Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Plane Specific Questions Tips, Tricks Area for All Canard Kits and Plans Planes
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2005, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Default Installing Main Spar

Tip i picked up from Marc's list years ago and used - when we installed the main spar, we set it off level to the front by three tenths.

When we hung the wings on, they are swept rearward, they were level. The weight of the rear wing torques the spar .3 tenths a degree and if you install the main spar level, you will have to shim the wings level.

weight savings - 2 or three washers - who hooooooo
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 02-19-2005, 12:14 PM
LongEZ-RG

I'm not sure what method you're using when installing the spar. A procedure I used (LongEZ) was to bolt the wings to the spar, then install the spar/wings as a unit. This allowed for perfect alingment of the wings in relation to the fuselage. It takes a lot of room, but only for a day!

Waiter
Old 02-19-2005, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Understand, But, you still have the weight problem, during the installation, you have to support the weight of the wings and when you take that support away, the rear weight of the wings will slightly twist the main spar
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 02-19-2005, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

You know Mr. Waiter, dammmmmmmmm it - you may have a point. We did all this before we built the strakes - the strakes may, just may stop the torquing effect and now maybe we have to put the washers on the other way

I hate it when i have to think, let alone rethink.

Won't put this as a tip until i remount the wings and test it out - our workshop is large enough now
dust

Old 02-19-2005, 01:51 PM
LongEZ-RG

I Think your Center spar is a "C" , The LongEZ is a BOX. The Long will support the weight of the wings without torquing, I think the "C" may torque. (you would know this better than I). The intent was to align the wings in relation to the fuselage.

This method (Mounting as complete unit) would automatically correct for any misalignments induced by a Centerspar that was slightly out of specification. i.e. if the CS had a little twist, or wasn't centered correctly. I think my centerspar is actually mounted 1/4 off center, and a very slight nose down pitch But if you measure the wing geometry, its perfect. They're centered, level, and the sweep is perfectly symetrical. One Shim, but this was installed when we aligned the wings to the centerspar, before installing the unit on the fuselage.

If I had mounted the CS per plans, I would have had shims to correct for the slight pitch down, and the wings would be off center by 1/4 inch. (Nothing you can do about that)

Waiter
Old 02-19-2005, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Think the spar is identical - only more layers for the top and bottom spar cap because of the increased plane weight
dust

Old 02-19-2005, 02:36 PM
LongEZ-RG

Sorry, I was thinking of a Cozy IV (I think) had a "C". I seem to remember we looked to see how much flexibility there was between the two sides, Hold one side down and twist the other side. I don't recall seeing any, but are your wings a little larger?

Waiter
Old 02-19-2005, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

I think they are the same, except for thicker spar caps
dust