Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > New Member Introductions
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2006, 06:25 AM

Default Birdwatcher, flightless.

I have wandered the webways for several years looking, learning and dreaming about building a canard. Some builders websites have ragged edges from my frequent perusal. Rich Guerra (Velocity XLRG) in particular probably has had to replace a hard drive or something because of me. Slade too and Zeitlan. I am probably no closer to actually flying because I still need to learn to fly but hey, you need to know what you are going to be spending your hard earned cash on. So hello everyone!
As a side note, A gentleman by the name of Fred Schauer showed up where I work to present a coloquium on a Pulse Detonation Engine he has developed and now installed on a LongEze built at Scaled Composites. (Marc Z, you around?) I gather that he showed up at AirVenture last summer. He has since run the engine and plans to do some research at my place of work on the induction system to improve output. A really nice guy Fred. As are all of you from what I read. I thank you in advance for all the (potential) help and for what i've already gleaned.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:52 PM
Starting chapter 14 !!!

Greetings Mr. Finhead,

I am always happy to hear from a builder or potential builder from my neck of the woods. Keep in touch.

Kraig
Old 07-03-2006, 04:58 PM
builder wannabe

Default learn to fly in your own homebuilt ?

hiya MrFinHead

Scuba ?

I think you can learn to fly in your own homebuilt.

Folks may argue that the canards are too fast for ab-initio pilots, and it is true that the numbers are high and care must be taken. However, they are just numbers, and provided you do not realize this, and you have ample sealed runway and you should be able to relax and just stay on the numbers. Later you will marvel at the slowness of the cessnas and pipers.

Of course, there is the dilemma of flight testing (the new aircraft) - who will do this ? It is supposed to be you, but of course you should emphatically NOT being doing this as a pilot with 8-12 hours. A test pilot might do it, but at what cost..

There will be other dilemmas as well, but solvable very likely.

--
SteveWrightNZ
* PADI diver
Old 07-03-2006, 10:45 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Welcome,
As Steve says, learning to fly in a Canard could be bad for your health. I wouldn't recommend it. Like giving a 16 year old a 1500cc race bike to learn on. You need time to absorb the details. A 172 gives you that, but you wont think so the first time you fly one. Quite apart from anything to do with handling, the Cozy travels over the ground very quickly. Flying into the wrong area at the wrong time can be a big problem these days.

The Canard will cost you $50k or more to build over the years. Learning to fly in a 172 will cost 10% of that. Just start building. The flying will come later. The only thing you'll ever regret is that you didn't start sooner

John Slade
Advanced Diver Certified
Old 07-03-2006, 11:01 PM

i'm not so sure of all that?
being a noob at the hole canard thing just flu one sat, and having less then .4 under the stick, i feel like i was born to fly one.
but you mite want to bone up on your -G cuzz your stomach wont like it
a can tell you it will never be the same flying in a 172
Old 07-04-2006, 10:36 PM
builder wannabe

-G ?
Old 07-05-2006, 12:26 AM

Negative G forces... or positive ones for that matter. The Cozy is capable of pulling more G's than the average person can handle without a nap.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:20 AM
builder wannabe

Default epoxy water tank - baby steps

ahh. I thought the minus was significant.

I'm gunna build a 240 litre epoxy water tank after the holidays - for a chilled water dispenser. It seems people will actually pay two bucks for a pint of ice-cold micro-filtered water, hee hee. My first real epoxy thing - will pay for itself real fast. Getting there. I'm thinking mold all the corners, sides etc seperate, then tack them with 5min epoxy or cyanoacrylate and then tape the joins. Mold the corners over box tape over wood dowel. Have a play with peel ply tape perhaps. Better get me a roller and a squeegee. I've learned a whole lot reading folks' Cozy sites.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWrightNZ
ahh. I thought the minus was significant. ...
I'm gunna build a 240 litre epoxy water tank after the holidays - for a chilled water dispenser. It seems people will actually pay two bucks for a pint of ice-cold micro-filtered water, hee hee. My first real epoxy thing -
Steve, if you're thinking of holding drinking water in a glass/epoxy tank, rather than simply building an enormous foam/glass cooler chest for holding the actual tank, You might first consider bulding a smaller trial tank, flushing it out with something a number of times, load with water and let it sit for some time, and then send some of that water to an objective water testing company to see what the ppm of nasty stuff is in the water. Seems you could find more nasty stuff in that water than many would want to injest.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:54 AM

Default Thanks for the welcome plus details.

To answer SteveWrightNZ, snorkeler but Finhead primarily refers to my other moneywasters, windsurfing and now kiteboarding. Unfortunately, windsurfing in New Mexico is like trying to grow cactus in a jungle, hard to get it dry enough. Which is why it took me 15 years to get good... I appreciate your comments, John as I think that it was your advice to build Cozy's because the initial investment was low and you could enter into the work in a graded fashion without taking a bath on initial purchase costs. Although, I think the Velocity RG is sooooo goood lookin'! Obviously, this is all a bit over my head at this point. Thanks for the insights pro/con on making a canard your first (learning) plane. All this is good "grain for the mill." I need to get started before my boys (10,8 and 5 ) leave the house so I'll have lots of sanding help. Riiiight, I can't get them to pick up after themselves so maybe I just dreamin some more.Anyway, I'll be mostly going back to lurk mode until I have actual materials and plans and questions etc. I am familiar with the major fly-ins at Oshkosh and slightly familiar with Copperstate (sp?) in Phoenix(??) but at this stage I need to find a fly-in with-in DRIVING distance to get I and the Significant Wife warmed up to the whole idea. Any recommendations within say 700+/- ground miles of Northern N.M.?
Finally, Anyone flying in the neighborhood of Los Alamos that needs a ride or a place to bed down, feel free to contact me and I'll do what I can within the constraints of forewarning and the wife.
Adios for now.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:14 AM
builder wannabe

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt
Steve, if you're thinking of holding drinking water in a glass/epoxy tank [....] send some of that water to an objective water testing company to see what the ppm of nasty stuff is in the water.
nah, this is New Zealand. We dont care about that crap here.

Seriously though, if it doesnt contaminate Aviation Gasoline, then it will likely be fine with plain ol' water. I'll micro-filter and chill it during the dispense. But yeah if it tastes like shet I'll have to sell it on ebay.

S
Old 07-06-2006, 02:23 AM
builder wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFinhead
To answer SteveWrightNZ, snorkeler but Finhead primarily refers to my other moneywasters, windsurfing and now kiteboarding.
Whee! Great fun! I did a bit of paragliding before I had a major scare. Leaping off mountain sides with an overgrown raincoat.. http://meshnetworks.co.nz/~steve/LocknLoad.jpg

Quote:
I need to get started before my boys (10,8 and 5) leave the house so I'll have lots of sanding help.
They are sooo gunna love having a real plane. Boys and planes go together real good.. aint that right boys..

I got two kids 12-13 and they are pretty excited about the idea. Mum remains ho-hum
Old 07-06-2006, 10:55 AM
Starting chapter 14 !!!

Quote:
I am familiar with the major fly-ins at Oshkosh and slightly familiar with Copperstate (sp?) in Phoenix(??) but at this stage I need to find a fly-in with-in DRIVING distance to get I and the Significant Wife warmed up to the whole idea. Any recommendations within say 700+/- ground miles of Northern N.M.?
If you want one fly-in to help convince the wife, forget driving. Get a couple cheap Southwest tickets to Kentucky, and drive down to Rough River for theirs. You will see about 65-85 Canards of all flavors and get to talk to some great flyers and builders. You might even get to go for a ride. (I did!). If this does not do it, no other fly-in will.

Kraig
Old 07-06-2006, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWrightNZ
nah, this is New Zealand. We dont care about that crap here.

Seriously though, if it doesnt contaminate Aviation Gasoline, then it will likely be fine with plain ol' water. I'll micro-filter and chill it during the dispense. But yeah if it tastes like shet I'll have to sell it on ebay.

S
Cancer of internal human organs is real and more than a threat. Past versions of epoxy systems used to be terrible in that respect. Sounds like you need to familiarize yourself with the toxic tendecies of these systems. I sure wouldn't use it to make a drinking cup. Just trying to give a heads-up.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:31 PM
builder wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt
Just trying to give a heads-up.
Ok thanks. Didnt mean to be a jerk.