Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > New Member Introductions
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2006, 06:30 PM

Default Cozy builders in DFW area?

Simply overwhelmed with the whole concept of building. The closest SportAir workshop is in Houston which isn't practical. Hoping to discuss and look at a project first hand so that I can get started. Homemaker6 has approved the budget and use of the garage. I'm in Grapevine which is five minutes from the DFW airport.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:58 PM
Cozy With A Cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaindan
Simply overwhelmed with the whole concept of building. The closest SportAir workshop is in Houston which isn't practical. Hoping to discuss and look at a project first hand so that I can get started. Homemaker6 has approved the budget and use of the garage. I'm in Grapevine which is five minutes from the DFW airport.
First of all, welcome to the Canard Community Go to this website http://www.unc.edu/~gorczows/cozy.html It's a map of Canard aircraft builders. I'm not sure how current it is, but it's a start. Good luck!

Best Regards,
Old 06-29-2006, 10:50 AM
Starting chapter 14 !!!

Quote:
A workshop would be good, but certainly not a must. Just order up the Ch. 3 practice kit and get started. It covers enough of the basics to give you a good idea of whats going on and most definately enough to get started. Ch. 4 is set up to continue to teach as you go. By the time you get thru Ch. 5, you will be well on your way, and could probably teach one of the workshops. Stay close to the forums, and ask any questions and post pics to help discuss your concerns. Just like me and many others have done and are doing.

The greatest advice is to not wait, but get started, the rest will come. You can only learn so much of this build by reading and watching, you must start doing, and you will learn soooooo much more.

Kraig
Old 06-29-2006, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig
Just order up the Ch. 3 practice kit and get started.Kraig
You know - never did do the practice layups - maybe i should do em now.

Chapter 4 is scarry, scarry stuff - easy, but scarry
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 06-29-2006, 07:18 PM
Starting chapter 14 !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust
You know - never did do the practice layups - maybe i should do em now.

Chapter 4 is scarry, scarry stuff - easy, but scarry
Scarry Schmarry,
It was so easy, I did it twice!!!
Kraig
Old 06-29-2006, 11:53 PM

Quote:

I'm in east Dallas building a MKIV currently glassing the tops of the strakes. Built a LongEZ in the 80's, which now has over 2000hrs of wonderful flight.
You are welcome any time.

Scott (214) 632 1272
Old 06-30-2006, 12:30 AM

Hmmmm, both Sprotair workshops I went to were in Dallas (composites & electrical). I hadn't noticed they were gonna be in Houston. The only class I still really would like to take is on welding, as I hang my head in shame as a man who has yet to learn to weld, and I don't think they usually offer that outside their Georgia location.

I did find the classes useful, if not a bit expensive. The composite class while not totaly needed gave me a BIG boost of confidence in starting my Velo project 3 months following the class.

Chris
Old 07-01-2006, 02:48 PM

Default Welcome

Hello captaindan,

I am in the North Plano area building a MKIV. I have finished the fuselage and am just completing the main spar. I am going to purchase the canard and main wing supplies at Oshkosh this year.

You are welcome to observe the chaos if you wish. Just let me know.

Later.

Quote:
Old 07-01-2006, 05:41 PM
Rotary Powered Velocity

Quote:
Simply overwhelmed with the whole concept of building. The closest SportAir workshop is in Houston which isn't practical.
Dan,

I took a sport air workshop with Chris Barber up in Dallas..they held it at the Skyview (i think thats the name of it) high school on the east side of Dallas, maybe in the burbs.. It comes through once a year or so. We flew up from Houston and stayed in a hotel over the weekend..

If its the lodging that makes Houston not a practical trip, I will spot a fellow wanna be canardian a place to stay for the weekend involved. I live in league city, about 20 mins from Hobby Airport (which is essentially where the Houston workshops are held... at the A&P school across the street).

If thats a workable idea for you, let me know by private message and we can work out the details.. and while you are at it you could also come take a look at a few fiberglass aircraft based where we are.