Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > Talk All About Canard Aviation > Shop Tips, Methods and Equipment
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2009, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Default Learned of new thread - NPS

Well, the thread for the fuel sumps is 1/8 NPS, never heard of it before.

It is just like NPT except it is straight and requires a gasket to seal, wonder if the two i have in the tanks are NPT or NPS, I'll see when i insert the sump if it bottoms out properly or needs to be fixed.

NPT = national pipe Tapered, I thought it stood for "thread"
NPS = national pipe Straight

Love learnin new stuff
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 06-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Learned of new thread - NPS

Well, last evening i was in the shop spifin up the heated pitot tube heat shield D10 surround on the lathe, drilling out 3/16 sleeves and brackets 1/64 oversize so the bolts actually fit through them and thought to check the thread on the fuel sump hard points my brother in law made for the fuel strakes.

They are NPT, not NPS, no problem, i'll just carefully clean up the ones already installed in the tanks later with the NPS tap so the fitting fits close to the skin, as designed.

Also double checked with my A&P on he threading and it is standard for fuel sumps to be NPS, not NPT
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 06-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

just went to the saf-air site, they say NPT, but, how do you get flush from NPT??

not gonna happen twice, each time you tighten it goes further down, that is how NPT works
dust

Old 06-15-2009, 09:19 AM
Bulkhead templates...

Education and Recreation, rinse and repeat...
Old 06-15-2009, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Well, just talked to the MFG, NO SPEC!

Talked to my buddy the machinist extraordinaire and when he did his vari he new a number of pipe fitters and per high pressure code, you must have 2 threads showing.

That be my rule, i'll mess with the NPT tap carefully to not cross thread till i have 2 threads showing, thats as flush as the "flush" fitting will go.

Love doing things right
dust

Old 06-16-2009, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Well, there are 4 or 4 manufacturers out there that make fuel tank drains, some are NPT, some are NPS. Don't assume, make sure you know what you are using.
dust