.

I think my wife is horrified I'd start building an aeroplane - too many other things not finished. It would be a struggle for me to stay with the plans I think, but If I start then I want it on-wheels and looking shiney - she loves shiney things with wheels

I am generally a innovator and a goon and have no idea of my limitations, until I get into the drivers seat and then it is a serious business..

I think I would take the "plans - dont read way ahead" approach.

Kudos to the Fathers, and the movers and shakers, and now I will get something useful done.

best regards,
Steve

home field - NZWK
http://meshnetworks.co.nz/~steve/Co-...h_tauranga.jpg
Old 06-15-2006, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWrightNZ
I think my wife is horrified I'd start building an aeroplane - too many other things not finished.
step 1 - finish everything that you have unfinished - good practice.

how long does it take - answer - as long as it takes
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 06-16-2006, 05:02 PM
builder wannabe

Hi Dust,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust
step 1 - finish everything that you have unfinished - good practice.
it doesnt work though.. more unfinished things appear like leaks around a canopy.

Quote:
how long does it take - answer - as long as it takes
It seems 2500 hours is the number I need - "a year and a bit". Is this for the rolling airframe, or the completed aircraft ? Would the time be 50/50 between the rolling airframe and the finished item ?

Would the 13B turbo "mod" be an extra 1,000 hours work? More? It seems a lot has been shaken down with the rotaries now.

I like the "plane day" concept, and roping the unexpected into assisting. I might even be able to get a grant to teach some teenagers about glassing.

It seems my namesake makes nose gear.. curious.. Theres another of me who's a comedian, and another who is a radio host in the UK.

Is anyone else familiar with the GPL license ? It seems a good way to distribute hardware, but have the design remain owned by the community.

cheers,
Steve
http://meshnetworks.co.nz/~steve/DSCF0463.JPG
Old 06-16-2006, 05:47 PM
G.Norman

Dust, this guy knows too much. I think he's been a lurker for a long time before joining.

Steve, you sound like most of us. First step - get the plans. The step by step setup of the plans go from real easy to more complex as you go. The great thing about the plans is that there is no room for boredom. You try something new and different with every chapter.

Word of caution: Don't make a goal date. Like Dust says, "enjoy the build". If you're not having fun building, quit before dumping all your time and money in it and go buy a spam can.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:35 PM
builder wannabe

Hi, point well taken.

yes, I hear the plans are more "a very interesting course in composite plane building - you get to keep the plane afterwards" which is real neat. I'm sure I will enjoy this.

The thing is, I have taken a year off work, and it seems to me I can have a rolling airframe at the end of this time. So it is not so much like I am making a deadline, but more like "I will go hammer-and-tongs at this for a year - and what result should I reasonably expect." It seems "a rolling airframe" is a good indicative answer.

S
Old 06-16-2006, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

a year off work - get your order in - after a year of more than full time building - you might have a completed plane - it HAS been done in 1800 hours
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 06-16-2006, 10:59 PM

Steve
It can be done. I built my E Racer in 18 months and took off 3 months to help finish a cozy 4. The E Racer is a little more complex with retractable gear. Takes a lot of dedication but working on it full time should motivate you because you will see the progress much sooner. Good luck, if you have a question use the forum, there are a lot of talented guys and girls that can answer any questions you might have.

Jack
E Racer113
Old 06-17-2006, 12:40 AM

Quote:
....it HAS been done in 1800 hours
By whom?
Old 06-17-2006, 01:01 AM

It took me 15 months, 50-60 hrs a week. At 50 hr a week , that is 2600 hrs in a year, at 60 hr a week = +3100 hrs a year. 1800 hrs, gees, how many arms does this creature have? can't be human because I can out produce almost anyone that I know of. 15 months at 50hr is 3200 hrs, I figured I had 3500 hrs to complete my project the first time.

Jack
E Racer113
Old 06-17-2006, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer113
1800 hrs, gees, how many arms does this creature have?..... 15 months at 50hr is 3200 hrs, I figured I had 3500 hrs to complete my project the first time.
That's why I asked :-).
Old 06-19-2006, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

18 18 18 18

heh heh heh - memory worked perfect for numbers - just not for the words after them - not hundred hours - months 18 months 18 months 18 months

he is a young man - probably worked during the build ifin my memory worked correctly
dust

Old 06-19-2006, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

SO - my statement still stands - a year of more than full time building ought to get you way into the project, one problem will be keeping supplies in stock. things like the landing gear strut and metal parts have quite a long delivery time and would have to be ordered almost day 1.
dust

Old 06-19-2006, 11:45 AM

Quote:
he is a young man - probably worked during the build ifin my memory worked correctly
But you have no idea who it might be, huh? There's only one person I know of that's finished a COZY MKIV in 18 months, and that was because he purchased completed wings, completed canard, completed spar, and IIRC, a finished tub. He only did the final assembly and finishing.

If you don't know who you're talking about, it's hard to know if this is the same person, or if there is some other magician out there. Is it POSSIBLE that someone built a whole MKIV in 18 months? Yeah, it's POSSIBLE. But I've never heard of it being done, so it would be nice if there was an actual reference to a real person, rather than a nebulous claim with no backup.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Can't remember his name, but the pic of his plane is on the top of this page - you know more details - than why not give em instead of complaining. Mark B. don't want to mispell his name, i think
dust

Old 06-19-2006, 12:47 PM
Finally at Chapter 4!

Was it Steve Brooks that built his in 18 months?
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...ions/76225.gif