Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > New Member Introductions
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2006, 11:56 PM

Default Reformed Lurker

Hi All,

I've been lurking for the past six months or so. In that time I've really enjoyed the discussions, and have learned a bit as well. Thanks to everyone who make this a great place.

I've been hooked on canards since my teens, and like many others it was the Long EZ that hooked me. I would still love to build one, but I think the utility of a Cozy IV will make it the design of choice when it comes time to start the build.

I'm planning on making it to Rough River this year, so I look forward to seeing you all there.

Ryan
Old 06-29-2006, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome aboard - see ya around the forum and at RR
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 06-29-2006, 10:16 AM
G.Norman

Great! Welcome.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:26 PM

Welcome aboard! I'm always happy to see more builders in GA. (Myself not included just yet) Let me know closer to time if you are doing RR by yourself and we may be able to share a ride.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:02 PM

Marble,

I also can't claim to be a builder yet... even worse I expect two more years before I can start. I'm about to move to Ohio, so I'd probably be a bit out of your way.

Ryan
Old 06-29-2006, 10:09 PM

Ohio? Did you know it SNOWS up there in Winter?
Old 06-29-2006, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan D.
Marble,

I also can't claim to be a builder yet... even worse I expect two more years before I can start. I'm about to move to Ohio, so I'd probably be a bit out of your way.

Ryan
Oh yea? which corner?
Old 06-29-2006, 11:21 PM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarbleTurtle
Yeah, unfortunatly it does. I almost got stuck there one COLD (-2F) snowy night in a C421 that fried its starter. I was not looking forward to staying in an FBO that was about the size of and remeniscant of a truck stop bathroom. Good thing the pilot had the good sense not to shutdown the engines after the electrical system failed.

Amazingly it was one of the most beautiful VFR nights I have seen in a long time. Didnt see a cloud the whole night.

Ohio is not much but fields and cows from my experiences flying over it. I wish you luck
Old 06-30-2006, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonC
Ohio is not much but fields and cows from my experiences flying over it. I wish you luck
Oh goodness... another "fly-over country" person? The cities can actually be quite nice, and we have *alot* of GA airports, and lots of nice flat fields for engine out events. Always freaks me out to cross the river, where Kentucky has very few airports and an order of magnitude fewer flat spots. And, hey, where else can you get *this* close to sea level without a beach?
Old 06-30-2006, 11:44 AM

Quote:
It depends on where you are in Ohio as to what you call snow. I used to live in "The Snow Belt", when the news reported that Hopkins recorded 2" of snow we usually had 10" to 12" of the beautiful white stuff. if we only got 4" to 6" than that was just a dusting not a snow storm. Now that I live just south of the snow belt I rarely have to even clear my drive of the stuff. I also agree with bferrell, there are alot of very nice towns and villages in Ohio, and the availablilty of GA airports is amazing. I live with 10 miles of 6 airports.

Since I joined the group my Wife has agreed to allow me to purchase a set of plans for the Cozy, hopefully within the next month or two I'll be ordering them. So I will probably be much mora active here.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshadowknows
Since I joined the group my Wife has agreed to allow me to purchase a set of plans for the Cozy
congrats - now - or in a month - the fun begins

BTW - I love snow, just don't get enough of it here and it melts way too fast
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 06-30-2006, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah, snow but no sweet tea

bfarrell, I'll be in Dayton.

Ryan
Old 06-30-2006, 09:02 PM
LEz - N555LE Q - N555QA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bferrell
Oh goodness... another "fly-over country" person? The cities can actually be quite nice, and we have *alot* of GA airports, and lots of nice flat fields for engine out events. Always freaks me out to cross the river, where Kentucky has very few airports and an order of magnitude fewer flat spots. And, hey, where else can you get *this* close to sea level without a beach?
I've been to a few airports there and walked around. I know there are two airports that are friggen identical right down to the buildings, the only difference is the runway headings. We almost landed at the wrong one at first.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan D.
Yeah, snow but no sweet tea

bferrell, I'll be in Dayton.

Ryan
Excellent, welcome to the neighborhood. If you want any help settling in, plane-building-wise let me know. We're in the hinterland between Cincy and Dayton, but are close to both, and I've got contacts at Chapter 48 as well, on the south side of Dayton (two Velocity's, though I don't know of any Cozy's) and my chapter (974) has two vari's, a long, a dragonfly, a (hopefully) soon-to-be Velocity, and Cozy builder who's starting to do finishing work on his strakes and fuselage.

Oh, and some places do have sweet tea, but they'll ask you which you want, unlike my time in dear Albany, GA where they're sure that's what you wanted.

Brett
Old 07-02-2006, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Excellent, welcome to the neighborhood. If you want any help settling in, plane-building-wise let me know. We're in the hinterland between Cincy and Dayton, but are close to both, and I've got contacts at Chapter 48 as well, on the south side of Dayton (two Velocity's, though I don't know of any Cozy's) and my chapter (974) has two vari's, a long, a dragonfly, a (hopefully) soon-to-be Velocity, and Cozy builder who's starting to do finishing work on his strakes and fuselage.
Wow, I was already excited about the move, but it keeps getting better. It sounds like I'm going to be in the thick of things with Chapters 48 and 974 near by, Rough River within easy driving distance and Dust up north.

Work is going to keep me pretty busy while I'm in Dayton but I definitely want to put some time in as a helper if anyone will have me. In fact I'd like to help the Cozy builder who is doing the finishing on his plane. This is one of the parts of building a composite plane that I'm worried about. I think some hands on experience would put this fear to bed. That being said, I'm not picky about what stage of the build or what airframe I help out with as this will make my decision on what plane to build that much more informed.

Ryan